Potassium

Options
MFP calculated my potassium daily target at 3500 which is 24500 per week. Last week my actual was 310mg!! Is this bad or not a problem?

I hate bananas so what else can I have to up this?

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Potatoes and sweet potatoes are loaded with potassium, along with apricots and lentils. Low Sodium V8 is also a great option.

Bananas aren't that great when it comes to potassium anyway. It's a common misconception.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I monitor my potassium due to blood pressure. My diary is open if you want to look at it. There are lots of foods with potassium. The last few days mine hasn't been that great, but if you look previous to that you will see more high potassium foods.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on nutrition labels so you will find that many things that have potassium don't have it included on MFP. So just becasue you aren't hitting your target doesn't mean you are actually low.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm also under the belief that not all the potassium content is calculated in the database. It's a very hard goal to achieve in general though, but I think it's a great goal if we can get there. Aim every day to eat a little more fruit and vegetables. V8 is loaded with K unless you are worried about the salt. Add some dairy too.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I wish potassium was a required nutrient to be on food labels. It would be easier to monitor.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables in general are good sources, especially per calorie. I would start by eating both at every meal, and then you can reassess from there.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Watermelon and orange juice are great for potassium.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    lots of chicken and pumpkin
  • rhiannon737
    rhiannon737 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    please dont think i'm stupid for asking but why is monitoring your potassium important? i feel like i should be but i dont know what the benefits of high or low potassium are...
  • otyas
    otyas Posts: 4
    Options
    I think that if you are eating a balanced diet, a slight potassium deficiency day to day won't be problematic. Most people cant reach the recommended dietary intake and supplements are controlled due to the risks associated with ingesting too much. It can kill you.

If you are on a low carb diet and in ketosis however, you may want to look for ways to supplement potassium. Your doctor may prescribe slow K, if your electrolyte balance is worryingly low. First choice, you will probably want to look at increasing dietary intake. Avocado, light salt (contains potassium chloride), bacon, broccoli and yes...bananas. .

Do you have symptoms such as muscle weakness, cramps, dizziness? If you do, speak to your doctor. If not most people would benefit from an increase in dietary sources.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    please dont think i'm stupid for asking but why is monitoring your potassium important? i feel like i should be but i dont know what the benefits of high or low potassium are...

If you have low potassium for very long time you could have some heart issues, I had a very very low potassium and had to go the hospital and had to have an IV put in.
  • Elby0030
    Elby0030 Posts: 32
    Options
    According to Borat, Kazakhstan produces the world premium Potassium;

Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium!
    Other countries have inferior potassium
  • otyas
    otyas Posts: 4
    Options
    LOL:laugh:
  • alisondavidson9
    Options
    I monitor my potassium because I'm a runner and if I don't get enough I get sore muscles and slow recovery, but I'm constantly low! I really hope it's because not everything in the food database has potassium listed.