Beginning tae kwon do

Options
alantin
alantin Posts: 621 Member
Hi. I just thought to say hi and maybe find out if there are other people here that are into martial arts. :smile:

I used to do tae kwon do back in the days but life happened and years later I found myself in a pretty bad shape and looking for a nice way to exercise. I have been somewhat overweight most of my life even though I have done some swimming, gone to gym and stuff. I just never really cared about my weight..
Now I wanna get in good shape to get good at this new found old hobby. Well.. Good health and seeing my abs are definitely motivating goals too. :wink:

I think I have some 20 kg (Isn't that something like 40 lbs or so.?) to shed for starters and after that I might try some gym to build some muscle, but that's another story. Right now I'm at around 92 kg which should translate roughly to about 200 lbs (?).

I found the Iphone app and loved it, although the database doesn't have most of the stuff that they sell in the grocery stores in Finland and the measurements are often strange. Well.. A chance to learn something new I guess.. :smile:

Is anyone else here into martial arts or perhaps using the site to help reach their goals in some sport?

Replies

• FreindsCallMeCoach
    Options
    i do karate and am loking to start bjj and hoi jeoon moo sol mainly to get fit and have good self defence
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I trained for several years in Kung Fu but had to give it up dues to health reasons, when the weight comes off and I get my fitness levels back i'm starting up again
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    JoggingAllTheWay:
    Starting again can be interesting. These are pretty intense sports and it's not very fun trying to catch your breath after a half an hour while others still keep going. :tongue:
    Well.. I guess, it'll get better soon!

What happened? Did you blow a knee or something?

FreindsCallMeCoach:
    It might be cool to do krav maga for self defense.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    i was hit by diabetes when i was 15 after 4 1/2 years of training, which made it impossible at the time to keep it up. I remember going from being super fit to unable to exercise for more than 5 minutes without actually passing out.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have been doing taekwondo for 10 months now...can't get enough of it!
    I hope that by losing weight & getting in better shape it will help me to train better.
    I did find that even with training 3x a week it wasn't enough to lose weight so I have had to add in some other workouts and finally the pounds are starting to drop!