Running 10K everyday to extreme?

Options
Hi,

I've done this before, I know it's not impossible, but that was 30lbs ago. This last year due to surgery and other stresses I've gained a bunch of weight. It feels just wrong on my body, so I have a lot of motivation to exercise. I'm wondering if I start running 10Ks again every day if I'm going to destroy my knees or hips or shins or anything else. Due to the extra tire around my middle and because I am getting older.

I can run a 5K without much trouble, but it just seems to short to me. I do run outside on the open road because treadmills are boring torture devices in my opinion (in my opinion only no offense to anyone who likes using one). I live in a beautiful rural area that fortunately and, unfortunately, has quite a few hills. My speed is way down right now. I'm doing 10-minute miles when I use to do 8 minute or even 7.5 minute. (Remember there are a lot of steep hills) So I want to change that as well.

I'm hoping that if I do 5 minute warm-ups and cool downs I'll help save my knees.

Any advice?

Replies

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Every day?

No rest days?

That sounds like a bad idea.

Build up patiently just like most running programs advise.

Surgery and weight gain sound like additional recovery time items. Definitely not indicators of zero recovery time.

You may need to take it more slowly than typical, definitely not more aggressively.

Maybe you can find other lower impact exercise options. Diet is a good way to drop pounds along with exercise. Running it off isn't the only way.

Diet won't wreck your joints either!

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Work your way back slowly. Running too much too soon can/will cause injury.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm at 142 days running at least 10k per day - it took me about 1 year to reach this level so take it easy at the beginning - increase time and mileage gradually

it's a personal choice, depending on many factors. so far no health problems for me, maybe I'm just lucky, maybe my body is OK with it, who knows
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think you will see bigger improvements in your stamina/pace if you incorporate rest days. Plus an injury is more likely without rest/cross-training and that will only set you back.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    I'm at 142 days running at least 10k per day - it took me about 1 year to reach this level so take it easy at the beginning - increase time and mileage gradually

it's a personal choice, depending on many factors. so far no health problems for me, maybe I'm just lucky, maybe my body is OK with it, who knows

And we're done here. Nothing else needs to be said about this topic.
  • 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just add 10% milage each week to your current running amount. You will be at the 10k per day in no time. Not extreme at all I run around 50 miles a week no problem. Though it did take time to get there. Elites will run around 100 miles a week. Personally however I like a program that breaks the milage into different distances to take my example 3 days of 5, 2 days of 10, 1 day of 15. Always keeping a 321 123 ratio of runs 6 days a week.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    As others have said, start conservatively and gradually increase as the weeks go by until you reach the stage where you achieve your goal.

It is inappropriate or reckless progression that will cause problems, not the goal itself.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Squirrel698 I think if you approach this as reaching your best for who you are today, listening to your body and doing adequate supports like stretches and strength training, you can go far.

But if you are trying to rush back to the person you used to be, you are bound to be disappointed.

You've got a body with different demands. Listen to it and respect it.

I saw a suggestion yesterday from a triathlon athlete that made a lot of sense. It's called the brick. This could give you the challenge you crave while being kinder to the joints.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice, it's very helpful. I have been cleared by my doctor for everything but that doesn't mean I'm back where I use to be. It is part of my personality to take everything to extremes so being told to cool my jets is good.

I am starting a diet program with intermittent fasting to keep the calorie count down. Now with less meat, due to all the reports coming out.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Plenty of runners run that milage or more every day. You'll know what's right for your body. Increase milage slowly. Minimize impact on knees and hips my running on trail with a form that encourages a soft foot landing.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    also

- make sure you really like it, it's a mental effort to run everyday, especially on "bad" days, running just for losing weight won't work in the long term

- forget the pace at the beginning, running at fat burn heart rate (slower) will be better for you, and build up the distance first, so your body get sgradually used to the effort

- don't underestimate a 10k run, when you'll be able to run it comfortably, a 10k is still a good effort. I'd suggest don't underestimate any distance to be fair. When I start to run, as every newbie, I was enthusiastic and I was running 4-5x per week in my first 2 weeks, going from 100m to 8k in a week. result = 2 weeks off due to foot inflammation.

- hills can be your friend, as you'll use different muscles

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Squirrel698 if you are reducing red meat, remember to replace your protein sources. This could be chicken, fish, eggs, and beans/lentils.
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    what about doing a run streak--so maybe 10km 3x a wk and the others are 1mile! and you can play around with what days you are doing 10km and have flexibility. or set a km/wk goal and run everyday but base the distance on how you are feeling!! enjoy!!!!
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You will see better results in fitness and weight loss if you take one day off exercise completely. Optionally you can do something like an easy walk and stretching to improve recovery and keep a routine.

You will see better fitness results by varying your workouts. If you really just want to run don't run the same distance every day. Maybe do a 5K one day and try to push the pace. Then do a 10K a couple of times per week at a pretty relaxed pace. Then one day per week do a long run that is ~50% of your weekly mileage.

You will see better results both in fitness weightloss, injury prevention, and overall health if you incorporate other exercises besides running into your routine. Especially some form of resistance training at least a couple of times per week.