Insanity

Options
I recently told me boyfriend that if he did Insanity and didn't quit that I would do it after him. I really thought he was going to quit...but he didn't. So now in 4 days I have to start and I'm really nervous because I'm so used to just going to the gym and logging my calories, so I'm nervous to start a new routine where I can't really accurately log the calories I've burned. I know it's a good idea to switch things up, I'm just nervous. I was just wondering I guess if anybody on here has done Insanity and if it has worked for them?

Replies

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yep it's legit and it's intense. It's still my go to for cardio when I work out at home. If you're already doing a routine at the gym you probably won't have that big of a problem transitioning to it. Might get some DOMS the first week from the power jumps and jack squats type stuff. Something I always do when I'm going to start a new program is run a zero week. Basically do the first week of the program but only at 50% intensity. This way you can get some work in on those muscles so you won't get DOMS to bad, familiarize yourself with the movements and transitions and just get comfortable with the program. Then once that weeks up restart the program from the start and go at 100%. Good Luck :)

• joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi, insanity is good. Dropped 30 pounds doing it! . don't worry about if you are used to exercising. In the first week or so just get used to the movements and routines and before you know you'll be going as hard as you can and be enjoying.

In terms of calories you could just adjust your activity level on MFP but for me if weight loss is the aim experiment with your calories if your loosing it at x amount of calories stick to that if not drop your calories by 100-200 a week. If your feeling really drained and weight is dropping fast might want to consider adding 100-200. Personally I found adjust the activity level on MFP worked fine.

I still use it twice a week in addition to my strength training its a great tool to use in your fitness goals .
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Insanity works but you have to stay motivated. Just press play and do as much as you can. You will build that strength and mental energy for it. (If not, there is always a pre-workout supplement you can take like caffeine, assault or mr hyde lol)

You will need to increase caloric intake to account for the expenditure that this program has. like the person said above, in his 2nd paragraph :)

Just push like Shaun says and you will be fine. Give yourself time to adjust to the pace and form, and youll be fine. <3
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Insanity or other routines like this are very effective. That said, they can have more "advanced movements" than you would normally encounter. If you're not used to a movement, take it careful and easy, building up to it at the level intended. There are high instances of injuries from Insanity and the Beachbody programs that are so popular right now. That is not to say that you should do them, by any means.. they can be great tools in your arsenal... just be patient with yourself while you're getting the form correct to avoid accidental injury. Use your tools to your advantage, use them wisely and you can keep using them for along time to come... use them unwisely and you might end up setting yourself back farther than you'd prefer.

*edited for spelling.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If the only thing you're nervous about (per your post) is not being able to accurately calculate the calories burned, then I'd say go for it.
    Here are the things to be truly worried/nervous about.......injuries. Insanity is an intense cardio workout, along with being "balls to the wall" speed wise. While I will probably never do Insanity again, I recommend to others to be conscious of form first, speed second. Go at a speed that you can comfortably do while maintaining good form. The speed will come in no time. If you just push play, and try to keep up with the people on the screen with no regard for form, you stand a chance of injuring yourself.

FYI, the reason I will never do Insanity again. Well, I'm not sure if it occurs with all people, but the intense speed coupled with the high impact nature of it caused soreness in my ankles, knees, and lower back.......not muscles pain, which I could deal with, but joint pain/soreness (which isn't as easy to deal with).
  • ambreenmc
    ambreenmc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you starting tomorrow?.. I can do it with you