1800-2000 calorie diets

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I agree sad to live being hungry- the only time I'm hungry is about 730 am after 75 weights and 30min cardio but I eat 1000 calories and 100 grams of protein at 830am and I'm great with just one more meal and a small snack the rest of the day. I have lost over 100lbs and am pretty ripped couldn't do it being hungry all the time

Yes, I'm jealous of the typical MFP user who has it easy (though most do not even comprehend just how hard it is for some of us, and they still believe they have it hard). I have times when I'll get frustrated enough and eat too much. I'm at around 1,600 calories daily to finally get some weight loss. I was hungry all the time when I was on 2,100 calories daily and at 1,800 calories daily; except I would lose much more slowly (or not at all) at those calorie levels.

Still, there are days that I just can't stand it anymore and I eat too much. Those days can take weeks to erase. I've had a lot of challenges with weight loss that most on MFP do not understand both from a scientific perspective (sometimes I understand the science of what is happening and sometimes I don't... in cases where I understand, it's because of unusual ways my body works - I have medical conditions and more training on some of them than most M.D.'s) and from the perspective of how challenging it is.

Having said that, my advice for the OP is the same as earlier (though maybe it is better understood now): If you can't find something that works, decide whether losing weight is worth being hungry. If it is, then accept the hunger as a "cost" of losing weight.

The real "cost" of weight loss to you is that you won't accept a slower rate of loss and you would rather be hungry all the time just to lose weight quicker.

I used to be like you. Weight loss was hard and I was starving all the time. Then I decided that slower loss wasn't such a bad thing. The choice of which pain you endure is yours. You can suffer the pain of hunger or the pain of a slower loss. Just like you have the choice of the pain of weighing food or the pain of wondering how accurate you are.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    At almost 2 years losing weight, I have tried everything in the book (more fiber, high and low of every combo of macros, loads of water, etc.). For me, the only thing that works is to make a conscious choice to either do what it takes to lose weight or not. I just have to accept that being hungry all the time is a sacrifice needed to make in order to lose weight.

I'm similar. Fats/protein don't work for me. I've found that drinking more, especially around meal time, helps a little... but feeling bloated is not the same as feeling full/satisfied. Caffeine helps a little, but again, not the same.

The best thing I can do to deal with hunger is to keep busy so I'm not thinking about it. I've also found that IF helps a bit, as it allows me to eat 1 or 2 larger meals and actually be full... I just have to deal with not eating anything throughout most of the day.

Admittedly, I have some emotional issues regarding eating/food, so my issues may not be exactly the same as yours.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I agree sad to live being hungry- the only time I'm hungry is about 730 am after 75 weights and 30min cardio but I eat 1000 calories and 100 grams of protein at 830am and I'm great with just one more meal and a small snack the rest of the day. I have lost over 100lbs and am pretty ripped couldn't do it being hungry all the time

Yes, I'm jealous of the typical MFP user who has it easy (though most do not even comprehend just how hard it is for some of us, and they still believe they have it hard). I have times when I'll get frustrated enough and eat too much. I'm at around 1,600 calories daily to finally get some weight loss. I was hungry all the time when I was on 2,100 calories daily and at 1,800 calories daily; except I would lose much more slowly (or not at all) at those calorie levels.

Still, there are days that I just can't stand it anymore and I eat too much. Those days can take weeks to erase. I've had a lot of challenges with weight loss that most on MFP do not understand both from a scientific perspective (sometimes I understand the science of what is happening and sometimes I don't... in cases where I understand, it's because of unusual ways my body works - I have medical conditions and more training on some of them than most M.D.'s) and from the perspective of how challenging it is.

Having said that, my advice for the OP is the same as earlier (though maybe it is better understood now): If you can't find something that works, decide whether losing weight is worth being hungry. If it is, then accept the hunger as a "cost" of losing weight.

The real "cost" of weight loss to you is that you won't accept a slower rate of loss and you would rather be hungry all the time just to lose weight quicker.

I used to be like you. Weight loss was hard and I was starving all the time. Then I decided that slower loss wasn't such a bad thing. The choice of which pain you endure is yours. You can suffer the pain of hunger or the pain of a slower loss. Just like you have the choice of the pain of weighing food or the pain of wondering how accurate you are.

No, I'm at a slow loss already. I've been on this path since Jan. 1, 2014 and I've lost 30 lbs. That is not even close to a fast loss.

ETA: To be fair, I would be hungry at any deficit and even at maintenance. I've tried a lot of things and have found that even under the best combination of foods and eating times, I am hungry with anything less than 4K-5K. That is actually progress, because there was a time I would be hungry with anything less than 9K-10K calories.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I practice what I call "Discipline training" I have a chocolate bar one square a night not the entire bar and I enjoy that taste for what it is not what it could be.. At work people bust out big bags of chips for everyone and I eat JUST ONE CHIP!! I love the taste want more but have train my mind to say no. It works you have to turn food into fuel not pleasure once you get passed the addiction you can control your urges and the calories will decrease drastically..

With that being said yes I could eat a bag of Chips and the entire candy bar but my current protein and fat Macro goals would be over in calories do to eating those items so I don't..

Congrats on your current progress and I do wish you the best
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

No, I'm at a slow loss already. I've been on this path since Jan. 1, 2014 and I've lost 30 lbs. That is not even close to a fast loss.

ETA: To be fair, I would be hungry at any deficit and even at maintenance. I've tried a lot of things and have found that even under the best combination of foods and eating times, I am hungry with anything less than 4K-5K. That is actually progress, because there was a time I would be hungry with anything less than 9K-10K calories.

That's definitely progress, but I think that some of that is also in your head. There's a difference between physical hunger and mental hunger. It took some unhealthy methods for me to learn the difference and to no longer feel like I am starving when I'm under 4k calories.
  • carbfrenzy
    carbfrenzy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm sorry for not being back sooner--my internet kicked off. For the first question, I am not missing not being full, but am having trouble with being actively hungry. I would open my diary, but I often am not good about logging my food--I find it to be exhausting to do every day. I pay attention to calories, but I can clearly see that I am eating too many carbs and not enough of other things. Which is why I was hoping that people might post examples of what they eat and how much to get started on trying to work on feeling fuller and eating the same calories. Thank you for those who opened their diaries to me. I will be peeking through!