People shoving food in your face...ugh!

Options

Replies

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    "Thank you, but no. While it looks delicious, I am struggling to improve my eating habits, and choose not to try it. I appreciate your kindness, understanding, and support!"
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There are some pushy mother effers out there. I can see where some people are coming from - "it's easy, just do this. Just say no, just eat it, etc."
    But it can be a lot harder, and aggravating, if they're as pushy as some people I know. And it's not easy for everyone to "just have one bite" and move on.

An example of pushiness with an actual convo today at work:

Coworker: today is national chocolate day, so have some chocolate (she's bearing three bags of chocolate candy)
    Me: No thanks.
    Coworker: Oh you will have some! It's national chocolate day!
    Me: Oh no I won't!
    Coworker: Well if you don't have any that means you don't like me and we're not friends!
    Me: Oh come on! *takes a mounds bar and puts it in my drawer*

I've had someone scream and throw food once because I declined repeatedly. Some people are unstable.
    Unless you fear they will do you actual physical harm if you don't take the food then a simple no thanks or one of the other tips in this thread should suffice.
    If someone said I didn't like them and wasn't their friend if I didn't eat something then I would say okay and move on with my life. I wouldn't take the food.
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate going out to friends houses. They've made this wonderful new dish that you just have to try! You don't want to be rude and refuse, but you know that if you have a problem with moderation after taking a bite of something delicious, it's hard not to overeat. We are going to a Halloween party friday night, and if it wasn't for my little boy, I wouldn't even go. My friend has a little boy, and he plays with him. She's one of those bubbly kind of girls that put's a spoonful of food to your mouth and says, "oh, you have to try this, it's delicious." She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are. I would just tell her off, but I'm a peacemaker, and I don't like to cause scenes. What would you do? Wow, I just realized that this sounds like a Dear Abby column!

I would tell them you just ate a cheeseburger and it upset your stomach, so you won't be able to eat at their party.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate going out to friends houses. They've made this wonderful new dish that you just have to try! You don't want to be rude and refuse, but you know that if you have a problem with moderation after taking a bite of something delicious, it's hard not to overeat. We are going to a Halloween party friday night, and if it wasn't for my little boy, I wouldn't even go. My friend has a little boy, and he plays with him. She's one of those bubbly kind of girls that put's a spoonful of food to your mouth and says, "oh, you have to try this, it's delicious." She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are. I would just tell her off, but I'm a peacemaker, and I don't like to cause scenes. What would you do? Wow, I just realized that this sounds like a Dear Abby column!

I would either leave some calories for the party or just say no. It is always my responsibility to say yes or no.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I get along great with all of my coworkers, but if they tried something like that I'd say "yep, we aren't friends" and be done with it. If the problem continued I'd report them to my manager or HR. I've had to do that about a coworker who was treating everyone like they were incompetent idiots when we are all professionals many with multiple degrees and years of experience. Then again, I'll eat some chocolate, cause I love it. I've turned down food before though if I'm not feeling like it and no one acts like that.

I doubt I'd get to the point where I'd consider someone a friend if they tried to pull manipulative crap like that on me. I just won't put up with it, it isn't worth my effort.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    There are some pushy mother effers out there. I can see where some people are coming from - "it's easy, just do this. Just say no, just eat it, etc."
    But it can be a lot harder, and aggravating, if they're as pushy as some people I know. And it's not easy for everyone to "just have one bite" and move on.

Coworker: today is national chocolate day, so have some chocolate (she's bearing three bags of chocolate candy)
    Coworker: Well if you don't have any that means you don't like me and we're not friends!

or just turn around and walk away ....

Kind of hard to do when she's standing at my desk, in my doorway, and I can't leave the desk because I'm at reception... But thanks for the great advice. I think I did what I had to do to get her out of my face. And still didn't eat the candy (but I will when *I* want to).
    The worst part? This "Mean Girl" is in her 50's!
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Kind of hard to do when she's standing at my desk, in my doorway, and I can't leave the desk because I'm at reception... But thanks for the great advice. I think I did what I had to do to get her out of my face. And still didn't eat the candy (but I will when *I* want to).

Are you sure she wasn't just kidding? I couldn't associate with someone as childish as that, if she was serious. I would tell her "fine" and end the work friendship. That's so stupid, is she a child?
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Me: Oh come on! *takes a mounds bar and puts it in my drawer* OK

The bolded would have been my response to this nonsense.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »

Are you sure she wasn't just kidding? I couldn't associate with someone as childish as that, if she was serious. I would tell her "fine" and end the work friendship. That's so stupid, is she a child?

I don't consider her a friend - we work in a small office together, so I try to be "friendly" with everyone so not to have hostility where I spend most of my time (work). Yes, she is childish. She's upset that she is not disciplined as I am, so she tries to get me to eat candy. When she asks me if I worked out that morning and I say yes, she calls me a b****. She half jokes and is half serious.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't had a situation where saying no enough times didn't work. Granted, sometimes I've had to say no quite a number of times.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Do you work at Mean Girls Inc? Seriously, that sounds so childish I can't imagine that grown adults in a professional environment would ever say those words out loud.

I am of the same train of thought. I cannot fathom people around me being so pushy about food. Yet, there are countless threads about this same topic, so apparently it's common.

I actually know a few too (one being my mom)... It's very obnoxious. Comments like 'oh but one isn't going to kill you' or 'but you're so skinny, you need to eat' etc. I'm typically not one to turn away food but it's especially annoying when it's something you don't actually like in the first place (happened to me with pizza once - it had mushrooms and olives on it. Yuck).

I'm 100% sure that it's because they will somehow feel less guilty for indulging if someone else is too - notice how it never happens with the healthier stuff?

So yeah, I totally get it. But there will always be delicious food around you, so it's really up to you to decide what you want and don't want to indulge in, and stuck to your guns..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Exactly my reaction.

I really can't even imagine.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I don't consider her a friend - we work in a small office together, so I try to be "friendly" with everyone so not to have hostility where I spend most of my time (work). Yes, she is childish. She's upset that she is not disciplined as I am, so she tries to get me to eat candy. When she asks me if I worked out that morning and I say yes, she calls me a b****. She half jokes and is half serious.

Wow. Mean humor. Unprofessional.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

Me: Oh come on! *takes a mounds bar and puts it in my drawer* OK

The bolded would have been my response to this nonsense.

Exactly my thought.

And then I would get my resume together because a workplace that tolerates such childish and unprofessional behavior is probably not somewhere I want to spend the majority of my waking hours.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed that this wasn't a thread about a professional clown's dietary problems.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    "I'd love to, but I have these terrible cramps, and...oh god..." then grab your stomach and run to the bathroom. People usually stop asking questions at "explosive diarrhea."
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm 100% sure that it's because they will somehow feel less guilty for indulging if someone else is too - notice how it never happens with the healthier stuff?

It's also definitely a control issue.

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just set boundaries and say no.

If I know about a situation like this in advance, I'll plan ahead so that I have enough calorie to eat a small amount.

Otherwise, if it's a last minute thing, I just tell them I will be bringing my own food. I will take a packed lunch to a lunch date with a friend. We still get to catch up, so who cares if I'm eating a different meal. No one I know is fazed by it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Take a rain check. STOP giving in to a situation that will make you miserable. The truth will set you free.