Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I like DOMS, can't really say why though :confused:
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I really don't think about it much, If i'm beating my logbook and getting stronger week to week month to month i really don't worry much if i'm getting sore or not.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I remember liking it when I was younger because it made me feel like I'd accomplished something - the "no pain, no gain" mentality. Now that I have fairly regular aches and pains in various parts of my body, and I move partially to PREVENT that, it takes on a new perspective.
  • TheDancingWriter
    TheDancingWriter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lack of DOMS doesn't mean you didn't work out hard. Even when I started seriously lifting weights, I've never suffered from DOMS. I was doing push-ups before then and, yeah, got DOMS when I first started those. There is no scientific consensus about why DOMS happens. Since I'm so active in general I hardly get DOMS anymore. My butt muscles are always sore after a dance class, but that's common among all dancers.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like the feeling of being a little stiff and a little sore- but straight out and out- crippling doms? not so much.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    no idea; i loathe it!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm on training break until next week and I will be starting again with a strong hypertrophy component to my program.

I expect my suffering will be legendary, even in hell.

But I'm kinda looking forward to it.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    fannyfrost wrote: »
    People who enjoy it are just happy that they got something out of the workout. It isn't the pain they enjoy (well unless they really like pain, but generally that is a small percentage of people), it is the feeling that the workout was effective.

I don't enjoy DOMS, but if I felt like a muscle needed a workout and I get sore after, well I know I got it!

This exactly for me. Particularly for those of us who've worked out regularly for years. When I do get any kind of muscle soreness it tells me I've targeted an area I must've been neglecting, so I see it as a good thing. Not the pain itself, but the accomplishment.

This! I just take it as a sign that that particular muscle group needed the exercise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    aarar wrote: »
    I'm weird, I actually enjoy the pain. For me it's a reminder that I did something good for myself.

I get this

But I don't get DOMS that often and also don't confuse them with a sign of a successful workout

PREACH!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,167 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    DOMS makes me feel just a bit sad ... that I've let myself go enough to feel DOMS when I start working out again.

Maybe I should add that just about the only time I experience DOMS is if I haven't been weightlifting for 6+ months, and then I start again. DOMS will hit me hard the day after the first over-all workout, then mildly after the second and third workout, and then it's gone. I can increase weights, increase intensity, change my routine, etc., but as long as I'm working out regularly and making the changes relatively gradually ... no DOMS.

And that's the way I like it. :)

For me, DOMS means I've let myself become unfit.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Curious?? Does lactic acid have anything to do with DOMS?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm on training break until next week and I will be starting again with a strong hypertrophy component to my program.

I expect my suffering will be legendary, even in hell.

But I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Best of luck with your new routine.