Poor college student

2»

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    As someone above mentioned, you'll get better advice if you're more specific about your situation :)

Another idea is to buy things that are reduced and freeze them (if possible). Things like bread, milk, meats etc can all be bought and frozen the same day, and as well as being cheaper they'll also stay good longer.
    If you have enough fridge/freezer space, batch cooking can be a good option. Things like pasta bakes, chillis, soups etc keep well.
    Something I love is my george foreman grill. As well as cooking meats without the need for oil (and all those extra calories) it's great for doing things like toasted sandwiches or wraps. I find I tend to get bored of making the same thing over and over, so it definitely helps to make sandwiches more interesting.

Another thing to think about is where you're currently shopping. I'm also a student, and almost everyone I know shops in one of the bigger chain supermarkets, because it's easier. There's a perfectly good, cheaper supermarket a short bus ride away, but everyone would rather be within walking distance or get it delivered. Changing up your shopping habits may be a good way to save some money :)
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    ejudge13 wrote: »
    Help, I'm a broke college flood and idk how to eat healthy and be able to afford it!

If you're in the USA...

https://youtu.be/Q_bfPm4UQFs
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I agree with the crockpot people. I love mine so much I actually have 2. You can also bake in your crockpot. I 've made both bread and crustless pumpkin pie in mine. Oh yeah and if you struggle with morning you can even make oatmeal in the crockpot overnight and have it when you wake up. Oats are mad cheap. I got a bag at the farmers market for $3 and it was 4lbs. That is a lot of damn oats. Just make sure you get steel cut if you are going to cook them in the crockpot, rolled oats tend to cook faster than I sleep for and I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to deal with oats.