Broken bone

I recently broke my tibia in a cycle accident and have been reading I need many more calories as the body is trying hard to mend the bone. I am getting very little exercise, mainly sitting around trying to get better with the occasional walk around the house on crutches. Does anyone know how many extra calories I need in this situation? I have been at around 1400-1700 per day.

Replies

• 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    What would your maintenance calories be, with activity set to sedentary? That's what I'd shoot for less maybe 100 cal/ day to cover errors.

Sorry about the break, breaking bones is the pits!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    200-300
  • flump1977
    flump1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere someone who normally needs to eat 2500 calories per day to maintain weight would need to eat 6000 with multiple broken bones. I only have 1 broken bone so don't think i'd need to eat 240% of my calorie intake.
    I'll look into my sedentry calories and possibly increase a little and eat lots of protein.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Eat at maintenance and get plenty of protein.
    Look up exercises in a chair if you start getting restless.

Cheers, h.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Where did you read this? This is what I would do: I would ask my doctor if I should take any supplements. Meanwhile, I would eat a balanced diet at "maintenance" caloric intake. I would also avoid alcohol in excess. I hope you heal well.
  • flump1977
    flump1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'll have a chat with the doctor and see what they say. I've been taking supplements and having lots of water. I've also got some weights I can exercise with just to get my heart rate up a bit until i'm ready to start walking again. Avoiding sugar as I think this can slow down the healing process.
    Cheers. P
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    I broke a fibula last January. Not fun. I ate at maintenance and only gained about a pound over two months. I also took strontium to help mend the bone. It worked--85% healed after 4 weeks, but my break wasn't very complicated.

Good luck to you!