Weight training or cardio for weight loss

Options
I'm 23, height of 5'4 and weight about 165. I'm trying to lose weight, but I seem to be maintining or gaining weight and not losing any. Would it be more beneficial to do more weight training or cardio for weight loss? And should I drink protein powder after doing cardio?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Cardio is to help your heart and lungs. Weight training is to help you retain your muscle and improve body composition as you lose weight. All three make up an efficient weight loss plan.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Actually a food scale would work better for weight loss.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You should do a bit of both...but for health purposes, not weight loss.

Weight loss comes from eating less calories than you burn. Of course, exercising will cause you to burn a few more calories, but it's much easier to cut 500 calories of food out of your daily intake than it is to really burn 500 calories in the gym.

Protein shakes are not necessary unless you're not otherwise getting enough protein through your regular daily diet. They have no effect on weight loss (save for needing to account for the calories they contain).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Cardio is to help your heart and lungs. Weight training is to help you retain your muscle and improve body composition as you lose weight. All three make up an efficient weight loss plan.

This!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

This, plus a food scale. Forget the protein shake. I see way too many people at the gym running a mile, then downing a 120 calorie vitamin water. It cancels out their work, weight loss wise, if that's why they're running.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing both weight training and cardio - both are beneficial for calorie burn, body definition and all round health. Having said that, remember to keep an eye on your diet. I can't recommend purchasing a food scale enough. Weigh your food, eat to a sensible deficit (make sure this is worked out correctly) and keep at it. Don't worry about protein shakes - they aren't necessary at this point.

I'm at maintenance and I sometimes drink a protein shake if I'm lacking in protein for the day but generally for weight loss, it isn't going to matter.