Snacking

I do very well all day .. then around 4pm I could eat my right arm. It's too early for dinner so a snack is usually ok. I would love some ideas for filling snacks. Sometimes I have english cucumber dipped in salsa, or carrots and hummus. Unfortunately, these are healthy yet not as filling. I don't want carbs, but would love something different. any suggestions?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Greek yogurt
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Usually fruit and Greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, or nut butter. I know, fruit is carbs, but the fiber really helps.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Broccoli, nuts, tofu!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Are you more hungry at night than in the morning? Could you try eating more of your calories in the evening when you're ready to eat your arm?

Snacks: Apples, jerky, yogurt, bit of hummus with veggies, avocado (I'm weird and eat them with salt and hot sauce).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Hard boiled eggs, apples and peanut butter, Greek yogurt, beef or turkey jerky, string cheese, nuts, protein bars
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Greek yogurt is my go-to afternoon snack for the same reason. I am fine between breakfast and lunch (9ish to 1pm-ish) but then I get snacky in the afternoon. I learned to space it out by having coffee/tea mid-afternoon, then a greek yogurt at 4.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I find the timing is important. If I eat before I get home, I won't raid the fridge. Also, I'd have planned my snack in the morning when I was thinking clearly.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    My afternoon snack is almost always a cheese stick wrapped in a few slices of a lunch meat and some mustard. I need protein right at about the same time as you otherwise I eat while I cook dinner!
  • jeremynotsofat
    jeremynotsofat Posts: 15 Member
    I have no luck with snacks. A truly low calorie one does nothing for me. My latest strategy is to eat only 3 or 4 times per day, and make the meals slightly larger than my first instinct. I'm getting used to being a little hungry in the afternoon, and accepting that I'm not going to starve to death before dinner. Just a suggestion.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    questionfear.. Yes I try to do same. coffee for sure. I found QUIRK it's awesome!! it tasted like greek yogurt but it's actually a cheese mixture. That helps and i wish I liked cottage cheese..
  • tracefan
    Thanks Jeremynotsofat. I do try that sometimes but I found I'm better off with smaller meals and a snack. That is why I'm trying to find something a little interesting. so bored. I did buy PB2 That is awesome
  • tracefan
    brb That is a good idea ..
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Porridge! :D
  • tracefan
    Porridge? I don't even know how or where to make porridge lol
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Greek yogurt and an apple
    cheese, fruit and nuts

Those are my two favorite go to snacks
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    tracefan wrote: »

I *think* porridge is what they call hot oatmeal in the UK.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    1/2 cup full fat Greek yogurt (Fage), a chopped walnut, cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey-178 delicious and satisfying calories!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    tracefan wrote: »

Sorry, I should have clarified..

In the UK - we have instant porridge pot's - you pour in hot water, stir it and eat on the go! :]
    They are delicious and around 187 calories - very filling too.
  • tracefan
    Pink Porridge sounds great... but I've only heard of it in goldilocks and the 3 bears. ha ha wish we had it here in US
  • tracefan
    WE have cream of wheat