Does my list of vitamins etc sound ok?

Options
I'm trying to do my own research and not fall into the traps of A. believing pseudoscience nonsense that "everyone knows" and B. whining for strangers on the internet to do my work for me. That being said, I've made a list of changes I want to make and if anyone else has already implemented some of them and can tell me how it turned out I'd be very grateful.

my problems: acne, i take forever to heal anything(acne/scratches/literally my body doesn't heal), thin hair, no energy. so many bruises. My legs freak people out.

What I've come up with:
1. a multivitamin. not sure which yet. probably a basic one that doesn't have the other stuff on the list so I can keep track of percentages.
2. folic acid
3. fish oil
4. zinc
5. vitamin a
6. some kind of electrolyte supplement regularly.
7. a serving of whey protein every morning with water. I don't do breakfast or work out but I also eat meat like once a week if that so it couldn't hurt to get some protein every day right?
8. eggs. thinking of boiling a dozen every sunday and eating them when I want them throughout the week.
9. way more water. not really questioning this one but it is a change I plan on making that should work with all the other stuff I think.

Thoughts on that/more suggestions? More info on me below if that's helpful.

I am 24, 5'3'' and about 130 right now. I'm a pescetarian who doesn't eat well;I know ideally these things happen on their own with a well balanced diet but I'm realistic about what I'm willing to change right now.

This is NOT geared towards losing weight. My issue is in the 160-175 range my skin and hair are lovely but below 140 I get oily/acne and my hair thins.

The best advice would be eat better. So I guess I'm looking for the second best advice. If any of these supplements are effective/how to make them more effective/ other ones I haven't thought of.

Also I am prescribed adderall 20mg a day. Took it for most of grade school then stopped when I moved out of my moms house a few years ago but it helps so back on it. When I'm off it I do poorly at my jobs/school and for some reason I can't stop getting speeding tickets/moving violations. But it also makes me feel kind of worn down and I think it makes my skin worse so I thought it worth mentioning. Or makes me not drink enough etc which then makes my skin worse.

Replies

• cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My advice is to visit your doctor.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. Don't take supplements that you don't need.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cairnsmom wrote: »
    My doctor wants me to take prenatal vitamins and eat better. I'm not pregnant.

Edit also birth control. She wants me back on the pill bc it basically eradicated my acne for all of high school but I'm convinced the reason it sucks since I quit the pill is because my hormones are messed up from taking the pill for so long.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Then take prenatal vitamins and eat better. Skip all that other stuff.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    all that other stuff is basically what is in the prenatal vitamins. and protein. is there something unhealthy in my list?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    In what, if anything, are you actually deficient?
  • victoriavoodoo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I did my homework. Prenatal vitamins have levels of folic acid that are harmful if a fetus isn't using some of it. Side effects include rapid heart rate and easy bruising. I already have these things. Folic acid is on my list but in the proper amounts for a non pregnant person.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Edit also birth control. She wants me back on the pill bc it basically eradicated my acne for all of high school but I'm convinced the reason it sucks since I quit the pill is because my hormones are messed up from taking the pill for so long.

Prenatal vitamins are just vitamins with specific doses aimed at pregnant women. Taking them won't make you pregnant or have any strange effect, although you possibly want to warn any sexual partner who might happen to see them lying around. I suspect your Doc probably told you to take them because he/she knows they have the right doses of the vitamins that you need.

On the birth control issue. Do what you feel is right for your body. I hate being on hormonal birth control because I felt like it put my hormones out of whack but yes my skin was better and it helped with my low iron. You just have to decide what's more important to you. There's always non-hormonal birth control but it might not have the same affect on skin etc.
  • victoriavoodoo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Is there a way to find out definitively?
    The only one I know for sure is chronically anemic but I'm already prescribed iron for that.
    What sort of test would let me find out?

My dr and I agree that I need vitamins I just don't want to take prenatal vitamins based on what I've read and because its weird.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I did my homework. Prenatal vitamins have levels of folic acid that are harmful if a fetus isn't using some of it. Side effects include rapid heart rate and easy bruising. I already have these things. Folic acid is on my list but in the proper amounts for a non pregnant person.
    My advice is to follow your doctor's instructions.

What you actually want or choose to do is, of course, up to you. If you would rather treat yourself that allow a doctor to treat you, I support your choice. It just isn't what I'd advise.

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough fat? Fat is good for your hormone balance. The guideline is .35-.4g/lb of body weight. It might help? Or it might not be your problem. When I started eating enough fats my skin cleared up and my hair is much shinier (and I shed less).
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Also, I met a lady while travelling who used to grow her hair long and every 6 months or so cut it off and donate it to make wigs for kids with cancer. She swore that prenatal vitamins made her hair grow like crazy. Kinda makes sense when you think about it. Pregnancy is growing a baby, so generating new cells. So is healing and growing hair
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I picked up a teen multivitamin once because I'm on extra Folic Acid for life. Like this one. You can get all the vitamins you need from a multivitamin, as these things are regulated for RDA.
    https://sites.google.com/site/bestfoodsforacne/

After a dreadful bout of Montezuma's revenge on the road, I carry Gastrolyte with me on trips. It's a powder so it lasts a long time, and it has a good blend of electrolytes. It tastes like soapy, salty lemons.

Since you've already checked in with your doctor I'll skip that part and suggest the easy bruising could possibly be from low iron/vitamin B's/protein. I see you have a plan for that.

In order of priority to feel better, eat your macros, your fruits and veggies, water, then worry about vitamins, and lastly, electrolytes.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Waste of $$$$. Eat healthy and those are all the vitamins you will need. Per my MD.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »

Prenatal vitamins are just vitamins with specific doses aimed at pregnant women. Taking them won't make you pregnant or have any strange effect, although you possibly want to warn any sexual partner who might happen to see them lying around. I suspect your Doc probably told you to take them because he/she knows they have the right doses of the vitamins that you need.

On the birth control issue. Do what you feel is right for your body. I hate being on hormonal birth control because I felt like it put my hormones out of whack but yes my skin was better and it helped with my low iron. You just have to decide what's more important to you. There's always non-hormonal birth control but it might not have the same affect on skin etc.

I am aware they won't make me pregnant; and also that I am a hypochondriac but when you look it up the general consensus is to not use them for off-label purposes because they contain things that are harmful if you get too much of them. I have a non-hormonal iud and with the exception of the acne I'm completely satisfied with this decision.

When I was heavier the acne didn't even matter much because it healed. It went away. I have scabs from weeks ago right now that aren't active infections but don't clear up in a week like they used to which has led me to the conclusion that there is some sort of nutritional deficit.
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Do you eat enough fat? Fat is good for your hormone balance. The guideline is .35-.4g/lb of body weight. It might help? Or it might not be your problem. When I started eating enough fats my skin cleared up and my hair is much shinier (and I shed less).

This is helpful; I'll look into this further. Thank you.
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I picked up a teen multivitamin once because I'm on extra Folic Acid for life. Like this one. You can get all the vitamins you need from a multivitamin, as these things are regulated for RDA.
    https://sites.google.com/site/bestfoodsforacne/

After a dreadful bout of Montezuma's revenge on the road, I carry Gastrolyte with me on trips. It's a powder so it lasts a long time, and it has a good blend of electrolytes. It tastes like soapy, salty lemons.

Since you've already checked in with your doctor I'll skip that part and suggest the easy bruising could possibly be from low iron/vitamin B's/protein. I see you have a plan for that.

In order of priority to feel better, eat your macros, your fruits and veggies, water, then worry about vitamins, and lastly, electrolytes.

Thank you, I'll look into gastrolyte. =]
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to eat healthy and hydrate yourself properly. I only take omega3 and magnesium because they seem a bit harder to obtain from food, unless you eat oily fish 3 times per week etc. Drink pure coconut water for electrolytes but only after a workout because you will lose it due to sweating, iodised salt in your diet also helps.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Prenatals are great for skin and hair, as is a diet rich in a variety of foods. I'd stick to your doctors advice.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to find out definitively?

Your doctor can order blood tests that will tell him/her what you are deficient in. In the meantime, I'd do what the doctor said to do.

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Keep doing as you are doing and nothing will change....taking a few vitamin pills also won't help you!! You are prepared to spend the money on 'a quick fix' rather than spending the money on wholesome foods that will fix your issues.......doesn't make sense to me!