Trying to eat more -- feeling sick.

Options
I'm a relatively small female (26/5'4"/145 lb), so I don't have a big deficit to work with -- I've been on roughly 1200 Cal and I've been focusing on choosing really nutrient dense, whole foods since I don't have a lot to waste on empty calories. But now I'm trying to get back in the gym and do some lifting, so I'm trying to increase my intake a bit, especially on protein.

Here's the problem: I've been feeling really nauseous when I try to eat more. I feel fine throughout the day, and during my workouts, I'm not low-energy and I'm not hungry. I know I need to take in more to avoid damaging my efforts (and more importantly health) in the long-run, but I'm just having trouble keeping much down without feeling sick.

Has anyone else experienced this in the early stages of either reducing or increasing their calorie intake? I'm wondering if it's just temporary, something possibly related to the fair amount of stress I've been under lately, or if it's something I should consider talking to my doctor about.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Are you adding more calories by adding more volume of food? Or are you adding in some higher calorie/low volume options?
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hmm that's actually a good thought. I guess I've been focusing more on volume -- I tend to batch cook so I just eat more of whatever I make. Maybe I should try some denser foods.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How tough are your workouts? When I was on a VLCD diet (medically supervised) I got to the point where I hated the thought of food. My daughter throughout her pregnancy was nauseous, even though she needed more food.

I think one can get to a point where the body's systems just surrender and instead of signalling hunger, signal nausea. I ate a titch too much at dinner last night, and I got a case of the hiccups for over an hour. Annoying. I had to wait it out.

My daughter carried crackers with her everywhere. Me, I worked hard to get my minimums in daily, even if it meant taking a twenty minute break halfway through the meal. Then I'd give it another try. I suggest you eat slowly and take breaks as needed.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're truly nauseated and not just feeling full, I would call the doctor. Nausea shouldn't be considered a normal state of affairs when raising or lowering calories.

If you're just feeling stuffed, break the food up into smaller meals and eat more of them.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    If your just trying to up your calories and protein what about a protein shake.

Depending on your protein that like an extra 30g of protein and only requires a glass of water in volume.

Or is that too much and cause you to feel sick?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Gall bladder, maybe. If skin or eyes turn yellow, see doctor right away.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories slowly,
    I am work off a TDEE of 1400 though my sedentary intake is 1200. When I raise or lower my calories I do it 50 cals a day for a week then another 50 the next week until I reach my goal.
    This is half a serving of yogurt or cottage cheese, half a banana, a small orange etc.

Also, if you have just started lifting, you might be finding your tummy is tense ( I don't know how else to describe it) afterwards for a few hours, I did.

To make sure I was eating enough to fuel my workout I started having a high protein snack before bed. Just some fruit and yogurt, cottage cheese, crackers and veg slices, or a protein bar. This made sure I was getting the calories I needed for a lunchtime work out but not being too full when I was working out.

Another thing I found useful was sipping a protein drink mixed with water throughout the day.

Try just rearranging your eating times a bit so you eat before you hit the nausea phase.

If upping your calories slowly doesn't work, or changing when you eat, go and see your doctor.

Cheers, h.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories slowly,
    I am work off a TDEE of 1400 though my sedentary intake is 1200. When I raise or lower my calories I do it 50 cals a day for a week then another 50 the next week until I reach my goal.
    This is half a serving of yogurt or cottage cheese, half a banana, a small orange etc.

This^ Raise your calories gradually over time 50-200 additional calories per day, adding that amount again until you go from your "normal" intake to your desired intake. Making slower changes over time allow our body to adapt at the same time our thinking processes change... in many cases this makes a change easier to make as it's baby steps and not a shocking change. It helps me to think of this as a long, slow process rather than trying to force change on myself... I almost always rebel against myself if I don't and out of "self spite" will cause myself to fail my goals.
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! Great suggestions in here. I'll try upping my intake slowly, eating denser foods (and the protein shake idea! I used to do that but had forgotten about it), and playing around with meal timing. Hopefully that fixes it and this doesn't last too long.