Baking - Healthy treats that taste good to non-dieters!

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any healthy baking recipes that doesnt have the amount of junk in in standard homemade cakes? I do a lot of baking normall for events but would like to add a dietary health option of somesort thats as unprocessed as possible that doesnt limit me to just making flap jacks. Any ideas?

Replies

• VelvetMeow
    VelvetMeow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made these black bean brownies that were a big hit at a recent get together! Some people who ate them said they didn't even realize they weren't regular brownies!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There are some yummy, whole-grain, savory waffles. Some thin crackers are quite good and low-cal and can be made with whole wheat.

Generally, when people want cookies, cakes, pies and tarts, they want the sugary, high-calorie variety.

If you want to make a more healthy option, make something healthy that tastes good, but don't try to make a "healthy version" of something else.

The granola or spiced, roasted (and cooled) edamame will be better because it's supposed to taste that way and tastes best that way. A healthy version of something else that tastes better when it's not the healthy version will suffer in comparison. IMO.

I always try to make whatever it is as good as that thing can be.

Crackers are really easy to make and for some reason, people are much more impressed with crackers that are unique than with a cake. You make a cake and people say, "Ooh, it's so pretty" and "Oh, it's so good." You make crackers and people say, "You made these?!?! How did you do it?!" as if it's a magic trick, lol. Even if you say, "I mixed it up, cut it and baked it," they'll still be awed, lol.

There are a lot of very yummy crackers to be made. It's a wonder that Nabisco doesn't do more of it. Maybe they can't be made to last (with preservatives) in a way that tastes good?
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I normally reduce the sugar quantity stated in most cake/biscuit recipes by up to half and I don't notice any major difference in the taste.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Real cakes are made with real ingredients, sugar, flour, butter, eggs etc, not junk. The problem with "unprocessed" and baking, is that baking is processing... too bad. You shouldn't eat cake every day anyway, so have some real cake at special occasions - even when dieting, yes!
  • AylaStryder
    AylaStryder Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    VelvetMeow wrote: »
    I made these black bean brownies that were a big hit at a recent get together! Some people who ate them said they didn't even realize they weren't regular brownies!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

Oh I'll give these a try!
    Real cakes are made with real ingredients, sugar, flour, butter, eggs etc, not junk. The problem with "unprocessed" and baking, is that baking is processing... too bad. You shouldn't eat cake every day anyway, so have some real cake at special occasions - even when dieting, yes!

I dont eat cake really tbh not when a banana can give the same sugar boost without the same amount of junk, I dont see bleached flour as unprocessed just like I dont see refined sugar as unprocessed and when I say processed those are the terms I mean. Unfortunately indulging in cake every 2 to four weeks isnt an option for me and not a temptation either when you see the amounts you need to put in. Its just an alternative as theres the regular favorites I make and one option is always a new option. :)

I'll need to look into the crackers as well as I'm sure my LO will enjoy those :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I bake cakes and also cookies a lot and the basic ingredients I use are flour (usually whole grain), olive oil, eggs, fruit purees or yoghurt, nuts, sugar or honey. I would not call any of these ingredients junk. I eat these things almost daily, not just once every few weeks. My weight is not affected. Cakes and sweetbreads are things I usually bake in order to have a healthy, filling treat actually, so I have no idea how someone cannot indulge in one slice every few weeks. Unless you are used to huge portions?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Delicious baked goods are one of the great gifts of life. They are not "junk". As with most of the great things in life, they are meant to be used in moderation and in appreciation for their innate goodness.
  • AylaStryder
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I have no idea how someone cannot indulge in one slice every few weeks. Unless you are used to huge portions?

I dont generally eat sweet things and dont really enjoy eating sweet things (yes I'm one of those strange people), If thats what you likes to do then kudos to you but not for me sorry, I dont see why I should force myself to eat something when I enjoy a piece of fruit more, Just to fall in with the cake and "I have a sweet tooth" crowd, I have no idea why anyone would want to press that on someone either.

The cookie ingredients are a good shout, I'd probably replace the sugar with the honey, My partner regularly eats oatmeal and raisin so he'd quite likely enjoy that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I used a commercial chocolate muffin mix and used 1/4 cup apple sauce instead of 1/3 cup oil. I added one tablespoon oil instead. These muffins were a hit all around, and far lower in calories.

I made tigernut cookies that came out to 15 calories each. Nobody believed me that they were sinless, and a diet nut refused to try them. It's vegan, paleo, and gluten-free. I was able to share with my celiac friend. I'd bought the tigernut flour on sale at the local bulk barn, so had to use it up somehow.

@catscats222 that's a great idea. I've shared hummus with friends at work.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I make pies. With fresh fruit, not canned, and little added sugar. They are more tart and less gooey than some folks are used to, but I like to be able to identify what fruit is in it by sight! Blueberry and granny smith apple are my favorites. Fewer calories than a slice of cake, plus some vitamins/minerals from the fruit.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oooh, that tart is beautiful. Does it have a custard base?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No baking for me I treat myself to 1 smore weekly=220 calories. ! sheet Nabisco Graham Crackers broken in 1/2 1/2 hershey chocolate bar 2 toasted marshmallows I make using my gas stove using kabob six. So good and I get my sweet fix. As long as you include in your daily calories, enjoy!!! B)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    I make pies. With fresh fruit, not canned, and little added sugar. They are more tart and less gooey than some folks are used to, but I like to be able to identify what fruit is in it by sight! Blueberry and granny smith apple are my favorites. Fewer calories than a slice of cake, plus some vitamins/minerals from the fruit.

Who makes homemade pie with canned fruit (other than pumpkin)!? Might as well use the freezer pie dough, too, which means you might as well buy a Mrs. Smiths.

If I make a pie, it's always with fresh fruit. I don't know anyone who bakes homemade pies that starts with anything else.
  • AylaStryder
    Options

Oh wow! Thats lovely! I think I'll make one of those as well for a change, Any tips?
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I posted this some time ago and I'm still making and eating them! Scroll though all the posts to find recipes' calorie counts getting lower and lower as I adjusted/replaced ingredients. Think cookie sized, not cake sized....http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1071601/does-anyone-want-another-cheesecake-recipe-87-calories/p1
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Who makes homemade pie with canned fruit (other than pumpkin)!? Might as well use the freezer pie dough, too, which means you might as well buy a Mrs. Smiths.

If I make a pie, it's always with fresh fruit. I don't know anyone who bakes homemade pies that starts with anything else.

I make pies at times with canned fruit. Not canned pie filling, but just the fruit. Cherries don't grow here in the southern U.S., so it would be awfully expensive and a pain to pit them to use fresh. I buy cans of tart cherries and use less sugar than the recipe calls for (I've always used less sugar, I prefer the taste that way). I saw canned raspberries the other day and thought that would be tasty mixed with fresh apples into a pie.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how someone cannot indulge in one slice every few weeks. Unless you are used to huge portions?

I dont generally eat sweet things and dont really enjoy eating sweet things (yes I'm one of those strange people), If thats what you likes to do then kudos to you but not for me sorry, I dont see why I should force myself to eat something when I enjoy a piece of fruit more, Just to fall in with the cake and "I have a sweet tooth" crowd, I have no idea why anyone would want to press that on someone either.

The cookie ingredients are a good shout, I'd probably replace the sugar with the honey, My partner regularly eats oatmeal and raisin so he'd quite likely enjoy that.

But then your original post makes no sense! If you do not like sweets and they are not tempting for you, why avoid having non-diet versions of them at home, or whatever the people who are going to eat them find acceptable? If you are not eating them anyway?
  • AylaStryder
    Options

But then your original post makes no sense! If you do not like sweets and they are not tempting for you, why avoid having non-diet versions of them at home, or whatever the people who are going to eat them find acceptable? If you are not eating them anyway?

Because my family do? and wheres the harm in having a healthy option to try? people generally like trying new things, is it such a sin in your opinion to try your hand at making something healthier? At the end of the day it doesn't harm anyone.