My first REAL NSV!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is an addictive component. It's called endorphins.

My first NSV was recovering from a fall and I've never forgotten it. That was the day I believed I could have a different life.

I blogged about it. I told my dietitian, my co-workers, random acquaintances, and I still mention it.

The feeling, glorious, and I haven't forgotten.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! That's wonderful.

I'm just finishing up a workout program and thinking of doing C25K next because I've always thought I hated running but have never really given it a go. Seems like something I should do.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Yay for you! That's wonderful.

I'm just finishing up a workout program and thinking of doing C25K next because I've always thought I hated running but have never really given it a go. Seems like something I should do.

It's really fun. I'm enjoying the heck out of it. It's not as hard as I thought it would be either, but that's probably cause I'm not coming from a place of "couch", before I dedicated myself to an actual raises-in-intensity-over-time program like C25K, I was already using my treadmill to just speedwalk. But since you've been working out already too, I bet it won't be so hard for you either, to start. I highly recommend it, and I just started, so take that with a grain of salt, but I've never seen anyone on here say they tried it and hated or even disliked it so there's that:)
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    it's so weird how we can walk a lot but can't run. I swear i feel it in all my muscles when i run even my arms! i can't run/job for 5 minutes yet lol

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    That must feel really great! Nice job!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    catt952 wrote: »
    it's so weird how we can walk a lot but can't run. I swear i feel it in all my muscles when i run even my arms! i can't run/job for 5 minutes yet lol

Right? I read something once where some anthropologists found some evidence about early man. Apparently we engaged in what is called "pursuit predation" which is essentially following prey at a steady walking pace for days if necessary until the animal basically dies of exhaustion (paleolithic life was brutal). So it turns out running really WAS a save-your-life-only reflex for the most part. I dunno what they concluded about that and how it relates to us, but it seems to me if we're basically animals, exerting ourselves is a choice only we 21st century humans make on purpose. But being that we're not tribal neanderthals anymore, and running is awesome and fun, I'm all for it!!!
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Keep this feeling.

Oh I have NO intention of ever letting this slip away, it's way too amazing. I find my motivation to do dumb boring stuff like laundry has gone up! Now I look for excuses to complete menial daily tasks I would normally blow off in favor of youtube and the couch. I NEVER want to not feel like this ever again. LOL, can fitness be addictive? I think so.

LOL. Today I didn't feel like working out, but I still needed to earn some exercise calories, so I was trying to find something to do. I ended up helping my husband stack firewood. He said I didn't have to help, and I said "No, no, I want to help. I'm counting this as my exercise for the day." But, sadly, the database doesn't have weird stuff like stacking firewood, or cleaning the refrigerator, or cleaning the chicken coop, listed. So, I just use "housework" or "gardening," depending on if I was outside or inside at the time.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Keep this feeling.

Oh I have NO intention of ever letting this slip away, it's way too amazing. I find my motivation to do dumb boring stuff like laundry has gone up! Now I look for excuses to complete menial daily tasks I would normally blow off in favor of youtube and the couch. I NEVER want to not feel like this ever again. LOL, can fitness be addictive? I think so.

LOL. Today I didn't feel like working out, but I still needed to earn some exercise calories, so I was trying to find something to do. I ended up helping my husband stack firewood. He said I didn't have to help, and I said "No, no, I want to help. I'm counting this as my exercise for the day." But, sadly, the database doesn't have weird stuff like stacking firewood, or cleaning the refrigerator, or cleaning the chicken coop, listed. So, I just use "housework" or "gardening," depending on if I was outside or inside at the time.

@pearso21123
    You know, when the database doesn't have a logging option for stuff like that, I check the MET. It has really weird stuff in it like that. Like one thing I saw was pushing a baby in a stroller, and another was like loading/unloading furniture from a truck. Maybe you could check these out?

Here's the explanation for MET (which is quite simple, and of course, counts your current weight): http://www.livestrong.com/article/18303-calculate-calories-burned/#page=2

And here's where you get the MET score for any given activity you can't find on here:https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories

As always, underestimation is safer than overestimation with CO
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    @pearso21123

08009 3.0
    Carrying, loading or stacking wood,
    loading/unloading or carrying lumber, light-tomoderate
    effort
    (Phillips 1954)
    08010 5.0
    loading/unloading or carrying lumber, moderate
    effort
    5.5 (Lundgren 1946)

There see? I found it with a simple search on that second site for "stacking firewood"
  • pearso21123
    Options
    @pearso21123

08009 3.0
    effort
    (Phillips 1954)
    08010 5.0
    effort
    5.5 (Lundgren 1946)

There see? I found it with a simple search on that second site for "stacking firewood"

This is awesome, though I'm still trying to figure out how to convert a MET into calories. I need to keep looking; I'm probably just missing it.

You actually burn calories driving!!! Do you know how many hours I spend in my car? But, I'm not going to count it- it is daily activity of living for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Nice going! Makes me want to get off my couch :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    @pearso21123

08009 3.0
    effort
    (Phillips 1954)
    08010 5.0
    effort
    5.5 (Lundgren 1946)

This is awesome, though I'm still trying to figure out how to convert a MET into calories. I need to keep looking; I'm probably just missing it.

You actually burn calories driving!!! Do you know how many hours I spend in my car? But, I'm not going to count it- it is daily activity of living for me.

i wouldn't count it either:) Here's the simple formula.

Convert your weight from lbs to kilos: Weight/2.2 =Z

Multiply the MET value of an activity by your weight(K): MET x Z = Y

Multiply the resulting number by the number of hours doing the activity (so for 30 minutes=.5 hrs)

Y x .5 = Calories Burned, and as always, consider rounding down to avoid inaccuracy
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Thank you! I'm having to take a break from actual jogging til I can get some running shoes to correct my MASSIVE overpronation before I permanently damage something though:( if I could change anything about my body, it would be my horrible terrible knock knees...
  • pearso21123
    Options
    @pearso21123

08009 3.0
    effort
    (Phillips 1954)
    08010 5.0
    effort
    5.5 (Lundgren 1946)

Multiply the resulting number by the number of hours doing the activity (so for 30 minutes=.5 hrs)

Y x .5 = Calories Burned, and as always, consider rounding down to avoid inaccuracy

Simple enough.

Here's another good site I just found, where you can just enter your weight and it does the math for you: http://calorielab.com/burned/.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    @pearso21123

08009 3.0
    effort
    (Phillips 1954)
    08010 5.0
    effort
    5.5 (Lundgren 1946)

Simple enough.

Here's another good site I just found, where you can just enter your weight and it does the math for you: http://calorielab.com/burned/.

I totally have that in my favorites! These two are really good too. The best ones I have found for altering caloric output measurements for a TREADMILL walk instead of a concrete one. I was going way over cal before I figured out the treadmill doesn't burn as much. It's something to do with how gravity is different when you're actually going a direction.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned_list.asp

http://www.prohealth.com/weightloss/tools/exercise/calculator1_2.cfm
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Thank you! I'm having to take a break from actual jogging til I can get some running shoes to correct my MASSIVE overpronation before I permanently damage something though:( if I could change anything about my body, it would be my horrible terrible knock knees...

That sucks. I pronate as well. Great wear pattern on my shoes after a while :laugh:

There are some great bargain shoe places, if you know why type you need. I hope you get some soon, it would be great to keep up with the momentum now that you're excited about it!

• CoffeeNCardio
    Options

That sucks. I pronate as well. Great wear pattern on my shoes after a while :laugh:

There are some great bargain shoe places, if you know why type you need. I hope you get some soon, it would be great to keep up with the momentum now that you're excited about it!

Well I just know that I need overpronation correction and a little extra in the padding department because I'm quite heavy and I don't want the impact to destroy my knees or something, especially cause I'm knock kneed. I'm going to "Runners World" on Monday to get an actual gait test done and see EXACTLY what I'll need, then I'm gonna get on my knees and plead with my mother to pay for the actual shoes, cause Rent is happening and I can't do it but I don't wanna quit and she's the only one around here with any expendable income ha ha!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    oops, guess it's called runner's roost
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Once I knew what I was looking for I have found shoes (my favorite brand with the pronation control, but not the exact same style) for $60, compared to over $200 in the specialty stores. I'm in Canada, but there should be similar type places close to you. Or maybe you can find something on clearance. I hope you find something! The enthusiasm is great. I miss how I felt when I could run for a bit longer than where I am right now. Just need to get off my butt :smile:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Once I knew what I was looking for I have found shoes (my favorite brand with the pronation control, but not the exact same style) for $60, compared to over $200 in the specialty stores. I'm in Canada, but there should be similar type places close to you. Or maybe you can find something on clearance. I hope you find something! The enthusiasm is great. I miss how I felt when I could run for a bit longer than where I am right now. Just need to get off my butt :smile:

I'm just so scared if I quit now cause of this leg/foot issue I'm having that I'll never start again. I'm not good at hitting walls while on a roll. I'm much better at keeping the roll going. I think they call that "highly susceptible to burn out" ha ha:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!