tips and tricks for running 1+ hours?

Options
so i can't believe i'm at the point where i'm posting something like this...but super proud i got here!

i've been running regularly and can now run without stopping for at least a 10k. i normally don't bring anything on my 10k runs because i'm usually okay for an hour without water or anything. i'd like to go on longer runs (last time i stopped at 6.5 miles but i could have just kept going!) but i've read that if you are working out for a longer than an hour you really need to replenish with water + something even more than water. i'm stuck? how do runners do this? what do you bring and how do you bring it with you? HELP!

Replies

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When I go for a long run, I wear a hydration belt that has 2 bottles. I fill one with water and one with Gatorade and use the pocket for fuel (gels, chews, whatever works for you). I also have a handheld water bottle that has a small pocket.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've gone on plenty of runs over an hour without bringing any water. I hate water sloshing in my stomach and usually just rehydrate afterwards.

If my mouth gets really dry from dehydration, sometimes I'll pluck a leaf or something and chew on it. Some parks have drinking fountains.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I use either a handheld bottle with pouch for GUs or a running belt. I live in Phoenix so especially in the summer I need to be drinking plenty. I don't have problems with sloshing in my stomach because I don't chug liquids. Just sip them as I go. I also recommend you don't just drink straight water. If you're sweating and only drink water you're diluting your electrolytes instead of replacing them. I carry about half water and half gatorade so that I'm replacing the things I'm losing as I sweat. As for what type of drinks or fuel, it all depends on the person. I can't handle the GU gels but Inhave friends who love them. I use the GU chomps. Basically, check out the fuel area of any sporting goods or running store and grab a few types to try a few times.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hydration and refuelling is super important during long runs, but I think you must find what works best for you

Personally, I don't like to bring anything with me, I get very hydrated the night before, even for very very long runs

you can bring gels/electrolytes solutions, but you have to try what's best for you

then, you need essentially 2 things to run longer

- strong will, you must be focused
    - run more to be able to run more
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    handeye wrote: »
    so i can't believe i'm at the point where i'm posting something like this...but super proud i got here!

i've been running regularly and can now run without stopping for at least a 10k. i normally don't bring anything on my 10k runs because i'm usually okay for an hour without water or anything. i'd like to go on longer runs (last time i stopped at 6.5 miles but i could have just kept going!) but i've read that if you are working out for a longer than an hour you really need to replenish with water + something even more than water. i'm stuck? how do runners do this? what do you bring and how do you bring it with you? HELP!

So I'd say there are two factors to think about; need and adaptation. As you get used to running more you get used to what hydration and nutrition needs are. So what's right for me may not be right for you now. I used to finish a 500ml bottle of water on a 5K session, now I'll go 10miles without carrying anything, and sometimes will go 13 to 15 miles carrying but not actually consuming.

In terms of need, it really depends how well hydrated and fed you are normally. And only you can answer that. You're unlikely to need electrolytes for less than 2 to 3 hour sessions.

In terms of practicality, for my long runs I'll wear an Inov8 race vest with two 500ml bottles, nutrition, first aid kit and shell clothing. But I run trails so if you're only running in a populated area that's probably a bit much.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A lot of factors go into whether you need fuel & hydration during a run. Its not a magical threshold. Play around and see what you need. Being fully hydrated at the start goes a long way
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't usually feel I need water or anything else with me unless I'm running for 90+ minutes, although I live in the UK so apart from July and August it's rare for the temperature to see the early twenties, and if I'm hot I bring water with me as heat exhaustion is absolutely no fun. Generally I feel it's more important to make sure I'm well hydrated before I start.

I hate carrying a bottle so I usually just plan my longer runs so they loop past my house, and I leave water or a sports drink on the bonnet of my car ready to grab.

Sometimes I bring a handful of dates/jelly babies with me to eat whilst I'm going. I use a running belt (the one I like is called Flipbelt) and I also have small pockets in my capris. Again, I feel it's more important to have eaten well beforehand (not less than 2-3 hours before for me, or I feel sick, and my preference is to run first thing in the morning when I last ate at about 10pm the night before).
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Another vote for just getting hydrated the day before. This also goes with eating carbs the day/night before. Your body retains something like 3-4grams of water for every gram of carb you consume. The longest I've ever done though is a half marathon in about 1:52...and then a couple of 10-11 mile runs too. Most of my runs are 10k or less and I don't take any water for those. I'm sure if I was going longer than 2 hrs I would want something. I was pretty gassed after the half.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    A lot of factors go into whether you need fuel & hydration during a run. Its not a magical threshold. Play around and see what you need. Being fully hydrated at the start goes a long way

Agreed.

I never taken fluids with me, though my training runs are rarely over 90 minutes... I hate carrying stuff, even small stuff, so there's no way I'm going out with a hydration belt or anything. I plan my runs to go near a park with water fountains, a stream I can drink from, etc. If it's especially hot, I'll drive my route and leave a gatorade or 2 at key places. But generally speaking, I take a gel or 2 and that's it.
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the tips! i guess i'll continue my long runs and see how i feel. and hit up a running store for these gels and perhaps a belt. :smile:
  • discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As others have said, its very much down to personal preference, specific situation, and finding where your own limits are.

I live in southern louisiana. In the summer, if I'm going more than 6 miles, my choices are 1) run somewhere where water is available 2) bring it with me or 3) be miserable. I usually opt for 2. I try to go with a handheld bottle, but when I get up into double digits and its hot, the water belt has to come out. Meanwhile, in the winter I wouldn't even think of bringing water for an 8 mile run.

As for GU and other things, I find I don't really need it until I get to double digit mileage.

If you made 6 and didn't need water, go try 7. If that feels fine, go do 8. You'll figure out how far you can go before you start to feel like you need extra water or GU. Just don't try going from 6 to 10 in one fell swoop. :)

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've gotten so used to carrying my handheld bottle that I even take it on races now. It is also super convenient to carry gels. I typically take Gatorade in it.

It is important to stay hydrated. I found out the hard way that not drinking enough (and espically not getting enough electrolytes) is a very bad idea. It caused me to get tunnel vision and almost pass out. I even went to see my doctor (something I almost never do :( ).

If I plan a run more than 60 minutes I take fluid. No exceptions.

EDIT to add: Take a look at my profile picture. It is a mid race snapshot of me running the Virginia Beach half marathon. Notice the bottle in my left hand. :smile:
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For runs over 90 minutes, I'll just bring a few bucks & hit up a vending machine or convenience store. Sometimes I'll just plot my route so it goes along a water fountain, or just loop the run twice and pop in at home for some water/gatorade mid-run (especially if I think I'll need a bathroom break).

When doing long 13+ mile runs for marathon training, I'll bring along gels (one per 30 min), moreso to get used to eating/digesting them before doing so during the actual race (where I'll consume every 20 min).