Diets dont work but people make a lot of money selling them

Options
Hey Folks.. I am so tired of dieting. I truly don't believe that they work and I am never going on a diet again. Diets are just like anything else that the media tries to sell us. I am just going to stop putting those foods in my mouth that kill me. eg MCds, soda , chips, cookies, candy. I am not saying that I will never have it again but its needs to be decreased seriously!!!. My hope is too be healthy. I am starting the master cleanse to do some detoxing and to reflex on what has been eating me. I really feel that food is just a vice that I use to avoid real issues that I do not want to deal with. The master cleanse will be difficult but it is the exercise that my brain needs to change. I am the only one that can make any changes in my life and a diet will only be temporary . I need a lifetime change. Please comment if you agree or disagree.

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You don't believe in fad diets but then you're going to do some ridiculous fad cleanse and then become orthorexic. Sounds legit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You don't believe in fad diets but then you're going to do some ridiculous fad cleanse and then become orthorexic. Sounds legit.

Werd.

Master cleanse = fad diet.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I really wouldn't bother with the cleanse because if your liver and other organs are working properly, there's no need to bother with that sort of thing. It's just another way for companies to make money. Just dive right in with the healthy eating!

Many people stuff their issues with food, so be prepared to deal with those things in another way, like journaling, getting good support here, etc. Food doesn't have to be the enemy. You just have to shift your view to seeing it as fuel and to going to moderation instead of unfettered stuffing. Good luck on your journey!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Werd.

Werd x 2
  • CrimsonHolly
    Options
    I agree with you that diets don't work. There's no money in people losing weight and keeping it off.

But I don't agree that food is a vice. Gluttony is a vice. But food is for nourishment and the right foods keep you healthy.

I had to Google master cleanse because I had never heard of it.

I did a juice fast for about a week but by day 5 asked myself why do I need to be so extreme. I traded binging for fasting. One extreme for another.

I think the key is educating yourself. What are you eating that is hurting you? and just as important, why are you eating it.

There are a lot of great documentaries out there about the food industry and dieting. You should watch some while you're on your journey. It may change your outlook on food. (My favorite is Hungry For Change.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Werd.

Werd x 2

Werd in triplicate

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Werd.

Werd x 2

Werd in triplicate

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

4thd
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No detox...not necessary. Your body has a built in detox organ.....your liver.

You need to create a good relationship with food....all food. Moderation is key. Diets don't work because they deprive you of things you enjoy. You aren't a saint....none of us are. You can enjoy your food. Plan your day of meals and incorporate some treats that keep you within your calorie limit. I do that every day and I have been successful.

And take your time. Slow weight loss is permanent weight loss. If it takes a year or 2 years or whatever, don't be impatient. Good luck!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The cleanse is another gimic. Just start eating healthy. If you start weight/measure and log everything that goes past your lips you will start to see where you have a problem. Start reading labels for portion sizes. When I started setting limits on carbs, fats, protein, and calories I started changing up items I ate. Instead of going to McD's for a hamburger I can stay home and cook my hamburger and add lots of veggies, have a side of beans, and a glass of tea for a lot less calories than just the hamburger at McD's.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Master Cleanse is another fad, why would you say you're not going to do them, and then announce that you are?

Your body doesn't need to be 'cleansed', it does it by itself.

Just eat less crap, and more healthy. Move a little :)

You'll be astounded by the results.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OP you are getting a lot of great advice here. Moderation, eat the foods you like without cutting out foods (and especially without cutting out whole groups/classes of foods) and keep a moderate deficit. Do some lifting if you want to retain some muscle along the way too. No cleanses or other gimmicks needed, only patience and determination. Best of luck!
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    Def not 1st post, or 1st time on MFP=TROLL
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In for Master Cleanse.
  • SHEEZLUVLLY
    SHEEZLUVLLY Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do think the master cleanse is a fad diet as well. I am doing a spiritual cleanse I labeled it master cleanse for understanding purpose. I have to fast and pray for strength to be a more educated eater. I appreciate your advice and I am so glad I joined the site!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do think the master cleanse is a fad diet as well. I am doing a spiritual cleanse I labeled it master cleanse for understanding purpose. I have to fast and pray for strength to be a more educated eater. I appreciate your advice and I am so glad I joined the site!!!

Good plan. Jesus will probably take the weight right off you as long as you cleanse your spirit through fasting.
  • RickyLuvsMary4ever
    RickyLuvsMary4ever Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Diets do not work!

Moderation does, want to see how to eat what ever you want and still lose weight, (46 pounds) check out my food diary, lol.

I eat McDonalds, Subways, Taco Bell and Wendy's because I eat those foods as occasional treats, not over eating them and displacing my usual fruits, veggies and lean proteins.

But I make informed choices and log everything that I eat.

Before you start any weight loss journey, do your own research and soon you will find what works for you while doing it the healthiest, mentally sane way possible.

I was interested in doing detoxing and so forth but after researching myself, the body does an excellent job of taking care of itself.

As for your spiritual purge, there is something in that! But you don't have to be extreme, start with one positive habit and then add on another, once the ball is rolling there will be no stopping you!

I have lost weight and regained it so many times in the past I decided that In order to give this a real honest chance I would have to approach this differently.

No fad diets, no weight watchers, herbalife or nutra system. No spending any money except for a gym membership and the cost of food.

So I did a web search on "simple diet plan for weight loss" and found this link,

http://www.gymjunkies.com/weight-loss-diet/

This was so simple!

Five small meals a day, lean meats and a water based veggie, a few servings of fruit and nuts.

Now, that I had a place to start I broke down (because I am lazy and I used to love to eat fast food) and started to cook my meals at home and pack lunches.

I cook my lean meats for 3 or for meals at a time, I use a food scale to weigh exact portions.

Lean meats in one bowl and veggies in another bowl, i dump it all on one plate and stick it in the microwave, meals in minutes.

Cooking food like this has worked so well I just feed everyone in my household the same way. I have a house of picky and lazy eaters so this method has been a godsend, with good results. My boyfriend dropped 20 pounds with out trying and my sister has lost weight too.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    never mind, I just don't get it
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    OP you are getting a lot of great advice here. Moderation, eat the foods you like without cutting out foods (and especially without cutting out whole groups/classes of foods) and keep a moderate deficit. Do some lifting if you want to retain some muscle along the way too. No cleanses or other gimmicks needed, only patience and determination. Best of luck!

I really like this guy!
  • mcammack2
    mcammack2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I like this MyFitness deal where I calculate what I eat daily. I am not worried about
    low carbing it but I am aware that the better I eat the better the Daily results
    are. I lost a avg of a pound a week in 7 weeks and I am weighing every Friday. If
    I do not lose weight I just go on to the next week. Still being able to eat what I want
    and make it a forever deal makes me excited about the near future.
  • SHEEZLUVLLY
    SHEEZLUVLLY Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks I decided against he detox. I am becoming comfortable with the idea that moderation is the key to longevity and it has worked today.