C25K questions + what else?

Hi everyone - I hope you survived your Monday.

I was doing some general jogging/walking intervals and figured I should do C25K since my goal is a 5K someday.

I know I need to do resistance training - feel free to lecture as needed - I am proud I am at least moving for now? I don't want to join a gym just yet, and still need to research on the best at home exercises (outside of cardio).

Those of you that have done couch to 5K - did you only do 3 workouts per week? Do you really skip days between running? What else do you suggest I do? Thanks for any advice!

K

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I'm doing C25K for the second time and just finished Week 7 this morning. I did it last year as well. There's a group on here for C25K that I'd suggest you join because there's a lot of great info, plus a daily update thread that's a lot of fun to read.

You do want to make sure you rest between runs, especially at the beginning, or you could hurt yourself. Also don't worry about going fast.

The days you don't do C25K you can certainly do other cardio - walking, biking, etc. I do C25K on Monday, Wednesday/Thursday and Saturday mornings. On Monday, Wednesday & Thursday evenings I strength train (I do work out with a trainer). Tuesdays after work I take alternating Pilates & Zumba classes. Sunday I do some other kind of cardio (walk outside, bike at the gym, exercise DVD). Fridays are my rest day.
  • kperry170
    kperry170 Posts: 7
    thanks a lot - I have joined the group!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Good! It's a really positive, supportive group.
  • Rest days are really important. I started with C25K a little over a year ago and just completed my first half marathon in April. Even with those distances, I still think it is important to NOT run every day. I typically run 3-4 days a week with cross training the other days (elliptical, bike) and at least one full REST day each week. It's important to rest those connective tissues and muscles...and avoid injury!

Good luck!
  • I'm doing the C25K again (well the Zombies, Run! version). I do strength training and C25K on the same day, off days are yoga and elliptical with Saturday as my rest day (which means a full hour of restorative yoga!). You can do anything just don't push yourself to the point of pain and feel free to repeat weeks if needed on the program. I have read many people, as it gets harder, find themselves repeating weeks before moving on.

Sadly I lost motivation the first time so I've only gotten to week 6 on my first try but this new app keeps me motivated to keep doing it! Just gotta find your thing!
  • Sarahmay03
    Sarahmay03 Posts: 11 Member
    I'm doing the C25K again (well the Zombies, Run! version).

Sadly I lost motivation the first time so I've only gotten to week 6 on my first try but this new app keeps me motivated to keep doing it! Just gotta find your thing!

I love the Zombies, Run! app. I find myself looking forward to the workouts so I can find out what happens next.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    What Zombie Run app do you guys use?
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    going from sedentary to walking and running, the rest days are important. My legs ached for the first two weeks and then it got progressively better. Good luck!
  • What Zombie Run app do you guys use?

literally Zombies, Run! the site is Zombiesrungame.com
    I have the C25K app and the story with Seasons 1 & 2 which is good for walking and/or running
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Definitely do your rest days! I started really going after it and doing 5-6 days straight. After about two weeks I had to take a whole week off because my legs constantly hurt. That then set me back about 2 days to get my stamina back. You would rather plan a day or two than have to take two weeks.