3000 calories high carb low fat diet

Options
so... i've seen lots of videos and comments on youtube saying they are in this vegan low carb high fat diet and can and probably will eat 3000-5000 calories a day. they (from comments) also claim that they don't gain any weight. videos show that the youtuber exercises but isn't 3000-5000 calories a bit excessive? as a non-vegan the amount is huge for me.
I'm not being an a vegan antagonists I just find it curious... strange even. also what about the sugar from fruits? don't fruits have sugars albeit natural?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Assuming you are not a bodybuilder or professional endurance athlete, you will gain weight eating 5,000 calories a day, regardless of whether they come from carbs, fat, or protein. If you want to lose or maintain weight, calories are the main thing you need to be looking at.

Fruits contain sugar, which in reasonable quantities is fine for you, much like anything else, plus they have fibre, vitamins etc., so I wouldn't worry too much about sugar from fruit unless you have a medical condition which means you need to restrict it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep, you ll be pretty sick on that diet! For one, say goodbye to your gall bladder!! :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and eat a regular diet albeit 3000 kcal is roughly where I hit on a daily basis. I don't believe in low carb as it doesn't suit my needs or goals. It can be an excessive amount of food for some, but not others depending on goals and activity levels. When I'm on a bulk or a particularly heavy/hard routine, I can easily eat 5000 calories... but I have to work up to it slowly adding an additional 100-250 calories/day each week until I get there.

As for fruit sugar, not really sure what that has to do with anything. Sugar isn't bad for you.. eating more calories than you burn is what's not good for you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height and activity level. I suppose if you are e.g. an NBA player, 5000 calories might even be a deficit for you when training. If you are an average height person with a mostly sedentary lifestyle, 5000 calories will result in a very fast weight gain, no matter if they come from vegetables or burgers.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yeah, was it Freelee claiming this by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuytGHlpNc

I reckon they just burn it off with exercise and general activity, or are overestimating their calorie intake. You can fiddle with macros and meal size timings to optimize your metabolism if you want, but at the end of the day it's still calories in vs calories out.
  • trixchialoveskimchi6
    trixchialoveskimchi6 Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    yeah, was it Freelee claiming this by any chance?

hahaha no. I don't watch freelee BUT I do happen to watch "what I eat as a vegan " videos when I'm bored.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I prefer vegan black metal chef. more entertaining.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Vegans, just like every way of eating, still follows the laws of thermodynamics. So if they are eating 3000-5000 calories, it means they are burning a lot of calories. And also, the majority people on social media are saying whatever they can to make money.

I maintain at 3000 calories with a desk, exercise 5-6 hours a week, @ 5'11, 180 lbs.