Water, Flavor addatives, diet soda Aspertame/Sucralose question

Hey everyone,

I've done a really great job lately eliminating diet sodas from my diet in a way such that I only have diet soda at parties and the occasional restaurant visit. How did I do that though? I had to find different ways to replace that fluid intake with healthier options.

The reason i left diet sodas (and thus all sodas) was because of the aspertame, it gave me headaches. I tried diet pepsi for a bit with sucralose but with the elimination of diet sodas I started adding flavors to my waters and soda waters. The issue here is that I have read that just like aspertame, sucralose (which is in most of these flavor additives) can give you headaches just as much and that sucralose is technically chlorine you're ingesting (in a chemically altered form).

I like drinking water, but would really like other healthy liquid intake options so that I don't get completely turned off from having soo much water. What things have you all done to keep a low calorie intake of liquids but aren't solely relying on water for your liquid intake.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Headaches are almost certainly from caffeine, not the sweetener. And sucrose is no more "technically chlorine" than table salt is "technically an explosive metal plus a deadly gas".
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    All things in moderation.

I drink 1 or 2 diet sodas everyday. No headaches for me. I don't drink Crystal Light, the citric acid gives me heartburn.

I drink plenty of plain water, and unsweetened iced tea. Nothing wrong with aspartame or sucralose (in moderation).....by my account.

Water may be an acquired taste, just as vegetables are for some people. I keep a Brita water pitcher in the fridge.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Headaches are almost certainly from caffeine, not the sweetener. And sucrose is no more "technically chlorine" than table salt is "technically an explosive metal plus a deadly gas".

I know several people who get migraines from drinking diet sodas, but regular doesn't affect them
  • bcurtiswx
    bcurtiswx Posts: 5 Member
    if i have mountain dew, for example, i don't feel any worse for the wear (from the caffeine especially), but diet sodas and these flavor addatives all get to me. I'm asking what else there may be available that isn't a sugar alternative like aspertame/sucralose.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Have you tried True Lemon? I can't remember if there's aspertame or sucralose, but ti's a water additive like Crystal Lite but made with actual fruit. I think you can get it at most stores, or you can order it online.
  • bcurtiswx
    bcurtiswx Posts: 5 Member
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    Have you tried True Lemon? I can't remember if there's aspertame or sucralose, but ti's a water additive like Crystal Lite but made with actual fruit. I think you can get it at most stores, or you can order it online.

I'll look into that , thanks!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I'm not sure what sure which additives are in the things I drink because I don't really care and in my opinion, I don't drink enough of them for it to have a negative affect. But, I drink 4-5 bottles of water a day, a glass or two of Gold Peak Light Sweet Tea, and I'll usually add a packet of Eco Drink (flavored vitamins) to one of the water bottles for the day. I used to occasionally drink Mio but the flavor started making me nauseas. Other than that, I might have a coke zero once a week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    If it gives you headaches, stop drinking it. If not, then what's the problem? Who cares if it causes headaches in others. Bananas are a common headache trigger too.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    I drink True Lemon (and True Lime, true Grapefruit and the orange one too) I also love LaCroix (flavored sparkling water with no artificial sweeteners)
  • JinxedyJinx
    JinxedyJinx Posts: 50 Member
    I drink flavored seltzer water all day long. Dasani, La Croix, Poland Springs... Anything I can find on sale. It really helps because I've never been huge on plain water and artificial sweeteners in drinks make me have to pee a lot. Also, the light carbonation can be just filling enough to ward off unplanned snacking.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Just had to.

549sucralose.gif?size=bestfit&width=339&height=357&revision=1

Chlorine:
    dd2e01ff3d11e002a6001c6917478558b78eb752.gif

Nope, different.

For an alternative to sodas, how about steeped tea?
  • jgnatca
    I see biosteel uses stevia as their sweetener.
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Coffee.
    Minimal calories and contains antioxidants.
  • Dora_Belle
    Dora_Belle Posts: 1 Member
    I also get headaches from sucralose and all those garbage sweeteners so I understand where you are coming from. I drink water, more milk than I ever used to, and the occasional light beer.

I used to add lemon/lime juice to my water but after a recent dentist visit I was told that doing that has eroded a lot of enamel off my teeth, which is gone forever. The dentist said that even using a straw isn't good enough, because it still touches your back teeth.
    He suggested adding things to your water like mint leaves, cucumber slices, small amounts of 100% pure fruit juices (like 2 tbsp. per cup).
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    I'll say it: All fake sugars are garbage, and should never be consumed.

Go ahead and crucify me. But every time I eat them, I feel weird, and I am much more hungry. Studies show they trick your brain, increase appetite, and you end up over eating as a result. They also lead to diabetes and other health issues.

If I want a sweet drink - I go ahead and drink a portion of the real stuff. It has a few calories, but I can budget that.

For calorie free drinks - seltzer water with natural flavors, and plain old H2O. I like water.
  • jgnatca
    I don't like your dentist, @Dora_Belle. The sweet and natural pure fruit juices will rot your teeth. How are you supposed to consume your vitamin C if it can't touch your teeth? The best advice I saw was to drink plain water after eating or drinking something acidic (or sweet). Or cheese. You could end your day with a bit of hard cheese.
  • jgnatca
    <--diabetic in remission here, and I've never stopped consuming artificial sweeteners. "Studies show" @steelyjoe22 . Cite, please. You are passing on junk science, which just confuses people. But I'll defer the Crucifixion.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    If it gives you headaches, stop drinking it. If not, then what's the problem? Who cares if it causes headaches in others. Bananas are a common headache trigger too.

He did stop drinking it. He's asking for alternate ways to flavor his water that don't contain aspartame.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    How much fluid are you drinking? :grey_question::grey_question:
    I ask because you mention "so much water."
    We do not require so much water that it is a burden. Remember that we get fluid from our other drinks and foods too.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Stevia is suppose to be a natural plant based sweetner. maybe you could check into it and see how it affects your body. I also like herbal teas(light sweetner), milk, I make smoothies using real fruit, milk etc.