Shin splint sleeves

Options
I've been running for a short period of time now and I always get shin splints. I haven't ran a lot since my ACL surgery about 14 years ago. I recently got some shin splint sleeves, but they come over my knee. Shouldn't the sleeve stay below my knee or does it even matter?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    toddhogsed wrote: »
    I've been running for a short period of time now and I always get shin splints. I haven't ran a lot since my ACL surgery about 14 years ago. I recently got some shin splint sleeves, but they come over my knee. Shouldn't the sleeve stay below my knee or does it even matter?

I don't think it really matters just so long as they stay up. Those sleeves are mostly a placebo effect when used during a run. The only consideration I would take is if it makes it more difficult to bend your knee while running.

• RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sleeves may help with prevention/recovery but they won't fix the problem once you have shin splints.

Chances are you have shin splints because of 1 of 3 things...
    1. You've increased your mileage too much, in too short a period of time. Running is largely about adaptation. Reduce your mileage until you can run pain free. This is often referred to as the terrible too's of running... Too Much, Too Fast, Too Far, Too Soon. Trying to run thru shin splints often leads to worse injuries which can include compression syndrome, and stress fractures.
    2. Worn, defective or inappropriate gear for the job - Every mile you run, your shoes are slammed into the ground with a force many times that of your body weight (some say as much as 12x, while others say 2-3x) This results in a breakdown of the support in your shoes. Shoes are said to only last up to 500 miles. This can be limited by your weight, running surface, environment etc. Also make sure you are using the right shoes for the task, ones designed for the purpose (running shoes). Get them professionally fitted at an actual running store (Running Room, Fleet Feet, Philapedes and not a big box store like W*!!Mart.
    3. Biomechanical defect - there is something wrong in the way you are running. It could be a muscle imbalance that is causing you a problem (or some other mechanical issue in your gait.) I would look at having a professional gait assessment done to assess how your running mechanics are. How is your form and gait?

I would suggest if 1 and 2 don't fix the issue, a Gait Analysis by a qualified sports physio or podiatrist is in order.
    Hope this is helpful
    Cheers,
  • toddhogsed
    toddhogsed Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks to both of y'all for the advice! I'll definitely take this advice and see what I can figure out.