Hello from an Overweight Middle-Aged Type 2 Diabetic.

Options
Hi All! My name is Liz. I've been a member of MyFitnessPal for a while now but have never really done anything with it. I am a diabetic (was diagnosed 3 years ago this month) and have managed to gain back all the weight I initially lost (plus a couple more pounds) and am on 3 different diabetes meds. Doc says the next step is insulin and I'm not trying to go there. So, here I am. I need to get serious but have a serious carb addiction (a HUGE no-no for a diabetic).

I live in South Central PA with my husband of 16 years, my two daughters (29 and 17) and my three grandchildren (9, 5 and 3). It's hard keeping my hands out of the cookie/candy jar (literally) with having little ones in the house but I need to do it...for them. Looking for accountability, support, encouragement, butt-kicking, whatever I can get. :smile:

Replies

• amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, Im also just starting back up
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a specific lower carb diet, like South Beach? The initial phase of these is very restrictive, but I do find it helpful for getting back on track and minimizing cravings. Then I add back in whole grains and fruits slowly.

Frankly, with a history of diabetes in the family, the little ones don't need to have a cookie/candy jar in the house. They should be introduced to healthier snacks now, rather than fighting with it later in the lives. Cookies and candy can be a small part of a healthy diet, but only small.
  • abjake55
    abjake55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Through emotional binge eating, I balooned up to 317 pounds. I went on a prepackaged diet, and lost 67 pounds. I have yo yoed from a low of 248 to 267 pounds. I am back on the program to get down to at least 225 pounds. ( 217 would give me that century club mark.) I have found that low carb, after the first week, is the bet way to get rid of the cravings! I've never met a sweet carb I didn't like. I was at 267.4 just after Canadian thanksgiving, and now (ten days later) I am at 254.4 pounds. I know us guys can lose it easier, but I really do recommend atkins, south beach, or paleo in order to get your blood levels back in normal range.