How do I get abs?

2»

Replies

• dwick1017
    dwick1017 Posts: 21 Member
    One more thing most people don't take into account is that females (unfortunately) have higher BF% than males because of the ability to have children they need the extra fat. Very few women have the genetics to show their abs. Sure, competitors have abs showing but they also have many health issues associated. Don't be discouraged just focus on staying healthy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    When many females talk about abs we don't always mean low enough BF for a 6 pack (although there are some rocking lean women out there)

For me personally my desired body aesthetic is strong but soft ..so I like a shadow of abs in my torso which I have around 23-24% BF
  • joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Compound lifts and steadily chip away at that bodyfat %. Thats what i am doing at the moment and its going good :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    dwick1017 wrote: »
    One more thing most people don't take into account is that females (unfortunately) have higher BF% than males because of the ability to have children they need the extra fat. Very few women have the genetics to show their abs. Sure, competitors have abs showing but they also have many health issues associated. Don't be discouraged just focus on staying healthy.

Women will show visible abs at a significantly higher bodyfat percentage than men, though (speaking in general terms). A woman at 20% is pretty lean, while a man at 20% generally still looks soft. Compare the photos here for at least a general idea (taking into consideration that genetics plays a significant role in how those leaner people look).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

My abs show at 21%. That's not unhealthy and I don't have health issues because my weight isn't that low. The secret to that is fueling my body appropriately (not starving myself) and working hard to build muscle. I managed abs after having two kids. Female body fat might be numerically higher, but we are still very capable of getting visible abs.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

My abs show at 21%. That's not unhealthy and I don't have health issues because my weight isn't that low. The secret to that is fueling my body appropriately (not starving myself) and working hard to build muscle. I managed abs after having two kids. Female body fat might be numerically higher, but we are still very capable of getting visible abs.

Same here. I don't think it's accurate to say that women who have visible abs "have many health issues associated". That's not true for me.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Deadlifts
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    and front squats.