Working out when sore

Options
So I started going back to my trainer and worked out Monday. I did some arm exercises he categorized as "push". Today I wanted to do the "pull" but my right shoulder is still sore. Kinda the the corner of my pec to the bottom arch that bridges your chest and arm, and it kinda goes deep into the actual joint. I'm guessing the chest fly's and the chest presses are what caused it.

It doesn't "hurt" but definitely feels "aggravated", which just was made worse by my attempts to massage it. I slipped on ice and fell on it a few years back and it hasn't been quite right since. I always suspected it was a bit weaker due to that and even Monday, my right arm gave way a few reps sooner than left. So I don't know if it's just a "weaker" muscle that needs to be strengthen and that's why it's still sore today.

Although this different set of exercises is supposed to target different muscles, anything with the arms is going to use those muscles some. I would usually think to rest it but I've learned that inconsistent training will lead to soreness every time. I had this pain a couple months ago when I first met with the trainer but I got lazy and didn't do back. There were no shoulder problems after the soreness went away.

So I guess my question is, how do you determine in you need rest or you keep working, especially when dealing with an area that wasn't seeing much action prior?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. It's aggravated. Next time ask if you can work on "legs" for a while instead. Your coach is not living inside your body.

Sometimes I work through the soreness, especially if it is relieved from a little stretching. If warming up the muscle and stretches it provides relief, I keep working it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I discuss it with my trainer. If your trainer is a good one, he/she will have suggestions to ease the pain and will modify your workouts to prevent further injury.
  • dwick1017
    dwick1017 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great responses, your trainer should help you with this pain. But on the off chance he/she doesn't properly help you should determine whether this is soreness in the muscle or joint pain. Muscle soreness will go away after you are warm but pain will persist. My only hint that it could be something worth getting check is your comment about falling on the shoulder. It could be an old injury that never healed properly.
  • CFrancine88
    CFrancine88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm with you. It's aggravated. Next time ask if you can work on "legs" for a while instead. Your coach is not living inside your body.

I did legs yesterday. According to him, I should be able to do the "push" one day and the "pull" the next, which is what I did the first time we met. I was so sore (more than my shoulder), which is why I took three days in between this time.

• CFrancine88
    CFrancine88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    dwick1017 wrote: »
    Muscle soreness will go away after you are warm but pain will persist. My only hint that it could be something worth getting check is your comment about falling on the shoulder. It could be an old injury that never healed properly.

I've had my fair share of DOMS and it never goes away just by warming up.

Also, is there anything that can be done about an old injury besides surgery? My should works fine in general, that might be a bit of overkill.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

I did legs yesterday. According to him, I should be able to do the "push" one day and the "pull" the next, which is what I did the first time we met. I was so sore (more than my shoulder), which is why I took three days in between this time.

Is your trainer having you roll or use a lacrosse ball to target those sore areas? Now, this may sound like a gentle, nice process but have no disillusions...this is basically muscle smashing. By targeting those sore spots (and if you're doing it right you are going to find spots you didn't even know were sore), you can loosen them back up and ease the pain. The lacrosse ball can be used in the same way but target much smaller, hard to reach places. Again, a good trainer will help you with this. Like others have said, the trainer only knows what you tell him. Don't be afraid to sound whiny or weak. Your trainer wants you working out, not so sore that you give up.