Logging Spin Class MFP v. Mapmyrun

Options
I took my first spin class today (in a loooong time, anyway). I a runner so I don't usually bike. I don't wear a heart rate monitor.

On the meter at the front of the bike it says I went 15.8 miles in 53.4 minutes. If I put 'spin class' in MFP it says I burned 410 calories. It seems fairly accurate because I worked my *kitten* off.

If I put the 15.8 miles in 53.4 minutes, map my run gives 750 calories burned.

How do you log your spin class? Something in between? I have logged in the lower amount and will probably leave it at that but I would love to know, why the disparity?

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure of your stats.... I'm 31 year old, 5'6 currently 126 lbs (7 months pregnant). I am an avid runner but couldn't keep it up past 27 weeks pregnant, my SI joints just gave out, so I switched to spinning. My sessions are on average 45 minutes (some 35, some 55) and I push it pretty hard, dripping in sweat at the end. I usually log about 300 calories burned for that. The female instructor wears one of those calorie burned watch things and for the 45 minute session she usually burns 550-600 calories, she's bigger than I am and I think pushes it harder (I don't go all "all out" given the 7 months pregnant thing).
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I wear a Polar HRM for cardio. I run 2 miles (intervals at a quick pace) and then do a spin class. I am happy if Iog 800 calories for both, and I work out hard (in fact the guy behind me today said I must have a reunion or wedding coming up that I'm working so hard for, another student said, no, that's her every day, she's my role model. Really nice compliment).

I'm 5'5", and I weigh 140. I'm happy for an average of 10-12 calories a minute during a 50 minute spin class. I would stick with the 410.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks! lmjohnson110, it sounds like we have very similar stats. 5'5, 140, fit... I usually do a long run, or do a short (2mile) run and do weights or something like TRX. I am on MFP more recently because I would love to take off this 5 pounds. It makes a difference in my runs! (Its hard at 40!)

fernt21- sounds like you are doing the pregnancy right. I worked out through all 4 of mine. I couldn't run either because of lower back pain, so good for you for keeping it up to 27 weeks. I loved the elliptical while preggers.

Thanks for the info :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just to point out that "miles" on a stationary bike is irrelevant - they don't tend to take into account resistance.

Neither one of your estimates can know how enough about your intensity level, cadence and resistance used to make anything more than a very random guess.

I can hit 800 in an hour on a stationary bike but my fitness level is very high (elite for someone in late 30's) and I'm a regular cyclist - 600 per hour would be reasonable estimate IMO for someone reasonably fit and working hard in a class. Would be very dubious about your Map My Run estimate, especially when you aren't working flat out all the time.

How far could you run in 53 minutes with similar effort? That might give you a very rough idea (from a running calorie counter) but to be honest just using the MFP estimate wins on simplicity.