Carbs

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    If you haven't changed your eating pattern and just saw the stall when you started exercising, it's most likely just water weight. Just keep going -- it'll resolve and you'll see movement on the scale again. FWIW, I'm a vegetarian and keep carbs at around 40-45%, and I haven't had any issue losing. Unless you have a medical reason to restrict carbs (like diabetes or PCOS), there's no reason to restrict them if you don't want to. It's certainly not required to lose.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    taracan25 wrote: »
    I am currently eating at 1800 calories and exercising 30 minutes per day 5 days per week doing high intensity interval plyometrics with weight training incorporated. I just started this exercising about 1.5 weeks ago and have seen the scale halt completely but I can tell I'm still making progress because I'm also taking measurements and those are going down. I am a vegetarian and so carbs are fairly essential to get enough protein. I was struggling to lose weight prior to starting the exercises as well and a friend said that I should cut carbs down to 25%. I found that to be impossible.

My mind is boggling trying to picture what a day of 25% carbs would look like for a vegetarian...

@PeachyCarol @shell1005 what are your macros?

Lately, I'm coming in at 45-50% carbs because I'm including more whole grains and starchy veggies (winter vegetable stew rocks, just sayin'), but I've done lower because I my primary protein sources are dairy and eggs. A vegetarian who is relying more on beans/grains would have to get a higher carb count by necessity.

OP, As has been covered earlier in the thread, your problem is likely linked to starting a new exercise program.

I'm currently doing C25K (on the last week), and because the training is progressive, my loss pattern is... are you ready for this... stall with the scale bouncing up and around my new low weight for two weeks, then boom! have a week where I lose the weight I'd lose that week and the two weeks I was stalled -- then back to the stall.

Since I'm planning on starting 5to10K next week, I see no end to this pattern in sight. Just trust the math of CICO. If you're happy with the way you're eating and not feeling hungry, there's no need to play around with your macro balance.

Meanwhile, enjoy your new training program!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I have since changed my macros and put carbs at 40%. It doesn't change the fact that I still get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit with a few other complex carb sources, like beans, in there. I do NOT eat back my exercise calories. I have also not been too terribly worried if I go over the 40% carbs.

I'm thinking that since this exercise routine is so new to me and I have not been doing vigorous exercise previously, it may very well be water that is masking my weight loss.

Since you'll be working with weights, familiarize yourself with the fact that you're likely to see a temporary gain every time you lift. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal and temporary.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    I have since changed my macros and put carbs at 40%. It doesn't change the fact that I still get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit with a few other complex carb sources, like beans, in there. I do NOT eat back my exercise calories. I have also not been too terribly worried if I go over the 40% carbs.

I'm thinking that since this exercise routine is so new to me and I have not been doing vigorous exercise previously, it may very well be water that is masking my weight loss.

Since you'll be working with weights, familiarize yourself with the fact that you're likely to see a temporary gain every time you lift. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal and temporary.

Thanks for that! I previously started doing this program a few weeks before but freaked out when my progress stalled and stopped doing it. Then, I decided that I needed the exercise in my life and I'd just have to trust the process.
  • tara_means_star
    I found that it discrouraged me from eating fruits and veggies due to the high carb content and the need to focus my calories on proteins (which most vegetarian sources also have carbs). I couldn't take that. I'm a fruit and veggie loving girl and since those are some of the most nutritious foods on the planet, I decided that low carb was probably not for me.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    When I started the process, my trainer advised me to cut my carbs under 50g. I completely ignored this suggestion as it was totally and utterly unrealistic for me. I've lost 33 lbs and am now entering maintenance - none of this has involved carb cutting/tracking. If it's weight loss you want, it's the deficit that matters. Don't over-complicate it at this point. Good luck :)
  • tara_means_star
    When I started the process, my trainer advised me to cut my carbs under 50g. I completely ignored this suggestion as it was totally and utterly unrealistic for me. I've lost 33 lbs and am now entering maintenance - none of this has involved carb cutting/tracking. If it's weight loss you want, it's the deficit that matters. Don't over-complicate it at this point. Good luck :)

That's excellent info, thanks!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Best of success with finding a plan that works for you. There is nothing magical about cutting the carbs.

I can share what I finally did over a year ago after 40 years of yo yo dieting ending fatter every time.

13 months ago I cut out all grains/grain related products and most all foods containing sugars. That was a strange animal but after many missteps I got it figured out. While I did lose some weight over the last year the best part was my pain levels took a nose dive after the first 30 days and has not returned. Then the prediabetic conditions when away as well as my long term IBS.

To stay in nutritional ketosis I have to eat <50 grams of carbs daily. If one is eating 300 and drops down to just 150 carbs that can be a huge plus. <150 grams is called low carb when <50 grams of carbs is called Very Low Carb High Fat. My current macro is like 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. You will have to overcome the false teachings that saturated fats are bad for your long term health because the opposite is medically factual based on the research of the past 10 years and prior to 1970.

It makes me excited to see young people to start eating for health before you wreck your bodies like I did living on mainly carbs until I was 63.

Again best of success.

This ^^ is what has worked for my yo yo dieting because other diets made me crave food all the time and now I never crave anything and it feels so good for food not to have a hold on me anymore!!! Also I see the scale move every day or 2 not every week or 2 that also caused my yo yo dieting.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member

^^ new exercise definately can cause stalls or even gains on the scale...just give it time and you'll see those losses you want happening.
    Don't stress about macros too much - the only ones I pay attention to are having enough protein and watching the sugar levels - carbs are not evil, especially the ones derived from veggies. Its all about consuming less calories than we burn.
    Sounds like you are being sensible :smile:
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    agree with everything posted above. I find just watching my calorie and protein goals, and letting the fats and carbs take care of themselves works for me.
  • tara_means_star
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    agree with everything posted above. I find just watching my calorie and protein goals, and letting the fats and carbs take care of themselves works for me.

Awesome. My friend insisted that unless she restricts carbs, she can't lose weight. I was struggling to lose, although I think that had to do with the exercise and the fact that I'd been getting a little lazy with my portions. I'm much more strict about my food now and still having trouble with the scale but I think that's the exercise. So for now, I'm measuring progress with the measuring tape and trying to stay off of the scale.
  • tara_means_star
    It makes sense. They only thing is my friend also tracks her calorie intake...she's not just eliminating the food group, she counts calories too. I still think what she's saying is off but for whatever reason it works for her. She's also an omnivore and it takes less planning for her. For me, I don't want to spend my whole day trying variations of food that will let me fit my macros perfectly with such a low carb ratio. I don't want to have to obsess over food that much. So, for me, if drastically cutting carbs isn't necessary, I don't want to do it. It doesn't sound like it's necessary.

I measure my food. I know I need to be weighing it too and I have a digital scale, I just haven't done it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Unless you have a doctor and some medical reason cutting carbs is not a good idea. Your body needs carbs for fuel. I do measure my macros to get enough protein to maintain muscle while losing.. but really you need to run a calorie deficit to lose weight.. that is all. I run about 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fats.
  • tara_means_star
    I feel like the more I obsess over food the hungrier I feel. It is so much better to me to have a set amount of calories and fill it with the most wholesome foods I can find regardless of the macros. I could EASILY go over my daily carb count on veggies alone. I just can't tolerate the idea that I shouldn't eat all these veggies because they have carbs. I eat mostly whole foods--lots of veggies, moderate fruit, nuts, root vegetables, quinoa, organic soy products, etc...and I'm coming to the conclusion that these foods are healthy for me and if I'm eating at a deficit I shouldn't have to worry if another cup of broccoli will put me over my carb count for the day.
  • tara_means_star
    Agreed. I don't want to do a diet where I have to obsess over everything I'm eating...I want something that I can maintain in the long term. In the long term, I'm not going to be obsessing over carbs so I might as well learn how to eat a balanced, varied diet now so that when it comes time to maintain I'm set up for success.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I feel like the more I obsess over food the hungrier I feel. It is so much better to me to have a set amount of calories and fill it with the most wholesome foods I can find regardless of the macros. I could EASILY go over my daily carb count on veggies alone. I just can't tolerate the idea that I shouldn't eat all these veggies because they have carbs. I eat mostly whole foods--lots of veggies, moderate fruit, nuts, root vegetables, quinoa, organic soy products, etc...and I'm coming to the conclusion that these foods are healthy for me and if I'm eating at a deficit I shouldn't have to worry if another cup of broccoli will put me over my carb count for the day.

Go ahead and eat those veggies, they are good for you.

And use your food scale. Honestly, it's easier, faster and less mess than measuring!

Good luck, you've got lots of good advice in here.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It looks like you've gotten a lot of good input already, but I am a vegan who lost weight eating about 60% carbohydrates (a lot of which were from vegetables and grains). I didn't find I had to restrict carbs at all to lose weight as long as my calorie deficit was in place.
  • pennysuede
    pennysuede Posts: 11 Member
    So I have tried it all like most of you. I have lost with everything I have tried, but the thing that seems to be working best for me is low carb diet. I have lost half the weight I wanted doing that. BUT, on the weekends I will have normal meals in the right proportion, and even allow myself maybe ONE treat, as well in the right proportion. I do gain a pound or even two after the weekend, but it falls off in the beginning of the week after I go on a very low carb diet and then I even lose a couple pounds more. So far so good. :) Good luck to all of you!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Unless you have a doctor and some medical reason cutting carbs is not a good idea. Your body needs carbs for fuel. I do measure my macros to get enough protein to maintain muscle while losing.. but really you need to run a calorie deficit to lose weight.. that is all. I run about 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fats.

@CasperNaegle carbs can be OK but they are not a requirement for good health, muscle and energy for humans. If one has never just burned mainly protein and fats there will be an adaption period of weeks for anyone but longer for jocks. I did not know carbs were totally optional for humans until last year.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Best of success with finding a plan that works for you. There is nothing magical about cutting the carbs.

I can share what I finally did over a year ago after 40 years of yo yo dieting ending fatter every time.

13 months ago I cut out all grains/grain related products and most all foods containing sugars. That was a strange animal but after many missteps I got it figured out. While I did lose some weight over the last year the best part was my pain levels took a nose dive after the first 30 days and has not returned. Then the prediabetic conditions when away as well as my long term IBS.

To stay in nutritional ketosis I have to eat <50 grams of carbs daily. If one is eating 300 and drops down to just 150 carbs that can be a huge plus. <150 grams is called low carb when <50 grams of carbs is called Very Low Carb High Fat. My current macro is like 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. You will have to overcome the false teachings that saturated fats are bad for your long term health because the opposite is medically factual based on the research of the past 10 years and prior to 1970.

It makes me excited to see young people to start eating for health before you wreck your bodies like I did living on mainly carbs until I was 63.

Again best of success.

@rabbitjb yes you remember well.