Fall Appetite

Options
Has any one else had an appetite increase since the light levels/ temperature have dropped>?

I just want to eat all day ... and im craving carbs and sugar !

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    no...i do crave warm and comforting foods...but no increase in appetite. i eat all kinds of carbs, so i don't really worry about craving carbs.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I do, but that's because I have seasonal affective disorder and my brain goes totally haywire. I sleep poorly and feel out of sorts and all I wanna do is sit and eat chocolate and cookies.

I'm getting a better handle on it each year, which is a plus. Funnily enough, decreasing my starchy carbs and keeping my fat and protein intake higher helps make the cravings back off.

Make sure you're getting plenty of rest. Allow yourself treats. Eat filling, low cal snacks if you're feeling munchy.

~Lyssa
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I do, but that's because I have seasonal affective disorder and my brain goes totally haywire. I sleep poorly and feel out of sorts and all I wanna do is sit and eat chocolate and cookies.

I'm getting a better handle on it each year, which is a plus. Funnily enough, decreasing my starchy carbs and keeping my fat and protein intake higher helps make the cravings back off.

Make sure you're getting plenty of rest. Allow yourself treats. Eat filling, low cal snacks if you're feeling munchy.

~Lyssa

Not wanting to derail the thread, but have you tried using a light box/lamp for your seasonal issues? My grandpa used to swear by his. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/in-depth/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298?pg=1

Yes! I have one stronger one for home use and a smaller/less intense one for at work. The stronger one may need replacing in a year or two....

The best thing I've done so far is invest in Phillips Hue lights that I have set up to simulate sunrise. Between that and using one of my lamps, I've got a pretty good handle on things. It's not perfect, but I have significantly more good days than bad now :)

~Lyssa
  • jimskelton
    jimskelton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I modify my intake to 40-40-20 during the winter, increasing fat intake to help kill my appetite. Then, high intensity exercise helps kill it for me as well, probably because it helps my mood and I don't need as much food to make me feel better...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    During winter we do crave more food, but its mostly just a notion to us, perhaps out of boredom etc. I would suggest trying to make better food choices and eat satisfying foods for your main meals so you know its not hunger.

I fight the urge to snack alot in the evenings, it was a habit but I have broken it over time. I do save calories for a night time snack but thats all I allow myself. Last winter it was very easy to slip into old habits of having a choccie biscuit with each cup of coffee and before I realised it 500 extra cals would slip into my day. (and a gain of 5lbs over a few months taking me to the higher end of my maintenance range) That mindless snacking had to stop. Yeah I'll still have one biscuit/snack sized chocolate bar, but that's my lot. It does get easier saying no. :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    heck ya!! Its comfort foods time,, casseroles, soups, stews,,, soon it will be minus 20!