Where should I start

I hope I am not cunfusing you, I been eating between 1250 to 1350 calories or more different days and still lost a little weight. I want to start mataining my weight, would it be ok to up my calories to 15000

Replies

• BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Mfp should have helped you set a goal to maintain your weight. Everyone's is different so you'll have to play a bit with the calories before you figure out the right target for you. Definitely wouldn't go with the number you entered, you haven't too many zeros at the end
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Probably not 15000.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    Mfp should have helped you set a goal to maintain your weight. Everyone's is different so you'll have to play a bit with the calories before you figure out the right target for you. Definitely wouldn't go with the number you entered, you haven't too many zeros at the end
    Sorry about that 1500
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Probably not 15000.

Sorry 1500
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    MFP will give you your maintenance calories when you change settings to maintain current weight.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    MFP will give you your maintenance calories when you change settings to maintain current weight.

Yes i trying to figure if it ve ok to start at 1500 bc they say to up your calories by 100 every week. See if 1500 is good to start at or 1400
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Try 1400 and give that a week, then up them again to 1500...
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Good Lord not 15,000. I think you meant 1500 Cal. try it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    and I know a lot of us say to up the calories bit by bit but that's only to stop that temporary weight gain we get when the glycogen stores are being replenished as we are eating extra calories. If you up your calories to maintenance in one go there's nothing wrong with that either but you will see a temporary gain on the scales. This however will settle in a few weeks.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    and I know a lot of us say to up the calories bit by bit but that's only to stop that temporary weight gain we get when the glycogen stores are being replenished as we are eating extra calories. If you up your calories to maintenance in one go there's nothing wrong with that either but you will see a temporary gain on the scales. This however will settle in a few weeks.
    Ok thanks
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    Sorry about that 1500

I was teasing about the typo . I can't imagine what that amount of food would look like...

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    How tall are you? 1500 seems very low for maintenance for a male.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    How long have you been logging

Add up your gross calories eaten each day
    Add up your weight lost in total ...times this by 3500
    Add the two together
    Divide by the number of days you've been logging

You now have the TDEE you should be working up to eating at maintenance

Add a couple of hundred calories to what you're currently eating ...eat that for a couple of weeks, weight will go up then back down again

Repeat and repeat until you hit maintenance which should technically be around the TDEE you calculated but might be more
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

This.
    1500 seems very low for a 23 male to cut on let alone start journey to maintenance - also get strong impression from the various posts from the OP that he doesn't eat back exercise calories.

@chrisfuentes2005 - when you plug "maintain current weight" into your goal what calorie level does MFP suggest for you?
    (Remember that goal assumes you add exercise calories as well.)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Probably not 15000.

lol :o

Seriously, it depends on your activity level and other factors. At maintenance and very active (I'm 5'3") I maintain on 2100+. Currently trying to add a few pounds and injured so lowered activity to active + gain 1/2 lb/week, MFP indicates about 1900+.

• chrisfuentes2005

5'6
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

5'6

You're not eating enough. What does MFP say you should maintain at?
  • chrisfuentes2005

5'6

Yes i am upping my calories every week thats what they say when i ask people
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    I feel like MFP gives low numbers for the calorie count. Try 1500 and see how you do, but I would think you'd actually need more than that. I'm a smallish woman and I'm still losing at 1600.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited November 2015

5'6

Yes i am upping my calories every week thats what they say when i ask people

Got a feeling you are avoiding answering the question Chris.....
    If you did answer the "what does MFP suggest as your maintenance calories?" question you may well understand how far under you are eating and decide to increase quicker.