Emotional non-eaters?

Options
I know there are many emotional eaters out there that tend to binge when stressed or emotional and I imagine that must be difficult to get under control

I find I have the opposite problem, stress or emotional times completely destroy my appetite and I find myself skipping a lot of meals because I am not hungry and forget to eat. I have to force myself. Like this weekend I am dealing with a very ill pet right now and it would be 5pm before I realized that I had not eaten yet

Anyone else have that problem? what do you do to remind yourself to eat during tough times?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I don't really consider it a problem. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.
  • OminaCaelestis
    Options
    I feel the same to be honest. When I need to get something done I often choose not to eat because my appetite doesn't call for it. Part of being stubborn I think. I guess if I really wanted to, I could start thinking about food instead and get my stomach rumbling.
    I get quite cranky without food also, so it's an unhealthy mix to occupy yourself too long while starving your brain...
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    HI. I am one of the emotional eaters and although we may not be able to relate on that level - I have set reminders on MFP to message me to record my lunch and dinner. perhaps reminders such as these could be used to help you to remember to eat.
    just a suggestion. if you don't know how to set these up (if you choose to do so) then message me. I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say on this topic. good luck and best wishes to your kitty
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I dealt with this today. I just didn't feel like eating. I'm eating an ice cream bar now to bring me up to nearly 1200 calories. I'm not going to worry about it unless it happens again tomorrow.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have this issue, and the meds I was given suppress my appetite, awesome.

I take breakfast and lunch with me to work and pull breakfast out right away to eat, it's become habit, I use coworkers as a reminder to eat lunch, dinner is hit or miss and weekends I usually get a big meal (usually brunch) and a snack a day, often when I feed my dog I remember to eat.

I used to set alarms on my phone to remind me to eat and I had a great friend who would text me when she ate to remind me to eat.

And on that note, thanks for the reminder to eat (a late) dinner.
  • emmarosemc
    Options
    I have this same issue, if Im busy or stressed out or upset I just forget to eat. I lost 11lbs. Im on MFP to gain weight and its not going well
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am like this, when I get stressed/overly emotional I often forget to eat. That's when I start thinking to myself, ummm it's almost dinner time and what did I eat today??? Most of it is because when I get stressed I start to get a sick feeling in my stomach and I know better than to put anything down there in those times.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat a thing when I'm stressed, worried, or upset. But I know that as the day goes on, I tend to ruminate on the problem and make myself more stressed. So, in order to make sure I'm getting at least some nutrients, I eat a big meal in the morning because I know that the likelihood of my eating anything else in the day is very low. That has helped me a lot.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    that's me and so many people tell me they don't understand. It makes me feel like an oddball, but if I'm not hungry, I'm not hungry. Unfortunately, when I'm sad or depressed or stressed, I lose my appetite. Even worse, it can last for days...
  • Butterfly_emerging
    Options
    I have a tendancy to do that too when stressed out or upset and it sets me up for a nasty binge later. Sometimes I'm busy and forget too until like 5pm... not good. I've actually not had that prob since getting the MFP app for my phone because it reminds me I havent logged my meal which also reminds me to eat it. lol I hope your kitty is ok!

Add me if you want! Good luck! :-)

<3 Katy
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I know there are many emotional eaters out there that tend to binge when stressed or emotional and I imagine that must be difficult to get under control

I find I have the opposite problem, stress or emotional times completely destroy my appetite and I find myself skipping a lot of meals because I am not hungry and forget to eat. I have to force myself. Like this weekend I am dealing with a very ill pet right now and it would be 5pm before I realized that I had not eaten yet

Anyone else have that problem? what do you do to remind yourself to eat during tough times?

This happens to me, and it can be a very significant problem. I've had a lot of very stressful events which can cause this to be a problem lasting for weeks, or in one instance, months.

I've had to find a fair number of foods which I can tolerate eating when I'm not hungry at all. If I tried eating just anything, it wouldn't stay down. My best go-to is fruity yogurt.
  • rml_16
    Options
    that's me and so many people tell me they don't understand. It makes me feel like an oddball, but if I'm not hungry, I'm not hungry. Unfortunately, when I'm sad or depressed or stressed, I lose my appetite. Even worse, it can last for days...
    I went through a terrible breakup years ago and for two weeks straight even the thought of food turned my stomach. I lived on apple cider and lost 20 pounds!
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not that this is helpful but I have a husband and children to look after now so that helps remind me to eat. They always seem to be hungry.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    HI. I am one of the emotional eaters and although we may not be able to relate on that level - I have set reminders on MFP to message me to record my lunch and dinner. perhaps reminders such as these could be used to help you to remember to eat.
    just a suggestion. if you don't know how to set these up (if you choose to do so) then message me. I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say on this topic. good luck and best wishes to your kitty

thanks BigIsleGal, I had no idea that was even an option :)
  • bio01979
    Options
    I'm the same. I don't really consider it a problem. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.

I get what you are saying :) I guess I am just trying to have better eating habits and eating regularly is one of the habits I would like to cultivate :) because I find that if I only eat one meal a day it tends to end up a bigger meal. it stays within calories but it skews my regular portion sizes - do it too often and well I end up eating a larger portion too often
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Me too. My first bad breakup I lost like 25 pounds. I don't eat when stressed or upset, and if I do manage to get food down I will throw it up.
  • rml_16
    Options

I get what you are saying :) I guess I am just trying to have better eating habits and eating regularly is one of the habits I would like to cultivate :) because I find that if I only eat one meal a day it tends to end up a bigger meal. it stays within calories but it skews my regular portion sizes - do it too often and well I end up eating a larger portion too often
    I guess we all manage in our own ways. Good luck!
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I have BOTH problems. If I'm stressed out, I don't eat. If I'm emotional, then I overeat. Right now I happen to be stressed out and not feeling like eating. I have forced a lot of the meals down for today and only a little over 1,000 calories for today...WTF. At this point, I guess I'm okay with it because at least I did get something down.
  • bio01979
    Options

lol it seems you are not an oddball :) yes, it can last days - it sucks sometimes
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I've been both an emotional eater and an emotional non-eater.

Something simple like granola bars or yogurt (with or without granola or fruit) usually help when I'm not hungry.