I want to start weight/strength training, Help?

Options
LowCoffinLucifie
LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok first for some info. My SW 230 CW 260 GW 150. I have been doing C25K for a week now and I feel I'm ready to start strength/ weight training. Also my big change is because I want to get fit enough to join The military.

Ok so my apartment gym has a lot of dumbell sets, treadmills, ellipticals, bicycle machine, medicine balls, a chest press machine, a lateral pull down and row machine, a bench [no barbell though], exercise ball, mats, and a leg extension/curl machine.

Id like to start a routine with these said items along with my own body if possible. Can anyone help my with a workout plan. I am very new to strength/weight training and I don't want to offset any muscles for others. In otherwords I don't wanna do too much of something but not enough of another.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you ;)

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to hire a trainer if you can afford it. They will work with you to find workouts that challenge you, build muscle without injury and don't get boring.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    My suggestion is to hire a trainer if you can afford it. They will work with you to find workouts that challenge you, build muscle without injury and don't get boring.

Id love too, but yah it's not something I can afford right now. Even Working out I'm using anything free( hence the apartment gym(free))

I'm also really just looking for a starting point.

But ty ;).
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I would do as much cardio as possible for 6-12 months, work on my nutrition again Nutrition/calories is what will work best for you.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    I would do as much cardio as possible for 6-12 months, work on my nutrition again Nutrition/calories is what will work best for you.

I'm doing that already with C25K, but I was told incorporating weight traing training would heighten my success? Am I incorrect in this thought?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out Fitnessblender, narrow your workout search to include the equipment you have available to you and go from there?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So, your best options are bodyweight program and dumbell programs.
    You will get the fastest results by doing a full body progressive overload program for beginners.
    Most will explain what to do, how often, when, how, etc.

Bodyweight programs:
    You are your own gym
    Convict conditioning
    Nerdfitness beginner bodyweight routine

Dumbell programs:
    Strong curves (starts with dumbells, progresses to barbells but you can probably adjust.)
    There are more recommendations, but can't remember names right now. Search this forum for dumbell workout or check out bodybuilding.com
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would suggest doing a combo dumbbell and body weight program. Something full body is going to be a good way to start. You can do a full body program 3x a week (e.g., Mon/Wed/Fri.)

Here is one full body program: http://www.howtobeast.com/gain-mass-with-dumbbell-bulking-routine/

Ignore the fact that it says bulking. It's perfectly fine to do while losing weight.

You're probably going to have to alter it slightly for your equipment and ability. I'd do something like this:

Workout A
    Goblet Squat (if you've never done squats before, start with bodyweight squats and then work toward goblets)
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell Row
    Plank
    Optional (do them if you want but skip if you run out of time): skull crushers/side raises

Workout B
    Lunge (Normal bodyweight lunges, not reverse lunges. Then after time you can start holding dumbbells in your hands down to your sides, at a certain point you might want to try walking lunges. Keep in mind that if you haven't done these before they are hard. You might need to hold onto something to keep your balance at first.)
    Shoulder Press (seated or standing, your preference)
    Lat pulldown
    Plank
    Optional: curls and rear delt raises

Alternate workouts. First week would be ABA, second week BAB.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would suggest doing a combo dumbbell and body weight program. Something full body is going to be a good way to start. You can do a full body program 3x a week (e.g., Mon/Wed/Fri.)

Here is one full body program: http://www.howtobeast.com/gain-mass-with-dumbbell-bulking-routine/

Ignore the fact that it says bulking. It's perfectly fine to do while losing weight.

You're probably going to have to alter it slightly for your equipment and ability. I'd do something like this:

Workout A
    Goblet Squat (if you've never done squats before, start with bodyweight squats and then work toward goblets)
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell Row
    Plank
    Optional (do them if you want but skip if you run out of time): skull crushers/side raises

Workout B
    Lunge (Normal bodyweight lunges, not reverse lunges. Then after time you can start holding dumbbells in your hands down to your sides, at a certain point you might want to try walking lunges. Keep in mind that if you haven't done these before they are hard. You might need to hold onto something to keep your balance at first.)
    Lat pulldown
    Plank

This is about exactly what I was looking for thank you so much ;)
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    So, your best options are bodyweight program and dumbell programs.
    You will get the fastest results by doing a full body progressive overload program for beginners.
    Most will explain what to do, how often, when, how, etc.

Bodyweight programs:
    You are your own gym
    Convict conditioning
    Nerdfitness beginner bodyweight routine

Dumbell programs:
    Strong curves (starts with dumbells, progresses to barbells but you can probably adjust.)
    There are more recommendations, but can't remember names right now. Search this forum for dumbell workout or check out bodybuilding.com

This as well thank you I will look in to all of them ty for the references :)
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    Maybe check out Fitnessblender, narrow your workout search to include the equipment you have available to you and go from there?

I will take a look at it ty :).
  • denelifet
    denelifet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my bestie is a personal trainer that would be perfect for you!.....if you are interested just message me and i'll give you her info. She is a personal trainer and also does group training. She works in person, online via Skype, facebook or texting for accountability. She is great for newbies and also works with bodybuilders getting ready to compete.

I can give you her facebook info and she can explain her 30 day challenge for 35.00 that includes workouts you can do at home. Her next challenge begins Nov 1.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Workout A
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell Row
    Plank

Workout B
    Lat pulldown
    Plank

This is about exactly what I was looking for thank you so much ;)

I forgot, I'd add leg curls too since you have a machine available. You can put them in with the optional stuff. If there aren't people using the equipment you could just superset them (Do a set of curls, a set of delt raises, a set of curls. Lather/rinse/repeat one or two more times.)