Food manufacturers spend massive amounts of resources on making their foods as “rewarding

Options
2»

Replies

• Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Luckily, I am an intelligent and self-aware adult, so I can choose to eat manufactured foods mindfully and in moderation.

We are all have the ability to choose to eat mindfully and in moderation. The chemicals in the processed foods makes it so darn tough. I gave up artificial sugars for the most part, but I do notice that when I "cheat"and have anything with aspartame or sucarlose that I am absolutely ravenous a couple hours later. The same can be said with msg. I made my house msg free a couple months ago and cut out 90% of fast food. Intermittent fasting is going well and all is smooth sailing when I eat homemade from scratch. The 10% of the time that we overindulge in msg and highly processed foods, I get such an overwhelming since of hunger the next day that it actually makes me dizzy and gives me headaches. Yes, moderation is a choice, but the food industry and its chemicals make that choice so much more difficult than it should be.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's a well known trick of the trade to deliberately pump out enticing scents from a store to lure customers on an unconscious level.
    Yes, it's called an industrial grade fume hood.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's polite to include a link to the source when you rip someone off. Original appears to be: http://authoritynutrition.com/9-ways-that-processed-foods-are-killing-people/

Authority Nutrition

I might have known

Woo-woo-d.derp.com
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It's a well known trick of the trade to deliberately pump out enticing scents from a store to lure customers on an unconscious level.
    Yes, it's called an industrial grade fume hood.

I think it is through specifically and strategically placed air vents in their stores rather just the cooking hoods.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My grandma made her meatballs like that too.

The real scandal with the food industry is not what you're saying here at all. The food they make doesn't "short circuit" anything, or mess with satiety hormones. The shady thing they have done is, relying on research on flavor density, they've made foods highly palatable, but... not quite flavorful enough with just a single serving. You need more of those Cheese Doodles because that first 120 calories of them isn't quite giving you the flavor impact you're seeking.

One of the tips dieters gets is to season and spice up their food, because this whole thing about flavor satiety is actually important to satisfaction with smaller amounts of food. If a food is taste-dense, packed with flavor, you're satisfied with less of it.

If you combine a highly palatable food with a flavor density that's just shy of "there", it's more-ish. You eat more, you run out of it sooner, and you buy more.

That's not engineering food to do something to your body, that's using science to sell more product. Tricksy of them, but hey, that is, as was said upthread, where personal responsibility/accountability comes in.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm not saying there isn't some devious sensory mojo going on with the smell of McDonald's french fries (I can smell a McDonald's from, like, 2 miles away...).

I think Subway does so with the smell of fresh bread. Your nose knows their is a Subway store nearby usually before your eyes or stomach does!

I t smells like underarms.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go into business making bad-tasting food. Then go bankrupt.

My mother in law is looking for a business partner. ..
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm not saying there isn't some devious sensory mojo going on with the smell of McDonald's french fries (I can smell a McDonald's from, like, 2 miles away...).

I think Subway does so with the smell of fresh bread. Your nose knows their is a Subway store nearby usually before your eyes or stomach does!

I t smells like underarms.

Some people like the smell of armpits!

Lots of companies employ this underarm strategy with good results it seems:

WSJ article
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I am an intelligent and self-aware adult, so I can choose to eat manufactured foods mindfully and in moderation.

We are all have the ability to choose to eat mindfully and in moderation. The chemicals in the processed foods makes it so darn tough. I gave up artificial sugars for the most part, but I do notice that when I "cheat"and have anything with aspartame or sucarlose that I am absolutely ravenous a couple hours later. The same can be said with msg. I made my house msg free a couple months ago and cut out 90% of fast food. Intermittent fasting is going well and all is smooth sailing when I eat homemade from scratch. The 10% of the time that we overindulge in msg and highly processed foods, I get such an overwhelming since of hunger the next day that it actually makes me dizzy and gives me headaches. Yes, moderation is a choice, but the food industry and its chemicals make that choice so much more difficult than it should be.

Well said
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I see this sort of thing often on these boards and I'm just not sure I buy it. I think these foods taste good because they've become so familiar. They are easier than cooking from scratch and parents are raising children on them. Processed foods have become comfort foods.

But when you routinely eat meals made from scratch, these processed meals do not taste great in comparison. Real food tastes better.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Well said

Why was that well said? It seems to be a personal experience post to me and one that is specific to this poster

It's not one I relate to at all...I don't have these reactions to sweeteners or msg at all
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Well said

Why was that well said? It seems to be a personal experience post to me and one that is specific to this poster

It's not one I relate to at all...I don't have these reactions to sweeteners or msg at all

Well, personal in that the OP personally plagiarized copied it from a blog and pasted it here.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Well said

Well, personal in that the OP personally plagiarized copied it from a blog and pasted it here.

Not the OP. She was referring to a comment about personal reactions to msg and aspartame

I've already discounted the OP as it's plagiarised from authoritynutritionderp
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Well said

Not the OP. She was referring to a comment about personal reactions to msg and aspartame

Well then maybe I should just pay attention!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Well said

Well then maybe I should just pay attention!

Or try reading

It's a skill :bigsmile:
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Well all I know, is that my lunch of Fruit Loops today was dang delicious.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I try to make the food that I cook at home taste as good as I possibly can, so that my family eats more of it. Does that make me an evil food manufacturer preying on their delicate, fragile self control mechanisms in their brains?

I used to scour the ingredient lists of my children's favourite processed foods (Kraft Dinner, Wonder Bread) to wingle out their secrets. By way of this espionage, I now add dry mustard to my cheese sauce, and xanthan gum to my home-made bread.

I do this too... Not scour the boxes, but add dry mustard to cheese sauce. Whether for pasta, potatoes or veg, it just adds a certain something.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I try to make the food that I cook at home taste as good as I possibly can, so that my family eats more of it. Does that make me an evil food manufacturer preying on their delicate, fragile self control mechanisms in their brains?

I used to scour the ingredient lists of my children's favourite processed foods (Kraft Dinner, Wonder Bread) to wingle out their secrets. By way of this espionage, I now add dry mustard to my cheese sauce, and xanthan gum to my home-made bread.

I do this too... Not scour the boxes, but add dry mustard to cheese sauce. Whether for pasta, potatoes or veg, it just adds a certain something.

What you ALL need is some of my homemade ground mustard instead of the powder (depending on the recipe).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Different strokes I guess. I find it way easier to overeat my mom's roast chicken and mashed potatoes than anything "highly processed". A moderately sized fast food meal keeps me full just as long as any other meal. And I'm not a big fan of the taste of artificial sweeteners, so they definitely don't make me subconsciously overeat.