Oatmeal makes me bloated/sick?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Ok I got to ask because it's getting a bit ridiculous... Does it happen to anyone else? It seems that every time I have oatmeal in the morning now, I feel bloated, heck sometimes nauseous, and if I exercise afterwards I swear I feel I'm going to throw up. I suppose it keeps me full for a while because of that but it's definitely not a pleasant 'full' feeling, if that makes sense...

It doesn't really seem to matter what I put in it (this morning was protein powder and pumpkin)... I'm about to just write off oatmeal off my breakfast list forever, which is kinda a shame for my cholesterol and because it was a decent/filling breakfast for 250 calories, but man, this just sucks. Other high fiber foods don't seem to do that to me.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never had this happen. Before tossing it entirely, I might try making a smaller portion. Of course if your portion is already small that might not be a help.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Could it just be too heavy for you in the morning? I feel pretty gross and weighed down if I eat too early, or too much. You should give it a shot at other meals if you want to test that theory. I like oatmeal a lot for its ability to keep me full for hours! But I haven't experienced what you have personally. Maybe a full portion is too much for your tummy! It is quite heavy especially if made with milk.
  • Francl27
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    Could it just be too heavy for you in the morning? I feel pretty gross and weighed down if I eat too early, or too much. You should give it a shot at other meals if you want to test that theory. I like oatmeal a lot for its ability to keep me full for hours! But I haven't experienced what you have personally. Maybe a full portion is too much for your tummy! It is quite heavy especially if made with milk.

I make it with water. It's just odd because I can eat 800 calories of stuff easily in the morning and I don't have that problem with anything else.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Why would you keep eating something that makes you feel sick? Tossing it seems like a good idea to me if this is your pattern.

Maybe a different brand? I like oatmeal, but I would have no qualms dropping it if I was reacting to it either.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try small portion ... Different type of food
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    protein powder sometimes makes me bloated.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest either doctoring the oatmeal so it isn't such a giant soluble fiber hit, or switching to another food good for cholesterol. Like a few walnuts at breakfast.

You might try a refrigerator oatmeal that is mostly yogurt. Like a cup of yogurt to 1/4 cup oatmeal; let soak overnight.

How about an oatmeal scone?

I think the big hit of soluble fiber is backing up in your upper intestine, giving you an overfull, sick feeling.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about what type of oatmeal you are eating? Is it steel cut, old fashioned rolled, instant? Each one is a little different. I find that steel cut oats are best cooked ahead of time (I then put them in muffin tins, freeze them and then pop them out into a large ziploc. I use 2 for overnight oats), because when I made my overnight oats with uncooked steel cut oats they were too chewy and heavy. Rolled oats are less dense, and instant oats are pretty light. It may be the protein powder though as other mentioned? Is that a new addition? If you like the taste of oatmeal but cannot tolerate it as is, try cooking with it making muffins or breakfast cookies (I even put it in meatloaf to bind it together!) which may break it down better.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    brb2008 wrote: »

I make it with water. It's just odd because I can eat 800 calories of stuff easily in the morning and I don't have that problem with anything else.

What about the protein powder? It makes me feel bloated and yucky. I ask because when you say "now", it sounds like oatmeal didn't always bother you.

It happens when I don't put protein powder in it too :(

I tried two different brands, same thing. I don't have it often... but sometimes I need a filling low calorie breakfast. I guess I'll have to find something else...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You might try a refrigerator oatmeal that is mostly yogurt. Like a cup of yogurt to 1/4 cup oatmeal; let soak overnight.

This is how I eat it. If I eat oatmeal any other way it sits in my gut like a rock.
  • Francl27
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

This is how I eat it. If I eat oatmeal any other way it sits in my gut like a rock.

Yeah it doesn't fill me up at all when I have it this way, and I actually don't really like it, lol.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Is it more fiber than you get otherwise? It can take some time to get used to increased fiber.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Is it more fiber than you get otherwise? It can take some time to get used to increased fiber.

Not really. I could have Weetabix instead and it doesn't do the same thing at all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you don't really like it, you can get the benefit you desire other ways. Like smoked kippers and scrambled eggs.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I get this if I eat old-fashioned style. I use quick oats instead. No macro difference.
  • aroccaro94
    aroccaro94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating it too often, or are having too large of a portion. These cases have made me feel sick after eating oatmeal. Also, I find that I feel less nauseous after any meal if I eat at a slower pace. If you're running late and need to eat breakfast quickly, eat something else.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Compared to a lot of other grains, oatmeal is cooked relatively quickly. Most people usually buy rolled oats, which cook in 10-15 minutes, or instant, which cook in 2-5 minutes. The grains don't really get much of a chance to get broken down by heat and enzymes in the cooking liquid like, say, rice does, which often cooks for over 30 minutes. It could be possible that your stomach is having a hard time digesting a grain that is essentially raw, although hydrated, since whole grains are pretty rough on the digestive system overall.

If you really want to eat oatmeal, my suggestion would be to soak it overnight like you would nuts. Portion out the oatmeal you want to eat for breakfast the night before, add the appropriate amount of whatever liquid you were going to cook it in (water, milk, whatever. Just make sure it's warm), and add a couple of tablespoons of milk or kefir to it. Let it sit out on the counter overnight. The cultures in the yogurt/kefir will help break down the oats and make it easier to digest. It will smell a little weird, but it's perfectly safe to eat. In the morning, you can warm it on the stove or eat it room temperature.