Too many carbs

Options
Hey MFP!

Looking at my daily intake I have a minimum of 50% carbs. I have only been eating fresh NonProcessed veggies & fruit. I eliminated whole oats & curved raw natural p&b. Isn't that too much in carbs?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    no...

and why eliminate whole oats?

carbs aren't some inherently evil thing, they are just one of three macro-nutrients. human beings have eaten high carbohydrate diets for most of our existence.

as a matter of good nutrition, the source of carbohydrates is important (which is why I don't understand eliminating oats...they're pretty good for you)...but in and of themselves, carbohydrates aren't this devil thing that so many people seem to think they are.

not sure what p&b is...peanut butter? peanut butter is mostly dietary fat, not really a carb source.

also remember that dietary fat and protein are essential...there's more to proper nutrition than just fruit and veg.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    It's only too much if you don't meet your protein and fat minimums.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your question, you can adjust your macros in your diary to fit your own goals, if you mean that the diary says you should have more than you want.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you have medical issues re: carbs?

If not, then no it's not too many. Focus more on protein and fats....carbs are what's left over.
  • glisteninglight18
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    no...

carbs aren't some inherently evil thing, they are just one of three macro-nutrients. human beings have eaten high carbohydrate diets for most of our existence.

as a matter of good nutrition, the source of carbohydrates is important (which is why I don't understand eliminating oats...they're pretty good for you)...but in and of themselves, carbohydrates aren't this devil thing that so many people seem to think they are.

not sure what p&b is...peanut butter? peanut butter is mostly dietary fat, not really a carb source.

also remember that dietary fat and protein are essential...there's more to proper nutrition than just fruit and veg.

Carbs are good , as I recall... I'm a women who is building her *kitten* and minimizing the belly fat. If you eat the right ones ,, it's okay. There's Starches that could mess you up, like Rice.. I mean it's good for you but too much can put you in a heavy side .
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so I have no idea what your calorie, fat, or protein intake are. As I mentioned you need to get your fat and protein minimums. It looks like you want to lose 100+ pounds, based on that, you could very easily meet your minimums and have 50+% carb intake.
    Me for example, I have my protein and fat goals set as minimum (based on grams: body weight x 0.04 fat grams, body weight x 0.9 protein grams (which is conservatively high) , that leaves 60% carbs. I don't try to eat 60% carbs, I eat at least my protein and fat goals.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    no...

Carbs are good , as I recall... I'm a women who is building her *kitten* and minimizing the belly fat. If you eat the right ones ,, it's okay. There's Starches that could mess you up, like Rice.. I mean it's good for you but too much can put you in a heavy side .

It's not the rice that will cause you to gain weight, it's eating more calories than you need.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. For some, that will be fine. For others, it will be too much. Play around with the macros until you find a balance that works optimally for you.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    no...

For real? Rice is a staple of so many peoples diets and many of those people are not overweight. As pointed out already, barring some medical issue, it's calories in<calories out that matter... that's it for weight loss.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. For some, that will be fine. For others, it will be too much. Play around with the macros until you find a balance that works optimally for you.

This. Personally, I have my carbs set at 40%, but that is partly because I was previously considered insulin resistant, so I try to be careful wtih carbs. If you are a typically healthy person, no reason to mess with the macros unless you are finding that things are not working for you. For myself, I have found that fat and protein are my magic bullet for feeling full and satisfied, so I like to eat more of those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sanegec wrote: »
    Hey MFP!

Looking at my daily intake I have a minimum of 50% carbs. I have only been eating fresh NonProcessed veggies & fruit. I eliminated whole oats & curved raw natural p&b. Isn't that too much in carbs?

50% could be fine. The question is if you are getting enough of what you need otherwise. How are your calories, fiber, fat, and protein? I have to admit that 50% carbs from fruits and veg makes me wonder if your calories are extremely low.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes...drop carbs to 10 percent. ...protein 20-25 percent, fats 65-70 percent. You be good.
  • sanegec
    sanegec Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    no...

Yes p/b is peanut butter. Veggies & fruit only bc it's a fast that I do 2x's a year. Thanks for reply it just thought it was too much of my intake. But seems as if it's not much to be concerned with
  • sanegec
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sanegec wrote: »
    Hey MFP!

50% could be fine. The question is if you are getting enough of what you need otherwise. How are your calories, fiber, fat, and protein? I have to admit that 50% carbs from fruits and veg makes me wonder if your calories are extremely low.

1350 calories 169g of carbs I think 45g protein. Fiber not sure. I swear I never thought I would have a hard time filling calories but I'm just not hungry. I prep meals but then when it's time to eat I can't finish it.
  • sanegec
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »

This. Personally, I have my carbs set at 40%, but that is partly because I was previously considered insulin resistant, so I try to be careful wtih carbs. If you are a typically healthy person, no reason to mess with the macros unless you are finding that things are not working for you. For myself, I have found that fat and protein are my magic bullet for feeling full and satisfied, so I like to eat more of those.

No true restrictions. Just thought it was odd that everyday carbs make up 50% of my intake. I guess no worries
  • sanegec
    Options
    no...

For real? Rice is a staple of so many peoples diets and many of those people are not overweight. As pointed out already, barring some medical issue, it's calories in<calories out that matter... that's it for weight loss.

Thanks
  • sanegec
    Options

I didn't know you could change Macros. Honestly even if I could don't think I would
  • sanegec
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Can't see your diary so I have no idea what your calorie, fat, or protein intake are. As I mentioned you need to get your fat and protein minimums. It looks like you want to lose 100+ pounds, based on that, you could very easily meet your minimums and have 50+% carb intake.
    Me for example, I have my protein and fat goals set as minimum (based on grams: body weight x 0.04 fat grams, body weight x 0.9 protein grams (which is conservatively high) , that leaves 60% carbs. I don't try to eat 60% carbs, I eat at least my protein and fat goals.

Thanks for formulas! Protein was a struggle at first bc I don't normally take in protein everyday.
  • sanegec
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Do you have medical issues re: carbs?

If not, then no it's not too many. Focus more on protein and fats....carbs are what's left over.

Thought that was true my protein & fat or fiber which ever is reported on macros is usually like 16% & 15% of daily intake
  • sanegec
    Options
    no...