Is it irresponsible to give out candy with common allergens in today's society?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
Should we retire our peanut butter cups/pumpkins?

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous, it should be the parents job to make sure THEIR kids are safe. Not my problem that nature selected their children to be allergic to something as amazing as peanuts.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yes. at my house we only give out Dixie cups of water and stern lectures.

genius
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    What am I supposed to do, ask every little Darth Vader and Elsa if they have their epi pen handy? Eff that noise, here's a Reeces, may the odds be ever in your favor.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Should we retire our peanut butter cups/pumpkins?

Not quite there yet. That's #3 on the 86 list.
    #2 is raisins
    #1 is that person who drops a handful of pennies in the kids bags,

Once #1 and #2 are eliminated we can start discussing #3.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    We had our "moral" dentist in the neighborhood who gave out toothbrushes and dental floss......WTF is that?!?!?!
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    We had our "moral" dentist in the neighborhood who gave out toothbrushes and dental floss......WTF is that?!?!?!

we had our "moral" lawyer who gave out business cards when kids tripped and fell.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I always have a bin of peanut free treats on hand but there's no way I'm not buying Pb cups.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    haha no. it's irresponsible for parents of children with allergies to allow them to eat whatever they get in their bag - also.....most candy is not good for a true peanut allergy because it's all made in the same factory so you'd be retiring more than just your Reese's.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    capnrus789 wrote: »
    What am I supposed to do, ask every little Darth Vader and Elsa if they have their epi pen handy? Eff that noise, here's a Reeces, may the odds be ever in your favor.

I just like this so much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    as a parent of a three year old with a deathly peanut allergy, this *kitten* always scares the *kitten* out of me. not just trick or treating or whatever...but going to restaurants and whatnot where you ask some moron waiter if there's peanuts in X or Y and they come back with, "I don't think so"...

my wife and i are as vigilant as we can be, but there's always that chance that something is going to get by us, and it scares the *kitten* out of me. i'm not so much worried about the candy at this point because we go with him and check his stash...but in general having a kid with severe peanut allergies is pretty frightening sometimes. epi on hand at all times.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Irresponsible for the parents not to check their kids food for allergens and tampering.

No worries on the pb here though. In my house it goes...handful of random non-pb candy for you, pb cup for me. :D

ETA: @cwolfman13-I can only imagine how scary that is as I know how easy it is to miss things. I hope your kids have a safe halloween.
  • jmule24
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    as a parent of a three year old with a deathly peanut allergy, this *kitten* always scares the *kitten* out of me. not just trick or treating or whatever...but going to restaurants and whatnot where you ask some moron waiter if there's peanuts in X or Y and they come back with, "I don't think so"...

my wife and i are as vigilant as we can be, but there's always that chance that something is going to get by us, and it scares the *kitten* out of me. i'm not so much worried about the candy at this point because we go with him and check his stash...but in general having a kid with severe peanut allergies is pretty frightening sometimes. epi on hand at all times.

I'm sorry to hear your son has this type of allergy. I hope you understand this is in the chit-chat/fun section of the forums, which is laden with sarcasm, cheesy humor, and lewdness........

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Give them a beer instead.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would not put too much thought in it. The parents these days are so anal I am sure they monitor everything little Bobby puts in his mouth.
  • jmule24
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    I would not put too much thought in it. The parents these days are so anal I am sure they monitor everything little Bobby puts in his mouth.

Are you **** crazy?!?!?! Peanut allergies are ***** serious stuff!!!! Most people can't even touch those nuts, let alone get them near their mouth!!!!!! Shame on you!
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I dare children to take the peanut butter cups. Also available: chocolate covered antihistamine. (Sarcastic joke/mean person insensitivity)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

THAT is a license to egg the *kitten* out of their house. They are asking for it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This is why we can't have nice things