Addicted to commercialized foods?

Options
Yes, just like Ruthfmoy said today (Oct 30-15), most commercialized foods are all designed by the manufactures to trick palate, taste buds and senses, to keep buying and feeding our kids and ourselves those treats, foods, or whatever they are. I'm learning I'd rather bring celery sticks w/healthy peanut butter, some fruit, and lemon water eat, or snack on, than keep stuffing up w/ all those "oh-so delicious foods" that does nothing but spike up this, and that, in a negative way, incl. any undesirable weight carry on. But, it all depends on what faze of life you're at. This might not make much sense to some, as I know it didn't me, before.

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Well when you think about it, Nature herself is a fiend too. How dare she make fruits and vegetables and protein sources so delectable that I'd want to eat them?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on the individualized palate. I can take or leave most chips, cookies, etc.. You will never catch me in the 5000 car line at Chick-fil-a. However, I have been known to hit up a grocery store at midnight because I ran out of apples and knew I would want one in the morning. Also cheese. I can't ever run out of cheese.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Repeat business is what everyone goes for where you cut hair, write Rx's or push carbs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    Well when you think about it, Nature herself is a fiend too. How dare she make fruits and vegetables and protein sources so delectable that I'd want to eat them?

:p
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Food manufacturers want to make their food taste so good that we'll buy them again -- imagine that!

Seriously though, it's up to you to control your intake. After you get off the processed stuff for a while, you won't want it anymore. I used to see grocery store cupcakes and want to eat the whole package of them. Nowadays, I see other people eating the same cupcakes and think "Do they actually think that those things taste good?"
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Jeanieh91 wrote: »
    Yes, just like Ruthfmoy said today (Oct 30-15), most commercialized foods are all designed by the manufactures to trick palate, taste buds and senses, to keep buying and feeding our kids and ourselves those treats, foods, or whatever they are. I'm learning I'd rather bring celery sticks w/healthy peanut butter, some fruit, and lemon water eat, or snack on, than keep stuffing up w/ all those "oh-so delicious foods" that does nothing but spike up this, and that, in a negative way, incl. any undesirable weight carry on. But, it all depends on what faze of life you're at. This might not make much sense to some, as I know it didn't me, before.

Every recipe in the world is designed to appeal to the palate and other senses. It's like you've never watched a cooking programme.

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Every recipe in the world is designed to appeal to the palate and other senses. It's like you've never watched a cooking programme.
    The original Graham Cracker was purposefully designed not to appeal to tastebuds. It actually supposed to be so dry and bland and nasty that it killed your appetite, both gastrointestinally and sexually.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Corn Flakes started out this way too.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I so blame that apple.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to discern food as just being fuel, for our bodies; when we create delectable recipes.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

I agree that food manufacturers are in it for money. Capitalism. They want to us to create a physiological and psychological need (comfort), for *their* food product -- of course, there's a physical need for food, sustenance, but what I talking about goes beyond that.
    They are selling a product and we are the target market.
    Moderation does not make ConAgra stock soar.

Yet, the food that tempts me and that I tend to overeat is often not the manufactured kind. I can easily pass chips, cookies, ice cream cake, pancakes,McD's, chocolate etc...

I go overboard on steak, ribs, shrimp, more steak (and yes, wine and Guinness.) But mostly, natural foods -- so in my case, I can't blame Big Food for *my* indulgences :/

It's just me...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

Hi
    I agree, the snack foods especially are designed to make up keep coming back and to make us eat the whole thing in one sitting so we buy more of them.

Most of them now have no real appeal to me now that I have been eating healthier for 1Year 10 months :)

If I do eat them they do not taste good or anything like I remember.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Food manufacturers want to make their food taste so good that we'll buy them again -- imagine that!

Seriously though, it's up to you to control your intake. After you get off the processed stuff for a while, you won't want it anymore. I used to see grocery store cupcakes and want to eat the whole package of them. Nowadays, I see other people eating the same cupcakes and think "Do they actually think that those things taste good?"

Hi
    If You watch the cooking shows where they have judges one of the things they complain about is not enough seasoning. Or to put it another way they want more salt.

So many foods have either sugar or Corn sweeteners in them. Which explains the current explosion in Daibetes and Obesity.

Cheers
    Roger
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

LOL at the comparison.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Except.. most of our fruits and vegetables have been heavily manipulated by man and loosely resemble their original nature designed form. The natural form is not nearly so large and hyper palatable as the manipulated by man form.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We make the decision to buy and buy into these hyper palatable foods, most of which don't nourish us.

It's a tough thing to do, but we can actively seek to avoid them, or reduce/limit our consumption.
    Don't have them in the house. Save them for special occasions, or just don't eat them at all (which for me is the easiest).
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I think we overuse the word "addiction." A "craving" or a "desire" is not an "addiction".

I just don't keep that crap in my house.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

The original Graham Cracker was purposefully designed not to appeal to tastebuds. It actually supposed to be so dry and bland and nasty that it killed your appetite, both gastrointestinally and sexually.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Corn Flakes started out this way too.

I think that I had one of those original graham crackers last week after I woke up from surgery. It was god awful nasty after 24 hours without food.

I will stick with the flavor enhanced commercialized version!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like my food tasty

I'm delighted to have a wide range of produce and spices to cook with and on the shelf to buy into

I don't tend to eat ready meals with the exception of BOL veg pot

This thread feels a little, oh no we live in the modern age, we are doomed

Whereas actually we have choice

Don't choose food you consider crap
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't have to buy crappy manufactured processed food, I am perfectly capable to make my own addictive delights in my own kitchen. I am the baking queen!

Seriously, their business is to sell to the consumer. We have to chose what we will buy. There's no big revelation here.