Well with the holidays coming I feel doomed

Options
2»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    From Thanksgiving through Christmas I plan on doing maintenance. I will pick back up after the first of the year for the last 20lbs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    are no unwilling food victims

We are the accumulation of the choices we make

The holidays do not make people fat.

What they choose to eat and do, that makes them fat, or not.

Doomed seems a bit melodramatic. Maybe it is a time that has been challenging in the past and a new way of dealing with it needs to be put in place.

Like.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Quite a bit of positive input here. And I think I agree with pretty much all of it.

The one thing I would add is that the scale isn't the only measure that counts. If you feel good, are happy with how you look, etc.... what difference does the scale really make?

Like the OP, I don't weigh food. It's just a hurdle I am avoiding as I don't want to do it the rest of my life. So I've adjusted my goals based on my error in food estimation and/or calorie burn estimations. It's an imperfect science regardless, and I know if I have the self control and a way to assess myself, then things will fall into place.

I don't expect a perfect trajectory to my end goal. I expect to find some hurdles and plateaus. But if I'm overall making progress towards my end goal, then I'll be happy.

As for the holiday meals. My plan is to eat light on certain days, look at goals in weeks vs days (I already do that really) and eat what I want on certain days. I've already learned I can eat WAY too much in a single day, and in the overall picture of things it doesn't matter. I think Rankinsect nailed it with his comment!
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Nah not worth it
  • ZeXea
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Quite a bit of positive input here. And I think I agree with pretty much all of it.

The one thing I would add is that the scale isn't the only measure that counts. If you feel good, are happy with how you look, etc.... what difference does the scale really make?

Like the OP, I don't weigh food. It's just a hurdle I am avoiding as I don't want to do it the rest of my life. So I've adjusted my goals based on my error in food estimation and/or calorie burn estimations. It's an imperfect science regardless, and I know if I have the self control and a way to assess myself, then things will fall into place.

I don't expect a perfect trajectory to my end goal. I expect to find some hurdles and plateaus. But if I'm overall making progress towards my end goal, then I'll be happy.

As for the holiday meals. My plan is to eat light on certain days, look at goals in weeks vs days (I already do that really) and eat what I want on certain days. I've already learned I can eat WAY too much in a single day, and in the overall picture of things it doesn't matter. I think Rankinsect nailed it with his comment!

thank you for the reply :) it's nice to read comments that don't seem condescending or like they want to stick out for not being very supportive.

I personally found my actual end goal because I was and still am able to fit into the pant size I wanted to. Which is great but I feel I barely squeeze in. I though losing five more pounds I would be able to slip them on with no issue. It's not really a numbers game completely so much as inches, but I can't imagine when all I do is run stairs that I will eat more, weigh more, but still lose inches?
    So that's why I felt blue about it and made this thread.

That and egg nog is like 200 calories for 1/2 cup or 1 cup. I forget. That one was a knife to the heart LOL
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    From Thanksgiving through Christmas I plan on doing maintenance. I will pick back up after the first of the year for the last 20lbs.
    I'm going to try that, I thought about it some time and I think I will keep my excersising routine and just see where I go through the holidays.
    At the end of it, regardless, comes the new year. Everyone tries to get fit then so I'll have lots of support and others there as well with the same goal at least :)
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    One way to look at it... you're at least minimizing the damage by being more careful the rest of the time.

That's pretty much what you should do for the Holidays. Realistically... don't even think about losing weight at that time. Just eat what you want (within reasons) on the Holidays themselves, but stay on track the rest of the week. It will be pretty much the same as what you've been doing... and at least that way you're not likely to gain much weight at all. But yeah, I agree with eating what you love and what you really feel like eating at the time. I often pass on dessert because it's not really what I've been craving, for example.

The problem if you want to lose is that you have to be more careful the rest of the time. I mean, I had a big lunch at a restaurant yesterday for lunch, so I skipped dinner, and I was still under maintenance for the day. So my advice is to be more mindful and not let yourself have 1-2 days a week when you go over (I do the same thing, mind you, but I've been maintaining). And if you know you can't help it and will do it anyway, decrease your goal so you have more of a buffer for those days.

tua k you for the advice, I'll try to essentially keep doing what I am. Monday - Thursday is amazing and I do quite well. It's Friday and Saturday, or at least Saturday, that I feel something happens like going out or a party and I end up eating too much.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    ZBennyXOXO wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »

thank you for the reply :) it's nice to read comments that don't seem condescending or like they want to stick out for not being very supportive.

I personally found my actual end goal because I was and still am able to fit into the pant size I wanted to. Which is great but I feel I barely squeeze in. I though losing five more pounds I would be able to slip them on with no issue. It's not really a numbers game completely so much as inches, but I can't imagine when all I do is run stairs that I will eat more, weigh more, but still lose inches?
    So that's why I felt blue about it and made this thread.

That and egg nog is like 200 calories for 1/2 cup or 1 cup. I forget. That one was a knife to the heart LOL

There are so many factors that can make weight fluctuate... I've seen my weight change 5 lbs in a day. And really, if you start building more muscle, you can look smaller and weigh more as well.

You mentioned running stairs. This is harder on the gluts and the quads, two of the largest muscles on your body. But also keep in mind that as you exercise and lose weight, your shape might be different than the last time you wore those same size pants, just because you are working different muscle groups.