Options
13»

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nowetdio wrote: »

That formula makes a lot more sense (for me, anyway) than BMI. It puts my target weight (at 13-15% BF) in a range I know I'm comfortable at and look pretty good. When I calculate my weight in the middle of the "healthy" BMI range, it suggests a weight that I haven't been at since high school, and I look emaciated and sickly at that weight. Even at the very top of the "healthy" BMI (24.9), it's too low - been there, and I know how it looked.

Also, BMI doesn't take bodyfat % into consideration (although people often confuse the two). A person who's 5'8", 150 lbs. and 30% BF will look radically different than a person who's 5'8", 150 lbs. at 15% BF, although their BMI will be identical.

BMI calculations also don't distinguish between male and female - and males carry more muscle mass than females do (speaking in general terms). Try it - go to a BMI calculator and enter your stats, try the calculation as both male and female (if the calculator even makes the distinction) - the results will be identical.

He's right. If you aren't comfortable generalizing with the BMI, which is often not gender-specific, try this one. It's an "Ideal Weight calculator", which does use BMI as PART of the calculation, but also adjusts for your frame size. I'm afraid it'll do nothing for muscle mass, but at least it's a good place to start. And it DOES change for male/female, so muscle mass difference between the genders is at least a little built in.

http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" 200 pounds and according to my BMI I'm obese. Do I look obese? No. I chose to be happy where I am now because I don't want to lose my hips. If I lose anymore, it'll be a bonus. But I love my body. Screw the number and screw BMI. qcua1zdjvcai.jpeg
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm going by a clothing size. I have been very overweight the majority of my life so I don't even know yet what weight will be my goal weight
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    The weight I felt the best at in the past.
    That weight is about the middle of the healthy BMI for my height.

This is the same as me.

The weight I know I feel good.
    The weight science says I should be. Not only BMI but other ideal weight formulas agree.
  • SingingPilgrim
    SingingPilgrim Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm still not near my healthy bmi range, but for now basically I looked at the highest healthiest BMI for my height, and then subtracted 10 pounds to give me a buffer, since no one stays static in their weight, that would let me be able to slide without leaving it...

That being said I'm very large framed and have a long torso and shorter legs (and since we hold most of our weight in our torso...) which makes me think my ideal weight might actually be a little above the highest BMI. BMI is not really considered that good of a measure to even many professionals, since it doesn't take into account these differences in the way we're shaped. For example, some professionals prefer the hip/waist ratio measure and according to that, I'm already healthy... even though I'm still currently like 70 or 80 pounds above my ideal maximum bmi! Craziness, right? So if I get closer to my BMI (at least 50 pounds down) and I'm happy, I may rest. But I figure shoot for the harder goal, then make smaller ones to celebrate along the way, because if I shot for the higher weight goal then I might not have the motivation to get smaller, even if it's possible.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I just picked a number near where I remembered feeling my best in the past. As I neared that number, I adjusted down again, since I thought I should lean down some more before adding back some muscle. Really BMI and most other numbers mean nothing to me. I think my final goal weight will be near where I originally set it, but if it changes that won't bother me a bit.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't so much have a goal weight as a goal look.

Numbers on a scale really don't matter.

Me too. Goal look more than goal weight. I told my husband that my goal is 140 at 5 9" because at the best shape of my adult life that was my weight. BUT, I work out now more than I ever have so once hitting 140 I will be exercising to further tighten, tone, tighten, tone by using photos every 30 days.
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The healthy BMI range for my age and height is 10st 4lb - 13st 13lb, now I'm happy being between 11-12st, going to add some strength training to my routine.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's a combination, I think. At 130 pounds my BMI is 23, and my clothes are US size 4 and 6. Those are solid guideposts, but the more important point is how comfortable I feel in my skin. I'm not really thinking anymore about how I look, I'm not plucking at my clothes all day or worrying that my a** looks big or whatever. I feel like I've figured out what my body needs in terms of nourishment and exercise, and in return my mind is free to focus on other things. So this is probably the right place for me.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lean Body Mass in Lbs / (1.0 - Desired Body Fat %)

Example: Male weighing 180 lbs. with a body fat of 25% and a target body fat of 20%
    Lean Body Mass of 135 lbs (180 * .75)
    Desired Body Fat is .2 (20%)
    Target weight is (135 / (1.0 - .2)) or 168.75
  • rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Lean Body Mass in Lbs / (1.0 - Desired Body Fat %)

Example: Male weighing 180 lbs. with a body fat of 25% and a target body fat of 20%
    Lean Body Mass of 135 lbs (180 * .75)
    Desired Body Fat is .2 (20%)
    Target weight is (135 / (1.0 - .2)) or 168.75

Unfortunately you will lose muscle along the way and need to adjust for the first ~5lbs of water/glycogen weight you lose so that #should de at least 8 lbs lower if not more depending on your body's individual muscle/fat loss ratio and how much water weight you lose at first.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately you will lose muscle along the way and need to adjust for the first ~5lbs of water/glycogen weight you lose so that #should de at least 8 lbs lower if not more depending on your body's individual muscle/fat loss ratio and how much water weight you lose at first.
    If you are attempting to achieve a body transformation you will be working to gain muscle to offset any deviation in lean body mass.
    Also, these goal posts move. I track this relationship and adjust as necessary.

Much better than saying "I need to lose 14 lbs."
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I still haven't chosen an "end goal". I have broken it down into increment's that are a little more attainable and when I get close to it I reevaluate where I am and where I want to go next.
    I figure I'll just keep playing it by ear until I'm in a normal bmi range :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Right now BMI; later bf % I imagine; ultimately just wherever I find my own unique 'angle of repose' in maintenance. I'm not looking to be the girl I was at 20-something...
  • cmeranda79
    cmeranda79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that I'm muscular and hence I weigh more, so I began investigating bodybuilding.com and checking the heights and weights of muscular women with the intention of finding a body type and range which suited me. I decided that based on the kind of training I like to do: some heavy weights but mostly bodyweight exercises of a gymnastic variety and yoga and power movements, that I'd be more efficient at a lighter weight, even if I lose some muscle. So at 5'3" I chose 120 lbs (I'm currently 142). I was surprised to see that with a low body fat percentage many women and men (on bodybuilding.com) maintain very high muscle mass and strength at only 115-135 lbs. I think UFC fighters are also indicative of this, that it's possible to be very strong at a pretty light weight. I actually think that what people believe is solely muscle mass on my frame is actually covered by a pretty solid layer of fat :wink: So that's how I chose my goal weight; based on fit but strong people in my age range and height range (and gender).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    If you know your lean body mass, a good way would be to use the formula

Lean body mass/ 1 minus your desired body fat percentage

So let's say someone wants to be 20% body fat and is currently 200lbs with a lean body mass of 130lbs

130/(1-.20)

130/.80

Answer 162.5lbs would be the target weight if lean body mass stayed the same. That's a loss of 32.5 lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KatieFerg95
    KatieFerg95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight i felt best at which was 125lbs. As i'm tall, that weight would put me at a slightly underweight bmi but i have a very slight frame so i look and feel fine.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    never had a goal weight...personally, i think having a goal weight puts far too much emphasis on some arbitrary number and can actually be a pretty negative thing. i put my focus into being healthy and fit and doing the things that healthy and fit people do and the rest just took care of itself. I stopped losing weight when i was at a BF% that was easily maintainable which is around 12%.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was 18stone. My goal is 10 stone. I figured that splat bang in the middle of my healthy weight range, so it's a good even number :) I'll be happy anywhere in my healthy weight range.