What do you log as exercise?

I was just curious as to what people log in as "exercise" - whether it's only purposeful things such as going for a run, bike ride, exercise classes, weights, gym session, etc. Or "accidental exercise" like walking to the shops or playing fetch with your dog etc. I always do grocery shopping, as I like to choose the best options nutrition-wise, in contrast to my dad who just goes for the cheap stuff :laugh:. The shops are about a 10 minute walk there and back, so do any of you bother putting stuff like this in??

Replies

• DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    I only log 'purposeful' (as you call it) exercise - the type where you actually have to wear sneakers & gym gear. Although I did go for a 20 min walk at a decent pace yesterday in my lunchbreak and I logged that. I certainly wouldn't log a stroll around the block in.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    I don't log any exercise. I calculated my desired daily calorie intake with the Katch McArdle equation, and set my calories manually on MFP. The equation factors in routine exercise, so I don't have to log exercise, much easier for me. Hit those macros!
  • I only log 'purposeful' workouts, everything else is a bonus. I feel like if you log every little thing its almost like trying to cheat the system to give yourself more 'binge' room.

I also try to stick to my macros and don't follow MFP calorie set up. I do not eat back what it subtracts and pretty much log workouts to help keep me motivated.
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    I only log 'purposeful' workouts, everything else is a bonus. I feel like if you log every little thing its almost like trying to cheat the system to give yourself more 'binge' room.

:laugh: This is the sneaky trap I fall into.. if I'm at my calories, but realllllyyy wants...lets say, a lolly. then I'll log in my 20 minute stroll just to make myself feel better :p I know one lolly really doesn't matter, but hey, atleast I won't be seeing those disheartening negative numbers :grumble:

This rarely happens though, and I just go on these walks to enjoy myself, not to try get "Exercise" :)
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    I only log 'purposeful' (as you call it) exercise - the type where you actually have to wear sneakers & gym gear. Although I did go for a 20 min walk at a decent pace yesterday in my lunchbreak and I logged that. I certainly wouldn't log a stroll around the block in.

I agree with THIS! "Exercise for the sake of exercising" - where you put on your shoes and your workout clothes and go get your sweat on!
    If you think about it-- you got to where you're at (where ever that is, but I assume, wanting to lose weight) doing things like, walking to the shops to go grocery shopping--- right? I mean, going to get groceries isn't a new thing, correct? So it's already figured in to the activity level that you set (lightly active, moderate, etc...). Same goes for housecleaning, or gardening. I've always done those things, and I've always run around with the kids, or took a recreational swim in the pool during the summer.... and somehow, I don't know how, I still got overweight! (sarcasm). So I do not count those things as exercise.

EXERCISE is exercise. Just my 2 cents. :smile:

edited: just read your bio and see you're not looking to lose weight-- but I stick by my answer to your original question about what to log as exercise. Good luck - you look super happy in your pic!:smile:
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    edited: just read your bio and see you're not looking to lose weight-- but I stick by my answer to your original question about what to log as exercise. Good luck - you look super happy in your pic!:smile:

Aww thank you :) Yeah, just maintaining at the moment :) The thought just came to me that I didn't often log stuff like that, and was wandering if I should. But yeah, usually I only do it if I need to feel better about going over by a mere 10 calories haha! I know it doesn't matter, but getting rid of the negative red numbers makes me feel better :p