Weight loss vs inch loss question.

Options
I started my weight loss journey at 106 kgs. My first goal was to get down to 90 kgs. The weight I was before I had my son. I am now at 97.5 kgs. So far away from my goal, yet most of the dresses I wore at 90 kgs are already fitting me well. I know this means I am losing inches. But when will the scale catch up? I am losing so slow like only 1- 1.5 kgs per month. Did anyone experience the same? Please share.

Replies

• MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yea for me I had to really lose a lot of pounds to start noticing my clothes fitting differently. I just burned fat and lost inches at a very slow pace :pensive:
  • rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you were at your higher weight you may have built some muscle in your legs and increased your bone density (both increase your weight without adding much if any size) so will be able to fit in sizes that before you had to weigh less to wear.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Inches trump pounds. Way to go!
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you were at your higher weight you may have built some muscle in your legs and increased your bone density (both increase your weight without adding much if any size) so will be able to fit in sizes that before you had to weigh less to wear.

I was at my highest weight for about 2 years. After which I began trying to lose weight. I had lost 4 kgs before I joined mfp. I have been very regular only since May this year. So far lost only 6 kgs in 6 months.
  • ro_vanou
    ro_vanou Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous lol I was in the 170's pre-pregnancy now I'm 180 and most of my tops fit but none of my jeans do.
  • rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »

I was at my highest weight for about 2 years. After which I began trying to lose weight. I had lost 4 kgs before I joined mfp. I have been very regular only since May this year. So far lost only 6 kgs in 6 months.

2 years of daily carrying around excess weight is enough time to increase bone density and have your body add muscle to carry around the added weight.

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale too much. I'm the same weight that I was 2 years ago (with some ups and downs in between)...3 sizes smaller thanks to heavy lifting. Losing inches is better.
  • CJsf1t
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    Don't worry about the scale too much. I'm the same weight that I was 2 years ago (with some ups and downs in between)...3 sizes smaller thanks to heavy lifting. Losing inches is better.

Thank you , that's heartening to read! I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, diet wise.
  • CJsf1t
    Options

2 years of daily carrying around excess weight is enough time to increase bone density and have your body add muscle to carry around the added weight.

Oh OK I didn't know that!! Also, I do feel I am large boned. My earlier GW was 65 -68 kgs but I have now bumped it up too 75 kgs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    why would some arbitrary number on the scale be more important than actually shrinking?
  • CJsf1t
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    why would some arbitrary number on the scale be more important than actually shrinking?

I know that inch loss is better than lbs loss, was just wondering when the scale would play catch up. Cuz ultimately I need to lose weight as I am technically obese.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    It might not. As time passes and I get older I notice that my body is just behaving differently. A pound now in my 40s is way different than a pound was in my 20s.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I know that inch loss is better than lbs loss, was just wondering when the scale would play catch up. Cuz ultimately I need to lose weight as I am technically obese.

it'll happen, it's a slow process...discipline, consistency, and patience.

as has been stated, carrying around excess weight is going to increase bone density and add muscle mass. in my case, I thought my goal weight would be around 165 - 170 Lbs or so...as it turns out, 180 Lbs was good and it put me at 12% BF...I would be at an unsustainably low BF% at 165 Lbs.

it's a long and slow slug fest and isn't a linear process at all.
  • CJsf1t
    Options

as has been stated, carrying around excess weight is going to increase bone density and add muscle mass. in my case, I thought my goal weight would be around 165 - 170 Lbs or so...as it turns out, 180 Lbs was good and it put me at 12% BF...I would be at an unsustainably low BF% at 165 Lbs.

It's definitely feeling so :). I think I should just Chuck the scale for sometime. For my peace of mind!
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Kinda off topic, but I am so glad that we use lbs rather than kgs! I like to see the movement on the scale and it seems to move so much slower when measuring in kgs (since there are 2.2 kgs in 1 lb).

I don't think there is a great answer to your question. If you are losing inches, then I would keep doing what you are doing. Maybe you are building more muscle? Keep it up!
  • cwolfman13
    Options

It's definitely feeling so :). I think I should just Chuck the scale for sometime. For my peace of mind!

when i started looking at all of this as simply good livin' for my overall health and well being rather than worrying about needing to lose X Lbs by such and such and why is it going so slow, etc...that's when things became a lot easier for me. it was the realization that the things I was doing were things I would need to do into perpetuity...and that helped me just really focus on the process of becoming a healthier and more fit individual rather than what the scale said.

i'm more than three years into this good livin' thing and i really look at my weight loss and maintenance as a bi-product of doing the things that healthy and fit people do day in and day out. for me, it's just that...doing what I do isn't for weight management...i do what i do because that's what healthy and fit people do...and doing what healthy and fit people do ultimately results in being healthy and fit.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is me now. I find even though i changed my my diet and I'm exercising to the point where i feel sick after I'm only losing 1-3 lbs a month and this could just be water weight. I feel my legs are toning but it's not decreasing significantly. So not motivated
  • CJsf1t
    Options
    jodidari wrote: »
    This is me now. I find even though i changed my my diet and I'm exercising to the point where i feel sick after I'm only losing 1-3 lbs a month and this could just be water weight. I feel my legs are toning but it's not decreasing significantly. So not motivated

Glad to know someone going through the same thing! I read all these posts of people losing 50 lbs in 6 months etc and think what's wrong with me :)/ it gets really frustrating.
  • KIMMYSAND
    KIMMYSAND Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    IKR! However, I do know that you can't compare yourself to others because you just have to take their word for what they are doing to lose weight. Every weight loss is not a good weight loss. I have lost fast weight many times before, but the weight always returns. As long as we eat excessively, we will gain. the beauty of that is the reverse, as we eat consciously and moderately, and exercise, we WILL lose the weight. It takes set calories to maintain different weights. My advise to you and to me is to have patience, be true to this journey and realize that time is on our side!! This time 6 months from now, we will be far ahead in progress.