Looking for apple recipes

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I have a ton of apples at the moment.
Usually I make jam when I have too many fruit, but currently I have jam for a year, so not in the mood of making even more.
Other than apple pie or baked apples, any ideas?

Replies

• tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Smoothies? Applesauce can be used to substitute butter and other not-so-healthy things in recipes as well. Websites like Skinny MS or Pioneer Woman (latter is a southern woman who has SOME healthy options). http://cookieandkate.com is another.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I do cored and sliced apples in the crockpot. With some cinnamon, sugar and a bit of apple cider.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can try slicing and baking them into apple chips! Or maybe apple pancakes, apple juice, apple bread.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    These just came out of the oven. Recipe follows! b3yyj5gkv92u.jpeg

Baked apples with oatmeal cookie crumble

(This one came out to 205 calories per serving, 4 g. fiber, 8 g. fat.)

Toss together:
    4 apples, sliced (I leave the peels on for extra nutrition.)
    2 T. flour
    1 T. sugar
    1 t. cinnamon

Place the apple mixture in 5-6 ramekins or a small glass baking dish.

Combine until it resembles a cookie dough:
    3 T. unsalted butter
    2 T. brown sugar
    3/4 cup old fashioned oats

Sprinkle the crumble over the apples and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until the crumble feels like a cookie.

image.jpeg 1013.1K
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas :)
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I throw apples in the skillet with pork chops and onions, and also when I roast sweet potato or butternut squash and pumpkin. So good and brightens up roast veg.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Slice apples thin, slice (peeled) sweet potatoes thin. Layer together in a casserole dish (sprinkle with salt). Mix chopped crystalized ginger, cloves and brown sugar, sprinkle on potatoes. Drizzle with a mixture of apple juice concentrate and melted butter. Bake covered 1/2 hour. Then uncovered 1/2 hour.

This is a Weight Watchers recipe.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-applesauce/

Have you tried canning your own applesauce? It's easier than you'd think. I used this recipe last year when I had 40 pounds of apples to get through. It's so yummy! Especially when it's still warm. Mmmmm.... I know what I'm having for a snack tonight!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Apples (especially Macintosh) and ginger go great together in smoothies! What type of apples do you have? That will help since different ones are used in different recipes.
  • 321BooM
    321BooM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stew the apples with a bit of sugar and then you can freeze. I like to have as a pudding with a bit of natural yoghurt
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Apple strudel? I've not totted up calories, but given it's filo pastry, can't be too bad? I keep meaning to make a Dorset apple cake, we've had a bumper crop this year, too.
  • unicorn_wild_flower
    Options
    Apple + Peanut butter = Love of my life