Light Mexican Options

Options
Anybody know any lighter choices I can get at a Mexican restaurant? Anything under 500?

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I get shrimp fajitas and just have 1 tortilla. Then I go light on the cheese, sour cream, guacamole etc. DON'T EAT THE BASKET OF CHIPS!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a plate that has black beans, rice, chicken, fajitas....etc? You can probably tailor your order to your liking.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    For me the problem with Mexican restaurants is the portions. So eat half, take home half?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Two tacos or two tostadas but I guess it can be closer to 600 depending on the size.
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    taco sald, don't eat the deep fried taco. Our local mexican restaurant does a spinach mushroom burrito that you can get without cheese which is very good. You can take home the sides for another meal.
  • Francl27
    Options
    ewrook wrote: »
    taco sald, don't eat the deep fried taco. Our local mexican restaurant does a spinach mushroom burrito that you can get without cheese which is very good. You can take home the sides for another meal.

As long as you just ask for salsa as dressing, yeah.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos are usually low cal and high in protein. Bean options and possibly veggie or black bean tacos are usually low as well.
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Chicken or shrimp fajitas tostada nada. Nada= no shell, no rice, no beans, no cheese, no dressing. Ask for the protein and veggies to be cooked in as little oil as possible. Use lemon juice on everything. I have love it this way!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Most of the caldos are pretty light- caldo de pollo, caldo de Rez and chicken tortilla are my general go to at most Mexican joints. Unless I'm aiming to misbehave.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Many good choices. Check out if they provide nutrition numbers. Be careful on the chains there's a couple that routinely make the worst places to eat lists, the ones fish tacos are about 1000 calories per serving.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I use to always eat grilled chicken on a bed of rice with queso and vegetables. Someone said it was on the light side and I always ate that but then some people say it's high in calories and it's my favorite and I love fajitas without the tortilla but it's so high in sodium.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I ask for corn tortillas and them warmed, not fried. I order anything with a lean protein and veg (fajitas are great for that) and load up on cilantro, lime, hot sauce, jalapeño, salsa.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    given typical restaurant portion sizes, you'd be hard pressed to find anything in any restaurant that was inherently under 500 calories unless they have a specific menu for that.

as Mexican food goes, your best bet is probably chicken fajitas and only eat half. skip the chips and watch it on the tortillas.

or you could just go have a good time and enjoy yourself and carry on tomorrow.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Getting one of their grilled meats served on a bed of shredded lettuce, cabbage, radish etc (which is the usual Mexican plato garnish) with fresh salsa as your condiment is always a safe bet. Eat a steamed tortilla on the side if it fits your macros.
  • Francl27
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Fish tacos are usually low cal and high in protein. Bean options and possibly veggie or black bean tacos are usually low as well.

Wherever I check the calories on fish tacos in restaurants that have nutrition info, it's one of the highest calorie dishes.

Just FYI.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Here is our menu. I usually get a Happy Plate or Junior but now I'm not so sure.

http://www.myfernandos.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fernandos-Pearl-Menu.pdf
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    chicken tortilla soup
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    It wouldn't b rude to order one of those but replace the rice with the Grilled Veggables from the side menu would it?
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'd get two crispy tacos with grilled veggies, or any of the salads with salsa for dressing. The fajitas would work but the sides are the high calorie part, although I guess you could ask for veggies instead of beans and rice.

That place actually has better options than the ones I'm used to, even though the taco picture on the right looks like Taco Bell (WTF?).
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are a great choice and then just limit how you put them together.