I dont want to be skinny FAT

Options
For 80 days straight I've been eating 1,800 calories on my workout days for my none lifting days which i go in and do 1 hour of cardio I eat minimum of 1,500 a day today i came across a proper lean guy with fairly amount of mass and he told me man you're going to hard you need to eat more. my TDEE is: 2255 Calories/Day should i up my calories to about 2,000 on lifting days and none lifting days to 1,800 i don't want to lose my mass i want a lean looking body however im losing 1 KG a week even im going balls deep on workouts and eating 1,800 a day I just dont know anymore i need solid advice is my current calories to low should i up them whats your take on this

Replies

• KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    With the amount of exercise you are doing and on that amount of calories, you'll be losing a lot of weight resulting in a loss of muscle mass! It sounds like you should be bulking up in which you add muscle mass and fat. So you should be eating upwards of 2000 calories a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bag the cardio, up your calories and lift heavy.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Bag the cardio, up your calories and lift heavy.

This :)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Increase to 2100 to 2150, lift heavy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    First off - if you've been dieting straight for 80 days, take a break for a week or two. Doesn't mean - eat all the things but go back to maintenance or a bit above. The reason: A whole lot of hormonal and physical changes occur when we diet, the body needs a break every once in a while or the down regulation becomes efficient and weight loss will be harder and energy levels, mood, etc. will be affected.

Second - losing at 1kg per week is reasonable for quite a while - however as you approach your goal, yes there is more risk of lean mass loss at higher deficits - so yes, going to a deficit that results on 1/2 kg per week loss will be likelier to preserve lean mass.

Do you enjoy the cardio? You can keep it if you like BUT you need to fuel it properly or else...

What is you bf%?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Keep the weight loss under 1% of your current body weight and if you are still overweight on the BMI scale you don't have much to worry about. As the BF% drops you should reduce your rate of loss as you won't have the stored energy on your body to provide for your energy needs.

At 1Kg/week that is ~1100 calories/day deficit. Your TDEE is much higher than 2200 if you are logging your food and weighing yourself properly. Your TDEE based on the information you provided is ~2750.

So, it sounds to me like you should probably eat more, how much more I don't know as you didn't list your current weight, goal weight, or your targeted rate of loss. Maybe ~2000-2250/day on average. That would be ~0.5-0.75Kg/week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You're a 22 yo young man eating less calories than me...a 43 YO woman..*smh*

really?

My son is your age and his TDEE is at least 3500 a day how can your TDEE be less than mine? which is 2250-2400 a day (depending on cardio)/
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    You're a 22 yo young man eating less calories than me...a 43 YO woman..*smh*

really?

My son is your age and his TDEE is at least 3500 a day how can your TDEE be less than mine? which is 2250-2400 a day (depending on cardio)/

This post really isn't helpful. For starters, we already know his TDEE isn't lower than yours, he provided all the information you need to figure that out, he was probably misguided though, or possibly mistook TDEE for NEAT. However, if he stopped exercising his TDEE would probably be right around yours.

As for eating less, who cares? I probably eat less than you and I don't care one bit. My weight loss is within healthy guidelines and my BF measurements indicate that FFM is holding steady. Your goals are different than my goals and probably his goals. If you are going to compare yourself as an example you should have similar height , weight, activity level and goals.

Also, your son's TDEE has nothing to do with this guys TDEE. Age has little to do with TDEE, as weight and activity level have a significantly bigger impact (especially if the activity is cardio). We already know that his TDEE is ~2750, if you advised him to eat 3500 he would gain weight, which appears to be the opposite of what he is trying to achieve.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Keep the weight loss under 1% of your current body weight and if you are still overweight on the BMI scale you don't have much to worry about. As the BF% drops you should reduce your rate of loss as you won't have the stored energy on your body to provide for your energy needs.

At 1Kg/week that is ~1100 calories/day deficit. Your TDEE is much higher than 2200 if you are logging your food and weighing yourself properly. Your TDEE based on the information you provided is ~2750.

So, it sounds to me like you should probably eat more, how much more I don't know as you didn't list your current weight, goal weight, or your targeted rate of loss. Maybe ~2000-2250/day on average. That would be ~0.5-0.75Kg/week.

This.