Any Good Soup Recipes out there

Options
Bobbie253
Bobbie253 Posts: 13 Member
I enjoy soups, anybody know of any healthy soup recipes, PLEASE share....:smile:

Replies

• Penny_Harrison
    Penny_Harrison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Bobbie. Actually I was planning on making a big pot tomorrow morning, been off track, and a big steaming bowl of hot soup is just what I need to fill me up and warm me up, FREEZING here in New Zealand. I just put several cartons of real chicken stock in a pot, add lots of garlic, thyme, a ton of veggies (leek, carrots, onion, pumpkin,beans, zucchini, silverbeet, whatever you like) and a couple of chopped up chicken breasts and simmer till the veggies are soft and the chicken cooked. really easy and low in carbs and fat. Can cook those soup lentils in the stock first if you like your soups more substantial.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My sister has a great recipe for Spicy Pumpkin soup similar to this one: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/spicy-pumpkin-soup-L8806.html which is delicious (although I don't use cream in mine). I've also made it with mixed root vegetables instead of the pumpkin (potatoes, parsnip, carrot, swede etc) which is also very yummy!

I also agree with Penny about making a big batch and freezing it. In the winter I froze mine in individual portions and bought them into work for lunch! It was mostly defrosted by lunchtime and then I warmed it up in the microwave.

Lisa x
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I tend not to follow recipes too much for soups. What I usually do is fry chopped onions, celery, carrots, leeks etc (whatever I have) in a tiny bit of oil, then add stock with whatever other chopped vegetables I have around, bring to the boil and simmer until they're cooked, and then blend (or not, depending on the texture I want). I also like to add lentils and/or pearled barley for more protein and fibre. So, mine are usually "mixed vegetable" but if you want a particular flavour to dominate, just use mostly that one vegetable. Broccoli soup's nice, or cauliflower, or leek & potato.

I never use milk or cream, so it's always fairly low in calories. It you want more bulk, you can add more lentils or other pulses, or potatoes etc, but if you want it to be very low in calories, then you can leave those bits out. If I want a spicier soup, I add some spices (eg. cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne) with the onions at the beginning. I find soups a great way to increase my fibre and micronutrient intake, as well as being quite filling for not many calories. The soup I'm eating at the moment (mixed vegetables with spices and broad beans) has about 100 calories per bowl, with 5g protein, 5g fibre and about 500mg potassium, plus lots of other vitamins and minerals.

Sorry, I haven't given you an actual recipe, (but there are tons out there if you google), I just think if you go with what you've got, and start experimenting, you'll come up with something really tasty.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    7-Day Diet Weight Loss Soup (Wonder Soup)

Ingredients
    ½ head of cabbage, chopped
    1 cup celery, diced
    1 cup white or yellow onion, diced
    1 cup carrots, diced
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups chicken broth
    14 oz can basil, oregano, garlic diced tomatoes
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    few shakes of black pepper
    ½ teaspoon salt (optional)

Instructions
    Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
    Add celery, onions, bell peppers, and carrots.
    Saute until slightly tender.
    Stir in garlic.
    Pour in chicken broth.
    Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
    Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
    Cook until cabbage is tender.
    Stir in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt (if using)
    Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.
    Serve and enjoy!

####################################################
    This recipe came from Divas Can Cook which is
    Old School Cooking For The Modern Woman.
    Make sure you go check out the website for more great recipes.

###################################################
    Read More http://divascancook.com/2012/10/wonder-soup-recipe-weight-loss-soup-7-day-diet-cabbage-soup.html