I hate the treadmill, but winter is coming...any tips?

Options
I have fell in love with running outside. My problem is that I live in the midwest and winter is going to be upon us sooner than I wish. I can bundle up some days and manage, but I would like to continue running about 3x a week. I have a gym at my college that I can use for free, and I have tried it a couple of times. My problem is that I hate the treadmill. I'm afraid I'm going to trip and bang my face. I also am constantly playing with the settings and cannot find a "routine" that I enjoy. I cannot figure out how to preprogram it either. I would like to set it so I can do my Couch to 10k, but I don't know how. Also, I get bored because the "scenery" doesn't change. I don't know, anyone have any tips?

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota and plan to run outside all winter long. Watch the forecast and dress for the weather.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    ^ that

stationary bike is good if you don't like the tm

you could make a distance game of it..
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am using indoor tracks, but you could also just dress warmer.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    wear lots of clothes? I don't know - I hate treadmill too - so I only do HIIT on it. quick, easy, burns lots of cals and done before you even know it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind the treadmill. I tune into a show that I like and do commercial intervals (I do the same thing when I ride my bicycle inside too).

Jog or walk briskly during the show, then when the commercial comes on, run fast for the duration of the commercial. Or when cycling inside, I ride at a steady pace when the show is on, then ride flat out as hard as I can during the commercial. Then recover when the show comes back on.

Half and hour or an hour goes by in no time. :)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes and gear. If you want to run inside though, I find running intervals makes the treadmill bearable.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I have my treadmill set up in the garage, its set up in front of a tv that plays dvds, I have lots of sets of dvds that I am treadmilling my way through, currently watching Heroes.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Learn to like the cold?

I have a trainer set up on one of my bikes and watch tv on the bike

At a pint it just isn't as much fun as riding outside but it is what it is

I have an elliptical for a change up but it is still inside

The gym is a nice change up too
  • dfhawk
    dfhawk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try taping your current runs now for playback on the dvr. There are also commercially made scenery videos you can buy. Just Google exercise scenery video.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the college have an inside track? Our local university has a track around the upper level of the basketball court.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for finding an inside track. When I was snowbound last winter I joined the Y for a month for their elevated track. I hate the treadmill too.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    lunges and squats without weights....just thinking out loud....i do them to warm up
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the college have an inside track? Our local university has a track around the upper level of the basketball court.

It's a small community college so unfortunately no. So it appears I just need to get winter weather gear. Anyone have any cost effective tips for running in the snow?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    I have fell in love with running outside. My problem is that I live in the midwest and winter is going to be upon us sooner than I wish. I can bundle up some days and manage, but I would like to continue running about 3x a week. I have a gym at my college that I can use for free, and I have tried it a couple of times. My problem is that I hate the treadmill. I'm afraid I'm going to trip and bang my face. I also am constantly playing with the settings and cannot find a "routine" that I enjoy. I cannot figure out how to preprogram it either. I would like to set it so I can do my Couch to 10k, but I don't know how. Also, I get bored because the "scenery" doesn't change. I don't know, anyone have any tips?

Ask someone who works there to show you how to use the settings. Most have a button to quick toggle between two speeds, which makes your run/walk intervals easy if you're doing those on your program.

I like the treadmill only if I set it and forget it - in fact, I put a towel over the screen so I can't watch the numbers go by, which helps a lot. I use both the manual (just setting it to whatever pace and incline I want and then leaving it) and the preprogrammed (hill intervals and that kind of thing) depending on what's on my training schedule, and I try to do a mix of long slow distance, tempo runs (where I do some miles slower, some faster), and hills/sprint intervals. Keeps it more interesting. I use the Zombies, Run! app too (which has a treadmill tracking option) to keep my mind a little more occupied. I've also gotten to the point where I can read an ebook on my tablet with the font enlarged a bit while I run, which really makes the time fly but makes some people sick/dizzy so might not be for you. I find it a lot easier to do my long runs with those or even an audiobook.

There are other options, as people have already mentioned, from bundling up to indoor tracks, but the treadmill is convenient and it's not hard to get used to with a few attempts if it's a solution you want to pursue.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    wear lots of clothes? I don't know - I hate treadmill too - so I only do HIIT on it. quick, easy, burns lots of cals and done before you even know it.

^^this.

As far as running in the snow, it's really not much different than regular running. I don't use spikes if there isn't ice. It feels kind of squishy under your feet, think sand, but your traction will be okay if you slow down when you feel slippery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My preferred cardiovascular exercise is cycling outdoors...but when winter comes, I do far less of that though I still get out on nicer days. I don't really like droning away on cardio machines, but basically when winter rolls around I suck it up for a few days per week and just do what I have to do...it's temporary...Spring will come around again pretty quickly.

I also spend more time in the weight room in the winter and tend to do less cardio work in general during the winter months...basically just enough to maintain a reasonable base to work with once Spring rolls around and I start getting my miles in again.

If you're so inclined, you could do more circuit training/boot camp type of stuff at the gym and get a reasonably good cardio workout in with the added benefit of a little resistance work. Sometimes it's good to do something different..I enjoy training in seasons and it fends off boredom.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i live in the Midwest. I plan on running outside. I got gortex trail running shoes, fleece lined leggings and shirts, warm head band, gloves. I still plan on getting a buff and/or turtle fur for my my neck and face
    I have a light jacket to help with wind and wet weather. I might get yaktraks.

One thing I've been making sure of is that I am visible. most items i have are at least somewhat reflective
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are some great treadmill workouts in Pinterest, check em out. Having to focus on just the current interval makes the time fly by.

• ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I switch out to metabolic circuits in the winter and do some ladder/cone drills. I also love skipping. For example, Sometimes I'll alternate between skipping, lateral moving kettlebell swings or walking swings and rowing either for time, reps/distance.

One of the other treadmill workouts I do is to mix up sprinting, lateral shuffle and backward shuffle. Another alternative is to do some no power treadmill sprints...put the treadmill into a slight incline & sprint as hard as you can for 10-30 secs. Then do a light jog or walk interval to recover.

Anyways just some thoughts but I hear you on the winter weather it sucks.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use a few apps that help pass the time. Spotify always for music, and then Zombies, Run! is another one that is kind of fun. Also Bit Gym allows you to choose a city to run through, and it pops up interesting tidbits about the area. I get 3 free workouts per month and in my opinion the upgrade is a little pricey so I just stick with the limited amount of runs.