Starting College; Freshmen 15, Eating Habits.

Options
I'm going to be going to college in September and i am going to be dorming there. I'm pretty sure, that my loans for school won't be as much as i'd like and i would probably have to rely on cheap staple foods such as ramen and other high sodium foods.

What i'm trying to say is, If i consume these things on a daily basis, (obviously probably resulting in high sodium, low nutrition) Is it still possible to lose weight? Many people talk about Freshmen 15, but i'd like to lose weight during that year. Is it possible?

P.S This is kind of off topic, but what kind of foods should i buy from groceries stores that are cheap and can be stored in a fridge? Thanks!

Replies

• xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Totally possible.
  • erinsaarela
    erinsaarela Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think alcohol contributes more to the freshman 15 than food does. Walk to your classes and around campus!
  • ttat0325
    ttat0325 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well then, It's a good thing i'm not much of an Alcohol drinker :)
    My school has a gym/workout place located in my campus, i plan on using that in my spare time.
    Thanks for the replies!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Well then, It's a good thing i'm not much of an Alcohol drinker :)
    ...and then college happens.

That said, you can buy lots of cheap food that doesn't have to be awful for you. Make use of the gyms, walk, run, swim, count your intake and you'll be fine.
  • misssophieleigh
    misssophieleigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i actual lost weight my freshman year of college. because i was walking to class, and there were more food options than i had at home (even as a vegetarian), and i was active in dance and exercising. i didn't have time to be bored, and when i'm bored i eat. i was always around other people, and i also eat more when i'm alone, so that definitely contributed to limiting my portion sizes. so don't lose hope. it is DEFINITELY possibly to not gain the freshman 15.
  • animefan914
    animefan914 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Does your dorm have a cafeteria? The university I went to had a decent salad bar and fruit selection in the dorm cafeteria, plus it put nutrition information on its website.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're smart for thinking about it.

I didn't.

I got to college at 165lbs and left at 225 lbs. It's been a rough ride ever since.

Stay active, and pay attention if you can't button your pants.

There were plenty of guys around me that did NOT follow my same path. It's absolutely possible to maintain in college.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I lost weight my freshman year in a dorm. I gained weight my sophmore and junior years because I moved to an apartment with my boyfriend who cooks for me lol.

Advice: make friends with people around your dorm. My favorite thing about living there was there were always people around to hang out with, at any given time(even 4am if you're so inclined). Personally, when I'm with other people I snack/eat a lot less than if I were alone, i guess because I'd be embarrassed to eat more than they are around them. Just having a roommate killed my snacking habits, it was great! She was so tiny, I started eating with her/like her and we could share clothes by the end of the year =]

alas I've gained it all back due to home-made stir fry and grilled cheeses and bread puddings being thrown at me by my foodie bf, but that's another story.

I'd also like to add that despite being more social than I ever was before, I made A's and just one B that year. It is entirely possible to be very social and make good grades, you just don't get to sleep =]