Scott Abel's "Cycle Diet"

Options
GeordieLaforge
GeordieLaforge Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I was wondering if anyone on here is doing the cycle diet (I'm talking about the legitimate Scott Abel cycle diet, not some other version or rendition of it).

If you are doing the cycle diet, I have some question for you about your experiences. You don't have to answer all or any of these, this is just to get the ball rolling.
How is the system working for you?
What sort of cycle are you currently doing (what/when are your off-diet meals/days like)?
How long have you been doing it?
How easy do you feel it is to stick to?
what body type do you have (are you competing/modelling)?
What was your purpose in starting (lose weight/stay lean/compete/performance gains)?
How has your metabolism been fairing? (do you have cold hands and feet? are you tired or fatigued? are you unfocused? etc.)

I've been doing the cycle diet for 3 months now (well, if you can cal it that). Since I'm still a little overweight, I can't technically reach super comp mode yet, so I've just been on the diet portion without much cycle. Its been a slow start, but I'm getting the hang of a constant slight hunger lol. These things take practice after all. I've had one off-diet half day so far, and that was because I needed it psychologically, not physiologically. It turned out to be exactly what I needed. Brought my energy levels back up, increased my motivation and pretty much reset everything.

I guess I really want some input from real people who aren't sponsored or featured in the book haha. I'm really interested in the metabolic effects of this sort of plan.

If anyone else is reading this and hasn't heard of the cycle diet, just ask some questions and I will surely answer what I can.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have heard of it. Are his calculations for how much you should eat similar to the number of calories MFP sets?
    Does he teach that in order to lose weight, you need to learn signals from your body?
  • GeordieLaforge
    Options
    He gives you initial calculations that are close to MFP values but he definitely prefers you to use biofeedback signals.

In fact biofeedback is how you're supposed to find out if you're ready for an off-diet day, by listening to body signals alone, not numbers of any kind.

This is the first diet I've ever been on, so it's hard for me to know what I'm supposed to be feeling, especially at first. I'm learning though. Its funny how following biofeedback is infinitely more challenging than just following a set number of calories.

The whole goal of the program is to gently ease the weight setpoint down to the level you want it without causing any metabolic strain. This is a way to prevent health problems and weight regain. You're not supposed to force anything and you're never supposed to be genuinely really hungry, even on diet days.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Bungie01 wrote: »
    He gives you initial calculations that are close to MFP values but he definitely prefers you to use biofeedback signals.

In fact biofeedback is how you're supposed to find out if you're ready for an off-diet day, by listening to body signals alone, not numbers of any kind.

This is the first diet I've ever been on, so it's hard for me to know what I'm supposed to be feeling, especially at first. I'm learning though. Its funny how following biofeedback is infinitely more challenging than just following a set number of calories.

The whole goal of the program is to gently ease the weight setpoint down to the level you want it without causing any metabolic strain. This is a way to prevent health problems and weight regain. You're not supposed to force anything and you're never supposed to be genuinely really hungry, even on diet days.

that statement alone makes me question the veracity of this whole "diet"

I mean I get to eat what I want just using MFP.
  • GeordieLaforge
    Options
    You really just eat what you want with the cycle diet too, its just that you have planned off-diet days where you eat as much of whatever you feel like (usually once a week or so, depending on your biofeedback). The point of these off-diet days is to stimulate the metabolism to make sure you're not falling into compensation mode where your body starts using less energy and reduces unnecessary functions (such as reproductive functions, ie: amenorrhea in women)

It apparently prevents plateau and keeps your energy levels up. I'm new to it, so I can't speak from my own experiences and I won't defend a diet I haven't personally had much results from yet. I'm really just experimenting with it to see how it goes, keeping an open mind.

I've never liked the idea of good and bad foods, so this type of system (if it works) would be good for me since it allows a lot of freedom.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Bungie01 wrote: »
    You really just eat what you want with the cycle diet too, its just that you have planned off-diet days where you eat as much of whatever you feel like (usually once a week or so, depending on your biofeedback). The point of these off-diet days is to stimulate the metabolism to make sure you're not falling into compensation mode where your body starts using less energy and reduces unnecessary functions (such as reproductive functions, ie: amenorrhea in women)

It apparently prevents plateau and keeps your energy levels up. I'm new to it, so I can't speak from my own experiences and I won't defend a diet I haven't personally had much results from yet. I'm really just experimenting with it to see how it goes, keeping an open mind.

I've never liked the idea of good and bad foods, so this type of system (if it works) would be good for me since it allows a lot of freedom.

stimulate metabolism happens with building/keeping muscles not food types and quantities of it.
    compensation mode sounds like a "fancy phrase" for "starvation mode" which isn't real. You use less calories as you lose weight and nothing will stop that.
    reduces unnecessary functions amenorrhea in woman happens at low calorie diets and low fat or too much exercise stressing the body...a decent WOE won't do that.

Prevent plateaus is another phrase...plateaus happen when you eat at maintenance...if you aren't losing weight it's either you need more patience or a food scale...

again this "diet" is a money grab I hope you haven't wasted a lot of money on it.

It's the same hog wash spewed in a lot of "diet plans".

I haven't done this "diet" and won't...I've been down the road of "diets" and always ended up failing...MFP and eating what I want but staying in a reasonable goal has helped me lose 60lbs and kept it off for over 2 years now...

• GeordieLaforge
    Options
    Also congrats Sezxy Stef on your weight loss! that's awesome for you! :)
  • GeordieLaforge
    edited November 2015
    Options
    haha no need to get defensive. I'm not saying "this is the right thing". I'm just trying it out to see how it goes. I'm not super concerned with losing weight, if I don't I'm fine with it. My main focus is learning the effects it has on me personally and continuing to gain strength and muscle mass.

I've become a lot stronger over the past year and I wish to continue on that path. I haven't paired my strength training with a "diet" until now. If it starts to hinder my performance in any way you can guarentee I will stop following it immediately. I don't want to judge anything to harshly right off the bat though, so I'm giving it a whirl. Don't worry, I'm not falling into some dogmatic way of life :p

Just don't judge me for trying something out that you're against. I'm keeping an open mind and I'm going to make sure it doesn't have a negative effect on my health.

I also got this book for free through Matt Stones website 180 degree health during a book giveaway, so money wasted is certainly not a concern haha.
  • debou5
    debou5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am actually taking his course on Udemy, and I read his book. I was really interested in his diet as I love my cheat days on Saturdays but also because I want to get leaner without going on a restrictive diet. According to the meal plan he gives on the course, I do not see how this diet could be negative on our health, we get to eat carbs, fat, protein, and veggies. You can take any other diet and there would be more restrictions on the food we can eat. The solution of eating less to lose more weight does not necessarily works, this statement is outdated.. The whole thing of the cycle diet is eating about 4-6 meals during the week 1-2 meals with protein (egg whites, cottage cheese...) , 2-3 meals with protein and veggies, and one meal with protein,veggies and carbs. Then once you feel like you getting a little more tired during your workout and you feel sluggish you just overfeed on one day and go start your diet again on the next day. It is not a starvation diet during which you lower your calories as much as you can until you cannot get out of bed because you are overtired to finally stuff your face with pizza, donuts, and other junk food. I think that to better understand Scott's method it is preferable to read his book about diet or his book against diet. ;).
    Bungie01, I will be happy to know how you are doing with the cycle diet :).
  • GeordieLaforge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @debou5 I'm doing really well thanks! Re-feed days are so unbelievably enjoyable haha, like 4000 Kcal minimum of delicious food :smiley: I'm doing re-feeds about once a week now (when I start to have cold hands) and it seems to be working well for me!

I've actually lost 8 pounds so far using this method of eating and I feel like I'm never denying my body what it wants. I have good amounts of energy and my muscles appear full and defined compared to when I was on a daily small deficit of about 100 to 200 kcal.
  • SaraBeth10273
    SaraBeth10273 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've decided to give the Abel cycle diet a try. I read the book when it came out (also got it for free via Matt Stone) but wasn't ready to commit. Now I've been dieting for about 6 weeks and I'm going to try my first "cheat" meal and see how it goes. I've just started getting really hungry, I'm cold, I'm peeing ALOT, and I've noticed a dip in energy/mood. I'm planning the meal for this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I've decided to give the Abel cycle diet a try. I read the book when it came out (also got it for free via Matt Stone) but wasn't ready to commit. Now I've been dieting for about 6 weeks and I'm going to try my first "cheat" meal and see how it goes. I've just started getting really hungry, I'm cold, I'm peeing ALOT, and I've noticed a dip in energy/mood. I'm planning the meal for this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

How much water do you drink? Maybe you do not need to drink as much.
  • SaraBeth10273
    SaraBeth10273 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

How much water do you drink? Maybe you do not need to drink as much.[/quote]

I really don't drink much water