Cellulite!

Options
Okay, I'm new to working out - I have cellulite on my thighs and fat around my knees, I'm super unhappy with it. What are some workouts I could do to tone my thighs?
Every woman in my family has large thighs, so I'm not looking for unrealistic chicken leg expectations - I just want strong, toned legs.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming my legs are now smoother from the hamstring stretches I get from gardening and yoga.
  • alyssarenea1996
    alyssarenea1996 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm assuming my legs are now smoother from the hamstring stretches I get from gardening and yoga.

I have muscle in my legs, quite a bit, my legs just aren't toned at all. I hunt every night so I walk cross country through hills in the woods every night... but that just isn't enough
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Toned is really just how much fat you have over the muscle, it's not really a thing you can do to muscles. Eat less calories than you burn. Do strength training to maintain muscle as you lose fat for the look you desire. Some great lower body exercises are squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts and lunges. As for cellulite, it's a type of fat. Even if you lose lots of body fat and slim down, you may still have cellulite.
  • alyssarenea1996
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Toned is really just how much fat you have over the muscle, it's not really a thing you can do to muscles. Eat less calories than you burn. Do strength training to maintain muscle as you lose fat for the look you desire. Some great lower body exercises are squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts and lunges. As for cellulite, it's a type of fat. Even if you lose lots of body fat and slim down, you may still have cellulite.

Thank you :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Fat reduction is a matter of eating in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. To do that, you can either eat less, move more, or do a combination of the two.

You can spot strengthen muscle and, given the proper nutritional support, can spot build muscles by working on them through a progressive resistance program. Progressive resistance programs include bodyweight programs and lifting weights. Exercising a specific muscle strengthens it and may help it to grow. It does not burn the fat on and around that specific muscle.

The appearance of cellulite may be reduced through fat loss but even the most shredded (i.e., lean) may have cellulite, depending on their genetics and skin structure. Read this article to learn about this:

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite
  • alyssarenea1996
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Fat reduction is a matter of eating in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. To do that, you can either eat less, move more, or do a combination of the two.

You can spot strengthen muscle and, given the proper nutritional support, can spot build muscles by working on them through a progressive resistance program. Progressive resistance programs include bodyweight programs and lifting weights. Exercising a specific muscle strengthens it and may help it to grow. It does not burn the fat on and around that specific muscle.

The appearance of cellulite may be reduced through fat loss but even the most shredded (i.e., lean) may have cellulite, depending on their genetics and skin structure. Read this article to learn about this:

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite

I've lost 17 pounds so far and just not seeing much a difference! Hopefully, over the next few pounds and working out I'll start to see some difference in my legs.. :)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Start taking measurements rather than relying on just looking at yourself and the # on the scale for results. Good luck.