Is this possible?

Is it possible to loose on a high intake and gain on a lower one?
I had been eating around 2500 calories a day and I was maintaining (even loosing around .2lb a day). With my busy schedule that went on for the past 2 weeks I've been only eating around 2000-2100. Since October 8th (when I started to reduce my intake), I'm up roughly 2lbs. My sodium is always under 1500 as well... any insight? Should I increase back up in hopes of loosing the two pounds?

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited November 2015
    No. There is no possible circumstance, long term, in which increasing caloric intake results in more weight loss.

Short term, you'll see nothing but ups and downs. Even if you eat *exactly* the same thing, in *exactly* the same quantity and weigh your self at *exactly* the same time in *exactly the same way ... when you chart it out it will look like this:chartkick.png

if you maintain a deficit over time, even amongst the daily ups and downs, the general trend will be downward like this:
    Bush_approval_ratings_line_graph.png

Adding more calories will flatten that curve, or even turn it upside down (gains) if you add enough.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    I respectfully disagree. It's about intake vs output. So eating the same or less calories is irrelevant. If you were too busy to eat did your marcro ratio change, did your activity level change? All of that matters. I was down to 1200-1400 calories and wasn't budging with high output but can now maintain my weight on well over 2000 calories so clearly it's not just about calories in.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I respectfully disagree. It's about intake vs output. So eating the same or less calories is irrelevant. If you were too busy to eat did your marcro ratio change, did your activity level change? All of that matters. I was down to 1200-1400 calories and wasn't budging with high output but can now maintain my weight on well over 2000 calories so clearly it's not just about calories in.

He said "if you maintain a defecit over time" ie he made allowance for calories out

My weight goes up and down like a roller coaster mainly due to ovulation and periods, but can also be change up in activity as well as sodium (which you've already discounted)

Best to accept a 5lb weight range as normal ...mainly cos it is ...don't look at your weight no anything less than the average over 6-8 week cycles

Here ...normal maintenance

kbr2onvzy6yv.jpg
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You must have been extra active during that time? that would account for something like that...
    because no, we can't lose eating more than we should..unfortunately :/
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I gain on high refined carbs controlling for calories. Water is part of it. It also just ups my fat deposition because of insulin spikes.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Yes it is. When I was done losing I maintained on 1,400 for about a year, then I decided to increase to see if I could maintain on more. I increased to 2,500, gained 2-3lbs but then stopped and have been maintaining ever since.