Which fitness tracker?

Options
2»

Replies

• livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you're only looking for something to calculate calorie burn during workouts I would suggest a Polar HRM. I used to use the Polar FT4 and was very happy with it.

When FitBit released the Charge HR I ditched my Polar because I wanted a device that would calculate calorie burn throughout the day. I was happy with my Charge HR, but noticed that it sometimes calculated steps when I wasn't moving. For example, scratching my head/playing with my hair added several steps. That annoyed me.

Now I have the Apple watch. I've had it for 2 weeks so I don't feel I can provide an accurate review just yet, but so far I enjoy it. It works well with other fitness apps as well.

Hope that helps!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I just bought a charge hr. I don't care at all about number of steps, just heart rate so it works for me.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I basically do 20 mins kickboxing and around 30 minutes of circuit training (combined cardio and body weight exercises).

That's basically pure cardio, so it should be tracked fairly well. You have to remember still, that the device monitors your heart rate. While there is somewhat of a connection between heart rate and caloric burn for some known exercises, it is really nothing more than an educated guess and should be treated as such.

If you are trying to lose weight, do not eat all of your calories back, no matter what source the predicted burn came from. For strength training, I don't count anything and eat normally except for one additional recovery shake for the day. I do the same for BJJ, except that I add a pre-workout carb/energy drink in the mix as well. I only really "use" the calories from running, cycling and similar steady-state 100 % cardio exercises, and those I halve if I feel the need to eat something extra after a long run etc.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    My Moov Now just arrived. Sadly with an almost $40 customs fee including both our countries sales tax and a small amount of duties.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OK, so I've had my Moov for a while now, and I really love it! It has helped me increase my range of motion, making my running more efficient. The calories are a bit off, but once HRM support is integrated, I think this will be the only app I will need for fitness tracking. Currently I run Polar, Moov and MapMyRun at the same time, which gets really chatty when you hit a mile mark and all of the apps try to tell you about it at the same time!

One thing I would really love is to be able to zoom in on some of the graphs, and a web service to store and analyze all of the data. The ability to export the data would be great too. Not sure what happens if you have to replace your phone, I feel you would start over with no history.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Moov!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    OK, so I've had my Moov for a while now, and I really love it! It has helped me increase my range of motion, making my running more efficient. The calories are a bit off, but once HRM support is integrated, I think this will be the only app I will need for fitness tracking. Currently I run Polar, Moov and MapMyRun at the same time, which gets really chatty when you hit a mile mark and all of the apps try to tell you about it at the same time!

One thing I would really love is to be able to zoom in on some of the graphs, and a web service to store and analyze all of the data. The ability to export the data would be great too. Not sure what happens if you have to replace your phone, I feel you would start over with no history.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Moov!

I have only had mine two days. I like it. I have not been able to use the cycling stuff (I don't run) since the weather is too cold for me to be out. I did one of the workouts, they are pretty good. My only complaint is that when I did my workout (bodyweight circuit training) it really did not measure the activity. I worked out about 13 minutes, and it gave me 3 minutes of active time. It was certainly active, so much so I couldn't finish the workout. Can't complain though, as at the moment it does not have software for a workout like that. Hopefully they get their spinning/indoor cycling program done as that will be what I am doing for the next several months now that snow is coming.