Lights/Reflective Gear for Running at Night?

Options
Any recommendations before I rely solely on amazon reviews? I run from 5-6 while my kids are at swim practice. It is a fairly busy area but there are no street lights...

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There is a thread in the Long Distance Running group with lots of tips;
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10264068/reflective-illumination-gear#Item_22
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just run with a safety vest- and my phone in case.

I don't run with any lights on me otherwise- but I Have a nice safe sidewalks- even with minimal lights it's pretty good.
  • adescut
    adescut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thats when I run. Besides wearing light colored tops, I bought a Princeton headlamp and step into it so that its snug around my waist. It will light the path in front of me for about 30 feet hands free and cars see it too.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I love the amphipod vest. I have had people stop me and ask where I got it. I also add a headlamp (I'm in an unlit area) with a white light in front and a red one behind. Ankle straps too, and my phone flashlight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I got a safety vest from Ocean State Job Lot for $2. No need to spend a lot of money. As long as it's reflective and will stay on, it will be ok.

I also got a headlamp for free from my MIL, but it's a cheap duracell one.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the info--its Los Angeles so there is a good bit of ambient lighting and lots of headlights but drivers here couldn't care less about pedestrians (or runners). I don't want to spend a lot of money but don't want to get hurt. Last winter, I just decided the safer thing to do was to read books by the pool so I may go that route again this year.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love the amphipod vest. I have had people stop me and ask where I got it. I also add a headlamp (I'm in an unlit area) with a white light in front and a red one behind. Ankle straps too, and my phone flashlight.

I have the Amphipod Pocket and love it. It reflects 360° yet is lightweight and isn't an unwanted layer in the summertime.
    amphipod-xinglet-pocket-plus-reflective-run-vest-3.jpg

• JenDetermined
    JenDetermined Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look up the Tracer 360. It is lightweight and the WHOLE thing lights up. All these products that say 360 reflective only work when the headlights hit you. THIS IS A LIGHT. The whole thing is a light. The difference in when I know that cars see me when I run in the dark with it vs anything else is amazing.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have the Kalenji Run Light from Decathlon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSVZRMZfjzo

It is excellent.

And it makes me look like Iron Man.

Which is nice.